IndiaDivine.org
Sign in to follow this  
suchandra

India's 'King Khan' promises to quit smoking

Rate this topic

<table id="ss" cellspacing="0"><tbody><tr id="ss-navigation"><td id="ss-zoom-single" colspan="3">zoom-out.gif</td></tr><tr><td colspan="3">ALeqM5gLKu2a4G_awmFnLAqcaCEvMyuvMw?size=m

</td></tr><tr><td id="ss-caption" colspan="3">Shah Rukh Khan

</td></tr></tbody></table>

transparent.pngtransparent.pngtransparent.pngtransparent.pngtransparent.pngtransparent.pngtransparent.png

http://afp.google.com/article/ALeqM5gs9cdTb8nQtU6j4q6RyXhVGvOLdg

India's 'King Khan' promises to quit smoking

1 hour ago

MUMBAI (AFP) — Bollywood superstar Shah Rukh Khan has decided to quit smoking for the sake of his young family, according to a report Monday.

India's health minister has issued numerous appeals to Hindi cinema's most bankable star to quit smoking, saying his cigarette habit was a bad influence on his legions of young fans.

"I'm planning to quit smoking for the sake of my children who hate to see me smoking," the movie action hero told the south Indian daily Malyalam Manorama. "I started smoking when I was 22 and I've been smoking for the last 20 years."

Khan, 42, said he decided to quit while on a long international flight.

"The flight was no-smoking and I didn't feel the urge to smoke. So now I feel I can do without smoking," he said.

Smoking is a major problem in the country of more than 1.1 billion people, killing nearly a million Indians annually.

More than half of Indian men and about one in 10 Indian women smoke or chew tobacco, according to government figures