IndiaDivine.org
Sign in to follow this  
shiva2903

Naguran Swami

Rate this topic

hello, namaskar,

Does anyone know anything about the deva, Naguran Swami.

This diety is worshiped in many Mariamman, Kali Mai Mandirs throughout the diaspora.

Please post some pictures of this deva if you have any too.

Any information such as why is he worshipped, and how worship is done will be much appreciated.

Jai

hey 2903 from what i learnt naguran is a local diety to Guyanese temples for they believe he is a protector of the divine devi. however the reason for such as i was able to find out was that in the days of James Naidoo some of his pujaries pulled away to open a temple and through manifestation of the divine was given instructions that they would know what, where, when and how to open the new mandir. as faith would have it the first person to seek help was a muslim woman and she promised to give help which she did in the form of a murti and none other of Kabir Panth world renowned Fakir and a devotee of the divine Kali maa. as time went by Naag spot became his and his name became Naguran.

Wow thanks so much. My mind was leading me to think that this diety was Kabir. This is really interesting to see how religion evolves with time.

One pujari told me that this diety was metioned in both Devi Mahatmayam and Mariamman Thallatu. I have studied both texts and there is no trace of Naag, Naguran swami anywhere.

Do people offer sacrifice to this diety as well? Furthermore, I have also heard this diety referred to as a Jinn (which is a spirit being in Islamic religion), have you heard of this as well?

i myself have heard the same rumour but like you my studies shows no trace of him any where in any of the devi texts and the pujaries who tried failed to show the link. i dont think the offer sacrifice to him but i know any thing given to him they make it extra sweet. with the referance to him as a jain no i think he is not Kabir Swami was a nomad travelling from place to place nothing to much just his passion for the devine is what made him famous something like Valmiki. with the grace and blessings of the divine unknown are made famous. i think they are trying to represent Naag Baba as Naguran but the problem is that they have a murti of Kabir swami and tell us it is the human form of Naag so this is where the confusion for us takes place

Thanks for the response. I really respect your efforts in answering all the questions people post on this particular forum. Many people who practice devi worship refrain from sharing their knowlege because of ego.

May Prabhu continue to guide you.