Letter to President of United States — Los Angeles 28 June, 1972

From Vanisource

Jump to: navigation, search

Letters, 1972

The President

The White House

Washington, D.C. 20025

My dear Mr. President:

Several thousand years ago a great pious emperor ruled over this planet. He was a descendant of the great Kuru dynasty and the grandson of Arjuna, the hero of the Bhagavad-gita and the personal associate of the Lord, Sri Krishna.

The people lived under his domain in peace. He provided protection for the people and the cows, as well as all other living entities. He engaged many brahmanas, spiritual leaders, to educate his people and advise him in all matters. The people were just and God-conscious. They had a good understanding of the meaning and purpose of life and lived in happiness and prosperity. They respected their emperor and received kindness and benedictions from him.

You are a great president of a great nation. In this age of unrest and quarrel, your strength, as well as the strength of your nation, will be lasting if it is built upon the pillars of spiritual knowledge and Absolute Truth.

I am seventy-six years of age and am in the renounced order of life. I came to this country from India six years ago to introduce Krishna Consciousness, the scientific process of spiritual life, to the English-speaking people of the Western world.

Now by the grace of Krishna I have many thousands of disciples, young American and European boys and girls. Many of them have come to me bewildered, rebellious, and addicted to all sorts of sinful activities.

Like so many of the young people today, they were lost and confused. Now they are all leading a disciplined and regulated life. They follow strict principles of spiritual life, with no desire for intoxication of any kind, or illicit sex life. They are always engaged in meaningful work, serving God and their fellow man. They have become the flower of your country and all over the world they are being treated with the highest respect.

I would humbly like to request an interview with you to discuss the possibilities of my providing further service. My disciple, Atreya Rsi das (Mr. Marz Attar of Arthur Young and Company, 277 Park Avenue, New York, N. Y., phone 212-922-5957) will assist your aides to arrange a suitable time and place for a meeting.

I hope this meets you in best of health.

Your ever well-wisher,

A.C. Bhaktivedanta Swami

Letters, 1972

How did the president respond?

Looks Richard Nixon was hardly able to actually concentrate on what was written in this letter. The letter is dated 28 June 1972. Despite Nixon’s so-called secret plan and his claim to have achieved “peace with honor,” by the time he resigned in 1974, almost 21,000 Americans were killed in Vietnam during his presidency: over 36% of the total of 58,000 U.S. casualties in the entire war.

source: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/1972

"In early June 1974, White House Chief of Staff Alexander Haig had ordered the Army’s Criminal Investigation Command (CIC) to make a study of President Richard Nixon's alleged ties to organized crime and also to the smuggling of gold bullion to Vietnam. The results of that investigation, car.ried out by the CIC’s Russell Bintliff at the direction of Colonel Henry Tufts, were submit.ted to Haig in late July 1974.

Whether Haig confronted Nixon with the CIC report, or whether Haig informed Nixon’s successor, Gerald Ford, of the report and its contents, is unknown. Bintliff himself is convinced that both events occurred, and that the President’s resignation followed as a consequence of his investigative findings. But Bintliff cannot prove that, and since Haig refuses to discuss the issue, the matter remains in doubt. Still, Ford’s pardon of Nixon, enacted in the absence of any criminal charges, remains a disconcerting anomaly in Amer.ican history. Indeed, it seems almost a contradiction in terms. For how does one forgive and forget what has not been committed or what remains unknown?”

Hougan, Secret Agenda, pp. 312-313.3