IndiaDivine.org
Sign in to follow this  
theist

Potent anti-cancer drug found in algae

Rate this topic

Noticed this on Life Extension daily news.

Potent anti-cancer drug found in algae

United Press International

02-13-08

SAN DIEGO, Feb 13, 2008 (UPI via COMTEX) -- U.S. scientists have identified a potent, anti-cancer drug isolated from an algae found in the South Pacific.

A University of California-San Diego team of researchers led by Dr. Dennis Carson, a professor of medicine and director of the university's Moores Cancer Center, said the drug somocystinamide A, or ScA, was isolated from a toxic blue-green algae.

"We are excited because we have discovered a structurally unique and highly potent cancer-fighting compound," said Associate Professor Dwayne Stupack. "We envision it will be perfect for emerging technology, particularly nanotechnology, which is being developed to target cancerous tumors without toxic side effects."

The ScA compound was found in the cyanobacteria L. Majuscula, also known as "mermaid's hair," gathered off the coast of Fiji in the South Pacific by researchers at the Scripps Institution of Oceanography. The scientists found ScA inhibits neovascularization, the formation of blood vessels that feed tumors, and also had a direct impact on tumor cell proliferation.

The research is reported in the online early edition of the Proceedings of the National Academy of Science.

URL: www.upi.com

I hope to hear more on this. Is it just 'mermaids hair' that contains this or other blue geen algae as well? I'm hopin' it's in my spirulina.

The answer always lies somewhere in nature.