IndiaDivine.org
Sign in to follow this  
indulekhadasi

Genuine Humility

Rate this topic

One of Arjuna's 10 names is Bibhatsu. Here is the reason for this name:

As you all know, Krishna and Arjuna were very close friends. They ate together, slept together, talked together, did everything together. One day, Krishna started to praise Arjuna like anything. He kept on saying, "Arjuna, there is no one like you in all the three worlds. You managed to win Draupadi which no other warrior was able to manage. You have helped the demigods in their wars. Truly, there is no one equal to you." In this way Krishna kept on praising Arjuna. Arjuna was quite embarrassed and asked Krishna why he was praising him so much. Krishna just said, "No, no this isn't praise I am saying the truth. You are truly the greatest in the three worlds. Why don't you go and look in the three worlds to see if there is anyone like you?" Arjuna agreed to go, as Krishna was asking him to. Arjuna went to Heaven but he only saw Krishna all around him. Everywhere he looked, he could only see Krishna. He went to the hellish planets, but everywhere he only saw Krishna. The same thing happened when he came back to the earth, he only saw Krishna everywhere. But he managed to see one other thing on earth. He saw a little bit of stool lying on the ground. So Arjuna took that piece of stool and tied it in his dhoti. He then came back to Krishna. Krishna asked him, "So you came back from all the three worlds, wasn't what I said correct?" Arjuna said, "Yes, of course you are correct. I could only see you everywhere, you pervaded every atom. Now how can I compare myself with you? But I found one more thing, also. You can either say I am equal to or lower than this thing." Krishna said, "What is this thing?" Arjuna told Krishna to see for himself. He then opened up the dhoti and showed the piece of stool. Krishna was aghast and told him, "Bibhatsu!Bibhatsu! Get this out of here now!" Bibhatsu means- horrible, terrible. Arjuna threw it away but repeated himself- "You can either consider me to be equal or lower than that thing." Krishna was moved by his humility and hugged him tightly. He then said, "From now on your name will be Bibhatsu."

I felt this pastime was very touching, and I wanted to share it with all of you. Please post your comments about this topic... I would be obliged, and I would learn a lot from your realizations also!

Hare Krishna

Jai Nitai!

indulekhadasi