IndiaDivine.org
Sign in to follow this  
bija

synesthesia

Rate this topic

http://www.synesthesia.com.au/

I have synesthesia, and would like to here of other peoples encounter with this.

It has affected me on many levels:

1: inter-relational and behavioural.

2: how I see the mind and what is apparently real

3: sensitivities

4: in relation to vedic thought and yoga (and mysticism)

5: insights

just to name a few.

Some clinicians class it as a dis-order of brain function, but it is not classed in the DSM-IV manual of psychological disorder.

It can very very pleasant, but at times almost a sensory over-load.

If I had to choose to have synesthesia or not have it, I would choose to have it.

I cannot make the visions and senses happen, its spontaneous in occurrence.

false-mirror.jpghttp://www.doctorhugo.org/synaesthesia/art/index.html

*see article:

Synesthesia seems to be a natural form of virtual reality.

It is also interesting to note that most people who experience synesthesia, describe themselves as having excellent memories. One of the most famous cases of synesthesia is that described in Aleksandr Luria's book 'The Mind of a Mnemonist' (1968) (4). Dr. Luria, a Russian neurologist discusses the case of 'S' (Solomon-Veniaminovich Shereshevsky), a man who had multiple forms of synesthesia; he could 'feel' images, 'taste' colors, and 'smell' sounds. His memory was so perfect that he could recall every minute of his life in detail. The 'united senses of the mind' is a wonderful metaphor for 'unity in diversity'.

Firstly I am not a user of ayahuasca, my synesthesia has naturally occured. It is my personal mindstate of seeing the world and understanding from the mental platform. My mothers grandparents where from South America and synesthesia seems to be genetic in some cases.

<a href=%7Boption%7Dhttp://www.mybloop.com/get/1899441/tn_syn_indian_1.jpg' alt='tn_syn_indian_1.jpg'>

Some quick points:

I am studying this thesis at the moment mainly to understand a little more about my own synesthete encounter. There is much to say on the nature of the mind and its conditioning potential.

It is so complex infact, that a spiritual systemology such as yoga, which claims to liberate the mind must surely be a profound tradition in itself.

What is of specific interest to me presently is the word 'application' used by our acarayas rather than renunciation. How to apply in yoga the synesthete experience...how to integrate that into yuktya-vairagya. This is a huge subject matter in itself, well worth exploring.

Poets etc have used metaphor to describe the synesthete experience. This has opened a door of thinking for me: if the Srimad Bhagavatam is not metaphor, what is it?

What is this spiritual vision in the Bhagavatam, and why has Vyasadeva penned it in words in such a way? What is this treasure that has come down from a higher plane to this mundane world? If the cultures around the world have experienced such profound mental experiences as above, then what is the grandness of the Vedic cultures claims?

It would be a fascinating thesis to study and read.

The mind can be the greatest of friends or the worst of enemies - Gita.

If we have expanded mind states, that have naturally occured - how to apply that in Krsna consciousness?

These are some simple thoughts of what I will be contemplating on while in this subtle/gross body. It is easy to say, 'oh we are not this body'. But infact Krsna consciousness is a science of application not denial. So how to apply the ever-evolving mind in KC? The individual synesthete who is a devotee, will find support for that pursuit, by buddhi-yoga, sastra, and guru.

The cosmic manifestation is huge - we need to look beyond the square sometimes or else we may imprison ourselves further into our own limited conditioning!

taken from the book 'The Hidden Sense - synesthesia in art and science' by Cretien Van Cempen

"...in meditation , the perceptual system is less driven by rational agent and acts more autonomously. This state of mind comes close to 'preconscious perception' described by Merleau-Ponty, which produces a holistic awareness of the environment.

Though this concept of perception was described by Meleau-Ponty in the twentieth century in Western Europe, it actually goes back to ancient Hindu and Buddhist theories of perception, as described by the Indian philosopher BK Matilala in his book Perception: An essay on Classical Indian Theories of Knowledge. According to classical Indian philosophy, all senses were originally related in one whole, which is different from the western view of the senses as separate channels. Every percepetion of the world in which this unity of the senses is broken is considered a hallucination and therefore untrue. Though this theory has few adherents in the West, it is a nice thought to ponder..."

In Van Cempen's thesis he discusses that 'pre-conscious awareness and perception' may be latent in us all, although many of us may not be conscious of it before its arising into awareness. Hence in its arising the seperation of sense faculties. He relates this 'pre-conscious experience of the senses', as expressed in art and poetry in some examples, as a relative example of the state of perception and mind of that the synesthete experiences.

Interesting. I have some experiences of this but it was brought about by my ingesting LSD. It was a well known phenomena among pyschedelic types. My experiences of it were always fleeting and vague. The one I remember the most was music was taking various colors and forms as I heard it. I still heard the music but the sound was oddly fused with the visuals. Not sure if this is something similar to what you are talking about or not.

I would not want to be in that state all the time though. It was too enchanting. I would get more lost in this dream than I am now. Of course if it were my natural way of perceiving things it may not be so distracting afterall. I find it hard to imagine.

Does this come and go with you or is it always on? I have never known anyone who perceives like this.

Just lately I have started to remember ordinary dream segments again after not remembering them at all for 20 years or so. I find it a disturbance to my consciousness which is disturbed enough.

The hallucinations on LSD and Peyote etc can give similar experience to synesthesia. The drug experience is temporary. Hallucination can vary, synesthesia visuals have a constant. For example a number in number synesthesia will always have the same color. Mine is emotion synesthesia, so each emotion will always produce the same result. (I can see and feel others emotions and my emotions. By feel I mean tactile. By see I mean visuals - not just the minds eye - so deep insight can develop if one is intelligent. It is not normal feeling and seeing like when the senses are seperated. The senses overlap. Some synesthetes have similar encounters but it can vary alot from person to person what colors etc relate, very subjective.) This is the way to define between hallucination and synesthesia, constancy of content. But yes Theist very similar to a trip. I am always on...no need to buy drugs from the hood:eek4:.

My experience is everyday (somedays like a full blown trip to use a word you would understand - but mostly pleasant - some days overwhelming), but the intensity can vary depending on the triggers. Alcohol can intensify it, but coffee eases it according to studies. It can be more visual at some points of the day, and synesthesia is always spontaneous, can not be forced at will to happen (so they say). There are ""many"" forms of synesthesia Theist, some have not been documented yet, my type seems not to be mentioned too often or if it is not scientifically understood yet and documented. I have only found one mention of it, and it says unfounded. One in thousands may have my mind vision only. I developed it as I grew, to make sense of my world, like other people make sense of their environment psychologically. My senses overlapped.

Many experts talk aboout synesthesia on a purely mind platform, I am finding it is also has relation to the soul, like siddhis can be observed by the obeserver. Some psychic abilities, and other realms I have. I have not found any studies about this, as my experience is not documented. So really its a journey of discovery....just like you and your experience of soul, mind and body. This we have in common. Maturity and growth.

It can have the potential to deepen conditioning for sure. Synesthesia can be very hedonistic, or artisitic, intellectual....what I am interested in is 'application' as our acaryas taught...how to apply my mind in Krsna consciousness. This karma has not been easy....its always difficult when others do not understand and do not experience. It would be nice to meet someone similar. Ofcourse all humans have potentialities for expanded mind in varying degrees. The mind culture can be developed to some extent if you know how.

Some say its is brain disorder, but most synesthetes find the ability is ok with them and some even have mathematical gifts, powerful memory ability etc.....so many new studies do not consider it illness. Ofcourse there are some synesthetes who find it challenging. It all depends on what goes on in the mind in each individual if you know what I mean by that. It can make one very sensitive...so its wise to choose good company:idea:.

from the book 'Hidden Sense - by C Van Cempen'

"...I have become to see them (synesthesias) as personally developed abilities to perceive uncommon multi-sensory gestalts in the physical environment. I would compare this ability to a 'hidden sense'. However, it may take a person a lifetime to unveil the hidden sense that allows her to perceive synesthesia in the physical environment..."