IndiaDivine.org
Sign in to follow this  
suchandra

Accepting Maximum Insults

Rate this topic

It is astonishing how Dhrtarastra could make it to live at king Yudhisthira's palace and how much he must have felt insulted and humiliated after the battle of Kuruksetra was finished.

6ljsz05.jpg

"At last, when everything was finished in the Battle of Kuruksetra, no Kaurava, none of the sons or grandsons of Dhrtarastra was living, neither of the Pāndavas, still, Gāndhārī was faithfully serving her husband. And Dhrtarastra was living with the nephews, Yudhisthira and his brothers. They were keeping the uncle very comfortably as elder uncle, all respect. But Vidura came there, and he criticized him, that, “You have no shame. You all along remained enemy to your nephews. Now your nephews have killed all your descendants, and you are living here just like a dog. They are giving you some morsel of bread and you are eating and living here. You have no shame. You have become old.”

So he became very sorry: “My dear brother, what shall I do?”

“Please come immediately along with me, and come to the forest.”

So Dhrtarastra went according to the instruction of Vidura. Gāndhārī followed. Gāndhārī never said that “I am now old. I have lost my children. These nephews, they’re taking care of me. Why shall I go with my husband?” No. She also went."

.....................................................................................................

Śrīmad-Bhāgavatam 1.9.48

by His Divine Grace A. C. Bhaktivedanta Swami Prabhupāda

Māyāpura, June 14, 1973