IndiaDivine.org
Sign in to follow this  
suchandra

Vedic Culture And Money

Rate this topic

Looks like once again people are getting aware of the illusory value of paper money.

Prabhupāda: Formerly in the currency, when you go to take some exchange, it was the etiquette of the teller to ask you, “What you want, silver money, gold money or paper money?” It was their duty. If you say “I want gold money,” they will pay in gold money. Not only it is written in the paper, “I promise to pay,” but the promise was kept. If he wants, “Give me payment in gold,” they will pay. And now, to keep gold, hoarding gold, is illegal. So you cannot ask. This is going on, legalized cheating. You have to accept this paper money. That’s all. Don’t ask for gold. And there is no honesty at all. I can take paper money for my convenience sake, but how you can force me to take paper money? That is not honesty. So dishonesty begins from the government. You cannot keep gold. If you have kept gold, there will be searching, and if it is found that you have gold, you’ll be punished. In India it is now being done. There is no freedom even at your home, in your private life. Formerly, any common man could keep gold according to his desire. There was no such thing. Sometimes he would hide it even within the ground, because there was no bank. At least in India this was the practice. If you have got some gold, you keep it somewhere confidential within the ground so that it may not be stolen. So everyone should have right to keep his money as he likes. Why government should interfere? Therefore you see the Bhāgavatam, rājanya-dasyu-dharmaḥ. The government men will be like rogues and thieves.

2lt20sw.jpg

By law they will take away. It is now going on in India. I think here it is also? You cannot keep gold. Why I cannot keep gold? If I have secured gold, I can keep it. I want gold. You write, “I promise to pay,” so there must be gold coins. I must have. So many difficulties will come in the kingdom of māyā gradually. It is already come. The eight items… What are those items?

Puṣṭa Krishna: In the Twelfth Canto?

Rādhāvallabha: Symptoms of the age of Kali?

Prabhupāda: Yes.

Garden Conversation

with His Divine Grace A. C. Bhaktivedanta Swami Prabhupāda

June 28, 1976, New Vrindaban