IndiaDivine.org
Sign in to follow this  
Tirisilex

Kali Yuga Age? Whats up with the Ages?

Rate this topic

I don't know much about the ages I've been hearing about.. I have read that we are in the Kali Yuga age... What exactly does that mean? What is the next age called and what does that mean?

That's a question that may open up a can of ..... you know...

The best idea may be to seek with the material you have access too; the whole world wide web.....

and combine what many other renditions to periods and cycles are about

i.e... see the mayan side of the idea

Or even run a google on the subject and read at least a dozen varieties of what is expected.

Personally, it appears the same as most any religious faith; a paradigm shift is to unfold.

That is without magic, omnipotence or any idea of faith; just an opinion based from observing reality combined with what most all the religions and the variety of interpretations suggest about the 'coming change' or as may be defined.. the end of kali yuga....

The mayan suggest the cycle is to be over based on the calendar they left.

No one to ask; as they are all gone. So in fairness to a neutral reprsentation; i offered something for you to look up. as to combine knowledge offers far more depth to understanding.

Kali Yuga

From Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Kalī Yuga (Devanāgarī: कली युग) (lit. Age of Kali, also known as The Age of Darkness), is one of the four stages of development that the world goes through as part of the cycle of Yugas, as described in Hindu scriptures, the others being Dvapara Yuga, Treta Yuga, and Satya Yuga. According to the Surya Siddhanta, an astronomical treatise that forms the basis of all Hindu and Buddhist calendars, Kali Yuga began at midnight (00:00) on 18 February 3102 BCE in the proleptic Julian calendar or 23 January 3102 BCE in the proleptic Gregorian calendar, which is also considered by many Hindus to be the time that Krishna left his body. The Kali Yuga is traditionally thought to last 432,000 years.

Most interpretations of Hindu scriptures believe that earth is currently in Kali Yuga, though others believe that earth is now at the beginning of Dwapara Yuga. Hindus believe that human civilization degenerates spiritually throughout the Kali Yuga: it is mostly referred to as the Dark Age, mainly because people are the furthest possible from God. The description of Kali Yuga given below is an indication of its interpretive relevance in our current worldly existence.

Hindus generally consider morality to be comparable to a bull known as Dharma. In Satya Yuga, the first stage of development, the bull had four legs, and in each age morality is reduced by a quarter. By the age of Kali, morality will be reduced to only a quarter of that of the golden age. Thus, the bull will only have one leg: morality will wait on men.<SUP>[1]</SUP>

Kali Yuga is associated with the apocalypse demon Kali, not be confused with the goddess Kali, as these are unrelated words in the Sanskrit language. The "Kali" of Kali Yuga means "strife, discord, quarrel, or contention," whereas the goddess "Kaali" means "time".

Attributes of Kali Yuga

Various Puranas (like Bhagavata 12.2) give lists of Kali Yuga symptoms. Some of them are:

[edit] In relation to rulers

Rulers will become unreasonable: they will levy taxes unfairly. Rulers will no longer see it their duty to promote spirituality or to protect their subjects: they will become a danger to the world. People will start migrating seeking countries where wheat and Barley form the staple food source.

[edit] In relation to people's relationships

Avarice and wrath will be common, men will openly display animosity towards each other. Ignorance of Dharma will occur. Lust will be viewed as being socially acceptable. People will have thoughts of murder for no justification, and they will see nothing wrong with that mind-set.<SUP>[citation needed]</SUP>

People will no longer follow the science of reason and instead be led by their emotions instead of their minds. Family murders will also occur. People will see those who are helpless as easy targets and remove everything from them.<SUP>[citation needed]</SUP>

Many other unwanted changes will occur. The right hand will deceive the left and the left the right. Men with false reputation of learning will teach the Truth and the old will betray the senselessness of the young, and the young will betray the dotage of the old. Cowards will have the reputation of bravery and the brave will be enervated cowards. People will not trust a single person in the world, not even their immediate family. Even husband and wife will find contempt in each other.<SUP>[citation needed]</SUP>

In the Kali Yuga even pre-teenage girls will get pregnant. The primary cause will be the social acceptance of intercourse as being the central requirement of life.<SUP>[citation needed]</SUP>

It is believed that sin will increase exponentially, whilst virtue will fade and cease to flourish. People will take vows only to break them soon.<SUP>[citation needed]</SUP>

Alongside death and famine being everywhere, men will have lustful thoughts and so will women. People will without reason destroy trees and gardens. As previously mentioned, men will murder. There will be no respect for animals, and also meat eating will start.<SUP>[citation needed]</SUP>

People will become addicted to intoxicating drinks. Men will find their jobs stressful and will go to retreats to escape their work.<SUP>[citation needed]</SUP>Gurus will no longer be respected and their students will attempt to injure them. Their teachings will be insulted and followers of <?xml:namespace prefix = st1 ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:office:smarttags" /><st1:place w:st="on">Kama</st1:place> will wrest control of the mind from all humans.<SUP>[citation needed]</SUP>

Throughout the age, humans become shorter in height and weaker physically as well as mentally and spiritually.<SUP>[citation needed]</SUP>

As the sin increases exponentially, so will the incidence of divine justice and wrath. Sinners will be punished sooner by apparent freak means. However witnesses to these acts of justice will have a choice to recognize the power of God and submit to Him or disregard it as a freak incident and continue on the path of Sin and eventually be destroyed in the most gruesome incidents.<SUP>[citation needed]</SUP>

[edit] Weather and nature conditions in the Kali Yuga

when flowers will be begot within flowers, and fruits within fruits, then will the Yuga come to an end. And the clouds will pour rain unseasonably when the end of the Yuga approaches.

[edit] 10,000 years era within Kali yuga

Brahma Vaivarta Purana mentions ten thousand years period<SUP>[2]</SUP> within Kali yuga of increased bhakti influence. It starts 5,000 years<SUP>[3]</SUP> after the beginning of Kali yuga, i.e. around 1900 CE given the traditional dating of Kali yuga.

In his discussion with historian Arnold Toynbee in London, Srila Prabhupada said: "I have started this Krishna Conscious Movement among the Indians and Americans and for the next ten thousand years it will increase. Then there will be a gloomy picture of Kali Yuga. Ten thousand years is not a short time. It is our duty on behalf of Krishna."<SUP>[4]</SUP>

Tiriselex,

Please tell us what's bishadi thinks he is talking about?

that's a rhetorical question.

Just a story

The Vishnu Purana is a primary sacred text of the Vaishnava branch of Hinduism, which today probably has more adherents than any other. It is one of the canonical Puranas, a branch of post-Vedic sacred literature which was first committed to writing during the first millennium of the common era. Like most of the other Puranas, this is a complete narrative from the creation of the current universe to its destruction. The chronology describes periods as long as a hundred trillion (10<SUP>14</SUP>) years! It includes extensive sections on the genealogy of the legendary kings, heroes and demigods of ancient India, including those from the epics, the Mahabharata and Ramayana. There are fascinating descriptions of ancient Hindu cosmology and geography. Of general interest is a collection of stories about the boyhood adventures of Krishna and Rama, whom the Vaishnavas believe to be avatars of Vishnu. There are also references to Buddhism and Jainism, which help establish the date of composition of the work.

This is the first time that this work has appeared on the Internet in any form. H.H. Wilson was one of the first European scholars to produce a scholarly translation of a major Hindu sacred text. His translation employs clear English which modern readers will find very readable. There is very little of the pseudo-King James style, loved by 19th century orientalists (and loathed by modern scholars). The footnotes are extensive and very helpful, with comprehensive notes correlating the Vishnu Purana with other Puranas and Hindu texts. Unfortunately, good editions of this translation have largely been unavailable in print for many years. There are some re-typeset and heavily edited versions printed in India, of dubious quality, which I can't recommend. The copytext for this etext was a very expensive photographic reproduction of the original 1840 edition (2001, Ganesha Publishing, ISBN 1-86210-016-0). This is part of a reprint series which may be obtainable from some larger urban and academic libraries.

Production notes: As per site policy, I have attempted to match the printed edition's transliteration of Sanskrit exactly. This uses Unicode, so if you have trouble viewing some of the letters in this text, please refer to the Unicode help file. Wilson used a very simple transliteration system, just an acute accent for both long vowels and alternate consonants. He does not distinguish between the dental, palatal and anusvara variants of 'n', but this will only bother the sanscritologists. Although he applied this scheme fairly consistently, there are numerous variations in the transliteration of less-common Sanskrit proper nouns (particularly in the Index). I have not attempted to correct any of these variations except for a few obvious errors, which are indicated in the usual way by links to my errata file.

There were numerous passages and words in the footnotes in Devanagari (the Sanskrit alphabet). I have created image files for these in the Preface. There were far too many of these in the body text to reproduce as images. So I have silently edited Devanagari out from the main text, altering punctuation where necessary. In most cases where he supplies a passage in Devanagari, he translates it in the immediate vicinity, so omitting these does not lose any information. In the rare case where such an omission would change the meaning of a sentence, I have inserted the placeholder '###' to indicate where a word or phrase in Devanagari was positioned.

While proofing the Index, many errors in page references were silently corrected so that the page hyperlinks would work correctly. There are doubtless other remaining page number errors in the Index, some from OCR errors (the OCR software I use, OmniPage, has trouble recognizing digits in older typeset text), some, typically, in the copytext, so this part of the etext should be considered provisional. However, the body text has been subjected to three proof passes, so every effort has been made to produce a very accurate etext.

--John Bruno Hare, March 15th, 2006.

<HR>Title Page and Front Matter

Preface

Introduction

Date of the Puráńas

Form of the Puráńas

Classification of the Puráńas

1. The Brahmá Puráńa

2. The Padma Puráńa

3. The Vishńu Puráńa

4. The Váyavíya Puráńa

5. The Bhágavata Puráńa

6. The Naradíya Puráńa

7. The Márkańd́eya Puráńa

8. The Agni Puráńa

9. The Bhavishya Puráńa

10. The Brahma-vaivartta Puráńa

11. The Linga Puráńa

12. The Varáha Puráńa

13. The Skanda Puráńa

14. The Vámana Puráńa

15. The Kúrma Puráńa

16. The Matsya Puráńa

17. The Gárud́a Puráńa

18. The Brahmáńd́a Puráńa

The Upa-puráńas

Synopsis of the Vishńu Puráńa

Book One

Book Two

The Third Book

The Fourth Book

The Fifth Book

The Sixth Book

Date of the Vishńu Puráńa

Conclusion

Contents

Corrections

Book I

Chapter I

Chapter II

Chapter III

Chapter IV

Chapter V

Chapter VI

Chapter VII

Chapter VIII

Sacrifice of Daksha (From the Váyu Puráńa)

Chapter IX

Chapter X

Chapter XI

Chapter XII

Chapter XIII

Chapter XIV

Chapter XV

Chapter XVI

Chapter XVII

Chapter XVIII

Chapter XIX

Chapter XX

Chapter XXI

Chapter XXII

Book II

Chapter I

Chapter II

Chapter III

Topographical Lists from the Mahábhárata

Chapter IV

Chapter V

Chapter VI

Chapter VII

Chapter VIII

Chapter IX

Chapter X

Chapter XI

Chapter XII

Chapter XIII

Chapter XIV

Chapter XV

Chapter XVI

Book III

Chapter I

Chapter II

Chapter III

Chapter IV

Chapter V

Chapter VI

Chapter VII

Chapter VIII

Chapter IX

Chapter X

Chapter XI

Chapter XII

Chapter XIII

Chapter XIV

Chapter XV

Chapter XVI

Chapter XVII

Chapter XVIII

Book IV

Chapter I

Chapter II

Chapter III

Chapter IV

Chapter V

Chapter IV

Chapter VII

Legend of Paraśuráma

Chapter VIII

Chapter IX

Chapter X

Chapter XI

Chapter XII

Chapter XIII

Chapter XIV

Chapter XV

Chapter XVI

Chapter XVII

Chapter XVIII

Chapter XIX

Chapter XX

Chapter XXI

Chapter XXII

Chapter XXIII

Chapter XXIV

Book V

Chapter I

Chapter II

Chapter III

Chapter IV

Chapter V

Chapter VI

Chapter VII

Chapter VIII

Chapter IX

Chapter X

Chapter XI

Chapter XII

Chapter XIII

Chapter XIV

Chapter XV

Chapter XVI

Chapter XVII

Chapter XVIII

Chapter XIX

Chapter XX

Chapter XXI

Chapter XXII

Chapter XXIII

Chapter XXVI

Chapter XXV

Chapter XXVI

Chapter XXVII

Chapter XXVIII

Chapter XXIX

Chapter XXX

Chapter XXXI

Chapter XXXII

Chapter XXXIII

Chapter XXXIV

Chapter XXXV

Chapter XXXVI

Chapter XXXVII

Chapter XXXVIII

Book VI

Chapter I

Chapter II

Chapter III

Chapter IV

Chapter V

Chapter VI

Chapter VII

Chapter VIII

In a little book

I don't know much about the ages I've been hearing about.. I have read that we are in the Kali Yuga age... What exactly does that mean? What is the next age called and what does that mean?

from a harekrisna. site

"Those who are demons, those who are sinful, nature's law is to place him in such condition that he will become more and more a demon so that he will never be able to understand what is God. This is nature's law. If you want to forget God, then God will put you in such a condition that you can never understand what is God. That is demonic life. That time is also coming. At the present moment, still a few men are interested, what is God. Arto artharti jijnasu jnani. But time is coming ahead when there will be no sense to understand God. That is the last stage of Kali-yuga, and at that time Kalki avatara, Kalki avatara will come. At that time there is no preaching of God consciousness, simply killing, simply killing. Kalki avatara with His sword will simply massacre. Then again Satya-yuga will come. Again golden age will come." Srila Prabhupada Lecture, 08-06-73, London

kind of reminds me of a living hammer ;)

and probably enjoys the heck out of how the religious folk think they are so pure. :P :P :P :P