IndiaDivine.org
Sign in to follow this  
suchandra

Spiritual Movements In The Material World

Rate this topic

Just like the temple priests complained to procurator Pontius Pilate the Roman governor of Jerusalem to take steps against Jesus and to stop him, the situation of the priestly class was very similar in Navadvip 500 years ago.

Prabhupada: “Sir, you are our protector. You are Kazi. You are magistrate. And this Nimai Pandita, young boy, He is creating so much disturbance.” “What is that?” “He has begun this chanting Hare Krsna. This is not our Hindu religion. He is chanting so loudly. Now this is the time God is sleeping. So He’ll be disturbed. So the whole society will be vanquished if God becomes angry. So He’ll be disturbed.” So Kazi… After all, Hindus are complaining. So Kazi said, “All right, I am taking steps.” So he sent some officers. And they were playing mridanga, and warned that “You cannot do this. You are disturbing here.” That is going on still. Just like our Los Angeles, it is going on. In New York also, they complain to the "Kazi", police officer. But they could not do anything. So this complaint is going on since the inauguration of the sankīrtana movement. So Kazi first of all warned. Then He did not care. Then the police also came and broke the mridangas forcibly. Then Caitanya Mahaprabhu said, “All right. We shall start thousands of men playing mridanga, and we shall go to the house of Kazi. Let us see what can he do.”

Lord Caitanya Play Told to Tamala Krsna

by His Divine Grace A. C. Bhaktivedanta Swami Prabhupada

August 4, 1969, Los Angeles

http://causelessmercy.com/t/t/690804lc.la.htm

Similar situation in London where Prabhupada feared the worst.....

Prabhupada: That means there is conspiracy. So we should be politicians also…somebody protested that, "Your Krsna consciousness movement makes the people dull." And now, you have not seen the Vaishnava. There was two fight in the Indian history. One is Rama and Ravana, and one is Kuruksetra. And the hero is Vaishnava. We are going to produce such Vaishnavas, not these dull rascals, sitting down. We don't want these Vaishavas, sitting down rascals. We want Arjuna or we want no one. That is Vaishnava. That is wanted.…that if we remain rascals, then that Gaurasundara's example will be followed. One day you'll again become crazy and close up everything and smoke. That's all. My Guru Maharaja used to say, prana arthe yanra sei hetu pracara. "One who has got life, he can preach." The dead man cannot preach. So you become with life, not like dead man. Without life… Just like all my godbrothers. They are dead men. And therefore they are envious of my activities. They have no life. If you want to make easy-going life, showing the Deity and then sleep, then it is a failure movement.

Bahulasva: Jaya Prabhupada.

Prabhupada: Now, I have given the solution. The ratha must be there. It may not move. That is another thing. It will stand. The Deity will move on palanquin accordingly. Take this sanction. And then, coming back, hold big meeting, protest meeting. Ratha must be there. It will not move. The movement will be by palanquin. I think… I don't think there is any difficulty. How there can be any objection? Reasonably? There cannot be any objection. Let the ratha stand there, and the Deity moves according to your sanction… What objection can be there?

Jayatirtha: Unless there's a conspiracy, there should be no objection.

Prabhupada: Yes. That will disclose their conspiracy. "We abide by your order that without your order our ratha will not move, go to the Trafalgar… That's all right. You have allowed palanquin. That's accepted." Do like that, tactfully. First of all, take the sanction. In America, in… They have appreciated. That Reverend Powell. No, there is no objection anywhere. Why this rascal, falling-down nation, British, they're objecting? Apat-kale viparita-buddhi. They are falling down, they will commit offense and discrepancies more and more so that they will be nowhere. I think after this Queen, this monarchy there, the so-called monarchy will be also finished. Because her son, her husband, both of them are hippies. The Queen's husband and Queen's son, the Prince of Wales, both of them are hippies. So this monarchy will be also finished. What that Mahadeva is doing there in Africa?

Brahmananda: He's not doing very well.

Prabhupada: He's a rascal, and he was given in charge. Another rascal, Syamasundara. What he's doing, sitting and…, only?

Brahmananda: Just sitting and writing things that cannot be understood.

Prabhupada: Writing where?

Brahmananda: In the temple.

Prabhupada: And the other?

Brahmananda: He's doing all right.

Prabhupada: Let him stay there. Don't allow him to come out. Yes.

Brahmananda: He was planning to leave any day.

Prabhupada: No, he cannot go. Then we shall charge you all theft charges.

Brahmananda: Which?

Prabhupada: Theft charges. He's, he stolen money, and he has stolen something in Bombay also.

Jayatirtha: Prabhupada, they still have so many debts from last year.

Prabhupada: Eh?

Jayatirtha: They still owe money for last year's festival, so many thousands.

Prabhupada: Yes. It is… And even somehow or other, he goes out, then he should not be allowed strictly either in our, this temple or that temple.

Brahmananda: Yes.

Prabhupada: Let him go to hell.

Brahmananda: Actually, he was planning to see Revatinandana Swami.

Prabhupada: Eh?

Brahmananda: He was planning to go and visit Revatinandana.

Prabhupada: Now, the Revatinandana and this man and Syamasundara is making a clique. I can understand. What they are planning, that also I know. But I don't wish to disclose it. So if these things come, then how this movement will go on? Politics, diplomacy, fraud, cheating, these are the general qualification of the western countries.

Morning Walk

at Marine del Rey

by His Divine Grace A. C. Bhaktivedanta Swami Prabhupada

July 13, 1974, Los Angeles

http://causelessmercy.com/t/t/740713mw.la.htm

In the purport to Srimad Bhagavatam 3.25.36, Srila Prabhupada states that even third-class neophyte devotees are liberated souls.

How is it possible that such neophyte devotees, who don't possess the qualities of a liberated soul, are in fact liberated?

In the purport to Srimad Bhagavatam 3.25.36, Srila Prabhupada states that even third-class neophyte devotees are liberated souls.

How is it possible that such neophyte devotees, who don't possess the qualities of a liberated soul, are in fact liberated?

I would say, it is rather praising the potency upon seeing the charming forms of the Supreme Lord and not praising the unwillingness of the neophyte. Usually neophytes will never do that, to look at the charming forms of the Supreme Lord - therefore they are neophytes. But if they do it in the right way they're liberated. To look at the form of the Lord in such away that the senses are freed from all other engagements and thus become absorbed in devotional service. But because of the neophyte's unwillingness to awaken spiritual knowledge he again performs criminal activities and liberated state is finished. That's the meaning of neophyte. If he could stay in that liberated position he wouldn't be called third-class. Just like there're criminals who upon being released from prison might immediately perform the next chapter of criminal activities and are again locked up in prison. This happens because as said in purport, those neophytes have no knowledge and are third-class.

Otherwise, what else could be the meaning of third-class neophyte?

Of course, if he can manage to stay in the liberated position what could be also possible, then this would be perfect. But who would call him when becoming situated in the liberated position third-class? This would be rather first class?

tair darśanīyāvayavair udāra-

vilāsa-hāsekṣita-vāma-sūktaiḥ

hṛtātmano hṛta-prāṇāḿś ca bhaktir

anicchato me gatim aṇvīḿ prayuńkte

SYNONYMS

taiḥ — by those forms; darśanīya — charming; avayavaiḥ — whose limbs; udāra — exalted; vilāsa — pastimes; hāsa — smiling; īkṣita — glances; vāma — pleasing; sūktaiḥ — whose delightful words; hṛta — captivated; ātmanaḥ — their minds; hṛta — captivated; prāṇān — their senses; ca — and; bhaktiḥ — devotional service; anicchataḥ — unwilling; me — My; gatim — abode; aṇvīm — subtle; prayuńkte — secures.

TRANSLATION

Upon seeing the charming forms of the Lord, smiling and attractive, and hearing His very pleasing words, the pure devotee almost loses all other consciousness. His senses are freed from all other engagements, and he becomes absorbed in devotional service. Thus in spite of his unwillingness, he attains liberation without separate endeavor.

PURPORT

There are three divisions of devotees — first-class, second-class and third-class. Even the third-class devotees are liberated souls. It is explained in this verse that although they do not have knowledge, simply by seeing the beautiful decoration of the Deity in the temple, the devotee is absorbed in thought of Him and loses all other consciousness. Simply by fixing oneself in Kṛṣṇa consciousness, engaging the senses in the service of the Lord, one is imperceptibly liberated. This is also confirmed in Bhagavad-gītā. Simply by discharging uncontaminated devotional service as prescribed in the scriptures, one becomes equal to Brahman. In Bhagavad-gītā it is said, brahma-bhūyāya kalpate. This means that the living entity in his original state is Brahman because he is part and parcel of the Supreme Brahman. But simply because of his forgetfulness of his real nature as an eternal servitor of the Lord, he is overwhelmed and captured by māyā. His forgetfulness of his real constitutional position is māyā. Otherwise he is eternally Brahman.

When one is trained to become conscious of his position, he understands that he is the servitor of the Lord. "Brahman" refers to a state of self-realization. Even the third-class devotee — who is not advanced in knowledge of the Absolute Truth but simply offers obeisances with great devotion, thinks of the Lord, sees the Lord in the temple and brings forth flowers and fruits to offer to the Deity — becomes imperceptibly liberated.

2my2s5t.jpg

Śraddhayānvitāḥ: with great devotion the devotees offer worshipful respects and paraphernalia to the Deity. The Deities of Rādhā and Kṛṣṇa, Lakṣmī and Nārāyaṇa, and Rāma and Sītā are very attractive to devotees, so much so that when they see the statue decorated in the temple of the Lord they become fully absorbed in thought of the Lord. That is the state of liberation. In other words, it is confirmed herewith that even a third-class devotee is in the transcendental position, above those who are trying for liberation by speculation or by other methods. Even great impersonalists like Śukadeva Gosvāmī and the four Kumāras were attracted by the beauty of the Deities in the temple, by the decorations and by the aroma of tulasī offered to the Lord, and they became devotees. Even though they were in the liberated state, instead of remaining impersonalists they were attracted by the beauty of the Lord and became devotees.

Here the word vilāsa is very important. Vilāsa refers to the activities or pastimes of the Lord. It is a prescribed duty in temple worship that not only should one visit the temple to see the Deity nicely decorated, but at the same time he should hear the recitation of Śrīmad-Bhāgavatam, Bhagavad-gītā or some similar literature, which is regularly recited in the temple. It is the system in Vṛndāvana that in every temple there is recitation of the śāstras. Even third-class devotees who have no literary knowledge or no time to read Śrīmad-Bhāgavatam or Bhagavad-gītā get the opportunity to hear about the pastimes of the Lord. In this way their minds may remain always absorbed in the thought of the Lord — His form, His activities and His transcendental nature. This state of Kṛṣṇa consciousness is a liberated stage. Lord Caitanya, therefore, recommended five important processes in the discharge of devotional service: (1) to chant the holy names of the Lord, Hare Kṛṣṇa, Hare Kṛṣṇa, Kṛṣṇa Kṛṣṇa, Hare Hare/ Hare Rāma, Hare Rāma, Rāma Rāma, Hare Hare, (2) to associate with devotees and serve them as far as possible, (3) to hear Śrīmad-Bhāgavatam, (4) to see the decorated temple and the Deity and, if possible, (5) to live in a place like Vṛndāvana or Mathurā. These five items alone can help a devotee achieve the highest perfectional stage. This is confirmed in Bhagavad-gītā and here in the Śrīmad-Bhāgavatam. That third-class devotees can also imperceptibly achieve liberation is accepted in all Vedic literatures.

Prabhupada: Now, the Revatinandana and this man and Syamasundara is making a clique. I can understand. What they are planning, that also I know. But I don't wish to disclose it. So if these things come, then how this movement will go on? Politics, diplomacy, fraud, cheating, these are the general qualification of the western countries.

July 13, 1974, Los Angeles

Interesting quote... This movement was on the wrong track even when Prabhupada was still present. People were riding gravy train on Prabhupada's coat tails.

There is no going back... you can only go forward.