IndiaDivine.org
Sign in to follow this  
Milly

What is a Kuldevi Maa?

Rate this topic

Many years ago my ancestors converted to another religion. But they still observe many of their previous traditions. We have a Kuldevi Maa called Dasha (Momai) Maa. Does this mean that our previous religion was Hinduism? And who is Dasha Maa an avatar of?

Many years ago my ancestors converted to another religion. But they still observe many of their previous traditions. We have a Kuldevi Maa called Dasha (Momai) Maa. Does this mean that our previous religion was Hinduism? And who is Dasha Maa an avatar of?

2hzps9h.jpg

Dasha Maa

There's also Ashapura Maa, Amba Maa, Bahuchar Maa, Charmunda Maa, Harsiddhi Maa, Khodiyar Maa, Hingraj Maa, etc. Looks like different aspects of Durga Devi, the wife of Lord Siva.

Siva's female consort is known under various names as Uma, Sati, Parvati, Durga, Kali, and Sakti. The divine couple, together with their sons - the six-headed Skanda and the elephant-headed Ganesa - are inhabiting the Mount Kailasa in the Himalayas as well as the Mahesa-dhama on the border of the material world (Devi-dhama) and the spiritual world (Vaikuntha or Hari-dhama).

The original father, Krsna, says, aham bija-pradah pita: "I am the seed-giving father." That pita (father) is Lord Siva, Sambhu, and material nature (goddess Durga) is considered the mother. By their sexual union are all conditioned souls inserted into the material nature. The impregnation of material nature is wonderful because at one time innumerable living beings are conceived. Bhago jivah sa vijneyah sa canantyaya kalpate (Svetasvatara Upanisad 5.9).

Siva is the original material male and Durga the original material female. Durga is expansion of internal energy and Radharani is the quintessence of internal energy. In that sense Durga is expansion of Radharani.

http://www.veda.harekrsna.cz/encyclopedia/siva.htm

9rira1.jpg

Bahuchar Maa

2nl8z1z.jpg

Khodiyar Maa

Arti for Dasha Maa

Kuldevi means family goddess, its the goddess that your family have been worshipping for generations. and Yes, this indicates that your family were of Hindu faith.

Check out the following site.... http://www.jaiambe.com

Most Kuldevi's are avatars of Durgra Maa.

Wow! I actually had no idea we were once Hindus by faith until recently :eek:. I have just been trying to find out my family history.

What is a Kuldevi Maa? ... And who is Dasha Maa an avatar of?

Kula devata is the family god of any family generally originates back to the time when the family originated. It can be a male or a female... when it is a goddess the kuladevata is referred to as kuladevi.

Goddess Durga is also called Mahamaya and the corruption of Mahamaya is Momai. Momai is also known as Ashapura and Dasha Maa.

In the month of Shravan the women folk of the state of gujarat observe a ten days vrat (a vrat is a penance undertaken as a ritual occasion and calls for fasting, prayer often for a particular boon, and ritual worship according to set rules – at such times stories appropriate to the religious occasion, with the deity concerned appearing as a figure in the tale, are told by an older woman to a group of women) in the honour of Dasha Maa, and also in the honour of other folk deities: Nagbai Maa and Momai Maa. A small statue is made of these mother goddesses, to which chandalo (sandalwood paste and kanku), and puja is offered daily. The image is immersed on the tenth day. During this period women pray for the improvement of their dasha or condition, perhaps their economic well being or health. They wear a thread with ten knots, and each day one knot is united. The worshipper lives on one meal a day and the food is made of wheat. Dasama stories are told in the morning, and in the evening women dance the garba. Men do not participate in any of this.

During the ten days vrat though the mata’s power is still present in the songs of garba, yet it is dwelt upon love and admiration rather than fear. The goddess is given familiar human attributes. She dresses, plays and moves as the women themselves do. The only difference is – she does it alone and in complete freedom. She is sufficiently like them in her joyful play and yet quite different in her single status.

What is a Kuldevi Maa ?

All of us have heard of a Periodic Table of Elements. Ever worndered why elements are grouped into A, B C or D group.

Let us not get into the details of Chemistry here. As a layman, i can understand that it is because of the different energy levels of the elements. Similarly all individuals are grouped into some Categories or Groups and these groups are ruled by Some divine powers.

These divine powers may be male or female. Whenever we worship these divine powers we get immediate relief. They are like our Father or Mother.

Whenever we worship a deity her energy in the form of a divine halo remains at our homes. Hence when our successors also pray the same deity the energy level is further raised and we get immediate relief and benefit.

My Great grandfather and Grandfather was a devotee of Lord Shiva & his father and forefathers were devotees of Maiya Mahaakaali. Hence, i have Maiya Mahaakaali ji as the Kuldevi and Bhagwaan Shiv ji as mu Kuldevta.

with best wishes,

Pt. Aaadietya Pandey

(astro - numerologist)