IndiaDivine.org
Sign in to follow this  
vedicbot

Colitis and Dairy

Rate this topic

Hi Folks,

My ques is, how long till I can eat dairy again? I find it extremely hard not being able to drink milk, it leaves me hungry.

Thanks!

I was diagnosed with ulcerative colitis 10 years ago and battled it for over 4 years. I was on very high doses of anti-inflammatory drugs, steroids and even an immuno-suppressant given to transplant recipients and cancer patients...all with little more than a month or two of relief. I was having scopes almost monthly.

My grandmother sent me a series of articles she found in the Saturday Evening Post that talked about studies using organic ultra-pasteurized milk instead of regular pasteurized. Here is the gist:

Basically, organic ultra-pasteurized milk is heated at a higher temperature for a longer period of time which kills a bacteria that some doctors believe is the source of intestinal disorders (like colitis and IBD/IBS) in some patients. I do not have the article handy, I don't recall the name of the bacteria.

I started drinking Horizon (any brand of organic ultra-pasteurized is fine, that is what was available to me at the time) after reading that article. Admittedly, I was in a period of remission when I started...but I was also still on a high dose of Colazol and prednisone. I tapered off the prednisone and eventually let the Colazol run out. I have been symptom free for almost 5 years now...with absolutely NO relapse.

I realize this may not fit everyone's case. I know it sounds a little strange, but if you weren't drinking organic ultra-pasteurized milk before, give it a try. It's worked very well for me and since I've been feeling better I've been working harder at trying to use nutrition to improve my health instead of pills whenever possible.

Hope this helps, sorry a little long-winded.

Good luck!

Bill