IndiaDivine.org
Sign in to follow this  
bloominglotus_harekrishna

My Long-Awaited FIRST Visit to ISKCON mandir - What to expect?

Rate this topic

Jai Sri Krishna everyone...

I come from a Muslim-Indian family but I have been drawn to Krishna since I was a little child. My mother always found it strange but never restricted me from learning about Krishna, reading the Gita, or from chanting either...I guess she appreciated that I was taking an interest in our culture. I even took-up playing bansuri when I was little because I wanted to be just like Krishna haha.... I sometimes told her how I became locked in his gaze and couldn't look away once I looked into his eyes...She found it a little peculiar, but has somewhat quasi-beliefs in deities as well...It's complicated. I've always felt a deep connection and devotion to Krishna, but I always had to be a little bit careful to maintain some subtlety when it came to my family so as to not outright offend them in any way...We are descendants of hindus, and were converted to Islam a few generations back. But luckily, being Indian I always had ways to go seek-out information about the golden one. But it's because I had to sort of be secretive about it that I've had to keep Krishna at arms length, and never fully divulge myself into learning, chanting and worshipping the way I would like to.

I have NEVER been to an ISKCON mandir...But I now live away from home and would just LOVE to go....

The one small problem is that I'd be by myself and I don't know what to expect:(

I have heard about how welcoming the devotees are...But have no clue what to expect when I go down there.

Any help would be so appreciated...I've waited so very long to truly express my devotion openly to Krishna, and I just cannot wait......My heart is absolutely bursting with love for Krishna, and my love keeps growing with each passing day! :)

Much love and blessings to all of you, Hare Krishna!

If you visit the temple do not expect everyone to wonder who-what-where-when-how-why you are there?

When attending the temple you should act like the majority of Indians visiting —they enter, stay, donate and leave.

You may want the same camaraderie as temple devotees share among themselves. And if so, it will come to you.

When I go to the temple the place is filled with 100's of people all over the place single-mindedly doing different services, like the cup-cake sales, baby sitting, pot washing, and other esoteric mystic stuff—it's a party to practice one's behavior when we do get the audience of <?xml:namespace prefix = st1 ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com><st1:place w:st=Krishna</st1:place> and his associates.

<st1:place w:st="on"><st1:City w:st="on">Temple</st1:City></st1:place> etiquette is what you must learn—this is very esoteric and beneficial—it will make a gentleman out of you.

My advise: ask for "maha-sweets" from some one and they will be enlivened to get some for you to eat.

Bring a camera to make a keep-sake --you'll never have a more unique visit as the first time there.

Bhaktajan

I have NEVER been to an ISKCON mandir...But I now live away from home and would just LOVE to go....

The one small problem is that I'd be by myself and I don't know what to expect:(

I have heard about how welcoming the devotees are...But have no clue what to expect when I go down there.

Any help would be so appreciated...I've waited so very long to truly express my devotion openly to Krishna, and I just cannot wait......My heart is absolutely bursting with love for Krishna, and my love keeps growing with each passing day! :)

<!-- END TEMPLATE: newreply_reviewbit --><!-- BEGIN TEMPLATE: spacer_close --><!-- / close content container --><!-- END TEMPLATE: spacer_close --><!-- BEGIN TEMPLATE: spacer_open --><!-- open content container --><!-- END TEMPLATE: spacer_open --> Much love and blessings to all of you, Hare Krishna!

Pranams to you Bloominglotus.

I too come from a non-Hindu family, so I know how odd it can feel attending a mandir for the first time. Once you enter the temple, you should bow down in front of every deity in the sanctum and offer a small prayer like "Om Kleem Krishnaya Namaha", starting counterclockwise from the entrance of the room. Some mandirs also have certain times, where people all come together to sing bhajans (the mandir I attend does this) for a period of time, and all mandirs do daily aartis. So, see if you can find out when bhajans in large groups or aartis are preformed.

I should note that in addition to ISKCON mandirs, Lord Sri Krishna is happily worshiped and propogated at other Hindu mandirs, so don't shy away from visiting either ISKCON or standard Hindu mandirs.

Again, Pranams to! :)

Pranams to you Bloominglotus.

I too come from a non-Hindu family, so I know how odd it can feel attending a mandir for the first time. Once you enter the temple, you should bow down in front of every deity in the sanctum and offer a small prayer like "Om Kleem Krishnaya Namaha", starting counterclockwise from the entrance of the room. Some mandirs also have certain times, where people all come together to sing bhajans (the mandir I attend does this) for a period of time, and all mandirs do daily aartis. So, see if you can find out when bhajans in large groups or aartis are preformed.

I should note that in addition to ISKCON mandirs, Lord Sri Krishna is happily worshiped and propogated at other Hindu mandirs, so don't shy away from visiting either ISKCON or standard Hindu mandirs.

Again, Pranams to! :)

Jai Sri Krishna

Thank you so very much for all the helpful information!! I'm so glad somebody else knows what it's like to come from a non-hindu background, but feeling so connected to hindu deities...It really has been a long time coming for me. I've been inside a mandir only once before...And it was after hours and they let me in to take a peek lol...So I'm really going in there without a clue!

I know that the ISKCON temple here has a schedule for when they do aartis, so I'm gonna call the temple to find out.

There's a BAPS Sri Swaminarayan mandir VERY close to my place, but I have no idea what the beliefs are...I wouldn't mind visiting though. It's absolutely beautiful and there's a museum inside.

Oh and also...As I understand it, you're supposed to have your legs and shoulders covered, correct?

Again thank you for your help!!!!!!

~Blooming Lotus

There's a BAPS Sri Swaminarayan mandir VERY close to my place, but I have no idea what the beliefs are...I wouldn't mind visiting though. It's absolutely beautiful and there's a museum inside.

Oh and also...As I understand it, you're supposed to have your legs and shoulders covered, correct?

I'm rather unsure of them. I understand they segregate male and female devotees while they're in the mandir.

As for the proper atire to wear, I don't think your legs need to be completely covered, just avoid wearing anything too low-cut. I would however make sure the top you wear in the mandir covers your shoulders.

Pranams to you!

Jai Sri Krishna!

My truest, humblest thanks to you both! I will most definitely let you know how it goes :)

You have no idea how much it means to me to have support + guidance like this! I feel so very strongly that this is an important time for me spiritually, and simply having a little direction has given me courage to go and seek out what my soul longs for...For this I'm so thankful, many blessings to you!!!

Hare Krishna!!!!!

~Blooming Lotus

HARIBOL!

This is in response to the other thread I had started...Sorry for the slow reply guys! My computer actually completely broke-down and I had til I had enough money to get it serviced :crazy2:

It was a nice though, and quite refreshing to take a "computer-break" and a break from the tech-world completely...Sometimes I do it intentionally and always end-up much more tuned-in and embracing much more of the world around me..

Anyways!! About my first visit! Yes, I diiiid go and yes it WAS fantastic!!! I made some amazing friends and upon walking in, my favourite bhajan was being sung - jaya radha-madhava kunja-bihari! ohhh how thrilled was i to walk in and hear that...i immediately began singing and clapping and SMiLiNG uncontrollably. I didn't feel at all out of place, I felt like I was coming HOME!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I ended-up going to the Swaminarayan temple too, many times, before my first ISKCON visit, where they have an altar for radha-krishna, as well as other deities. But it was something else to really indulge in my love for Krishna with Krishna-devotees, and just take it all in...It was more than wonderful. It was just so uplifting.

I've attended the Sunday program a few times now and shared in taking prasadam with all the amazing people there and I've learned so much...Next week is our Ratha-Yatra and I'm going to be attending both days....It's going to be so great!

This whole experience has redefined life for me....Everything, and I mean EVERYTHING has changed. My whole perception has changed. Nothing seems hopeless anymore.........There are no "dead ends" and no limitations that I can see. I see hope, endless hope. And every single day is filled with so much more meaning, now that I am fully embracing my love for the divine. Every day used to be so much of a struggle and a battle against myself...And now each day is like a beautiful divine gift from the Lord.

Living for the Lord....Is truly living.

I just feel so blessed.........Thank you all for your guidance and your kind words :) :) JAI SRI KRISHNA!!!!!!!!!!!!!