IndiaDivine.org
Sign in to follow this  
krsna

Iskcon Owes Us Nothing:‘what’s in it for me’ immediately cuts us off from the mercy

Rate this topic

<!-- end .post-top --><!-- the main section of the post goes here -->By Kesava Krsna Dasa

Sometimes spiritual practitioners feel that after doing years of solid selfless service for Iskcon, they are entitled to some privileges, or what could be deemed a payback. Is it correct to expect such things? Would the services rendered be truly selfless with this expectancy? Does Iskcon owe us anything?

Such charity may come in the form of a trip to the holy dhama, some financial help, accommodation or whatever. After all, how uncommon it is in kali-yuga to sacrifice ones precious time, possessions, body, mind and soul in the fire of surrender; do we not deserve something at least? Or is Iskcon exempt from such things?

Many older devotees will remember how after first joining Iskcon with some raw and budding enthusiasm, they were encouraged to ‘savor the moment’ as it were. The intense but ecstatic engagement of frequent Hari-namas, book distribution and blissfully destitute way of life, made renunciation seem like a dainty stroll in King Indra’s palace gardens.

Then some reality set in. Not everybody is a happy renunciate. After some time, one will assume a little responsibility and be exposed to the likes and dislikes of those under care. Such paternal instincts will give a level-headed sobriety, or a rampant authoritarian keenness which will likely test the willingness to serve selflessly or not. A test of character beckons for one to see how ‘do it for Me’ as Lord Krishna says, does not become ‘do it for me.’

If the conscience is not very clear, the rightful attitude of ‘ask not what Iskcon can do for you, but what you can do for Iskcon’ approach will blur the fine distinction between being the doer with ownership permits, and utilizing everything in Krishna’s service, which can extend to other areas of life.

With a promise of lifelong commitment, one may consider for example, “If I remain in Iskcon until I am old and invalid, will I be looked after nicely?” Or, “Should I get married and fend for myself. At least I can lessen such worries.” Such vacillating moods make renunciation seem like a poisonous weighty burden. The exceptional reasons for joining Iskcon now fade into choices between enduring dedication and measured leisurely spurts.

Further on, if puzzlement still clouds the thinking, one will reach seniority level and expect reverence for imparting sagely wisdom, and for being a father or mother, uncle or auntie. Such cozy warmth from the juniors can lead one to wonder when the next flower garland will come. Such a dangerous thought! Why wait for flowers to come? We should be planting our own garden.

Any slight trace of ‘what’s in it for me,’ immediately cuts us off from the flow of mercy which oozes with abundance, but is not always captured. With little mercy and a hint of selfishness the creeper of Bhakti tends towards unwanted foliage, making one wonder why there is no spiritual advancement. Iskcon can be a bewildering place for the selfish.

Nature has it that we come into this world with nothing (except our karma) and leave this world with nothing (except additional karma). Many of us come to Iskcon with something, and some want to leave with something too. “I have given my life, everything to this movement. I now have no job experience or prospects, no money, nothing. Can Iskcon not spare me something?” Is Iskcon obliged to help?

Iskcon can be variously described as being non-different from Krishna, as Srila Prabhupada’s body, or as a house in which the whole world can live. In either case surrender to guru and Krishna entails no returns, except to seek mercy and blessings to advance in Krishna consciousness. These are the blissful returns which can only be appreciated on the platform of renunciation – sannyasa.

The mood of sannyasa refers not to a status or asrama, but a universal disposition adopted by all sincere servants of Srila Prabhupada’s Iskcon. Srila Prabhupada writes,

“There are many members of the International Society for Krishna Consciousness who work very hard in the office or in the factory or some other place, and whatever they earn they give to the society. Such highly elevated souls are actually sannyasis and are situated in the renounced order of life.” (BG 18.11 purport)

Being in sannyasa mode can make one callous, even sometimes as a form of protection against Maya. This is usually visible in younger devotees. The mellow caring stance developed through maturity and purity will ensure genuine friendship and love for all, which is why it is essential to have senior devotees actively involved, and who can balance the callous with affectionate care.

It may seem that if Iskcon owes us nothing, then we are serving in an unforgiving environment. The catch is, while being renounced, we endear all members with a fond sense of belonging by treating our fellow brothers and sisters, grandfathers, fathers and mothers, uncles and aunties, nieces and nephews with respect and love, so the house of Iskcon truly becomes a family affair, in sickness and health.

Whatever image is portrayed of Iskcon in the public eye – positive or negative - can only be made by individuals within. People generally want to be part of a winning team, an illustrious heritage, and a renowned institutional brand. If we serve the purposes of Iskcon in true sannyasa mode, renouncing all sense of wanting from Iskcon, Iskcon can shine as a symbol of hope for all.

This renunciation is actually the sustainer of our lives and the good image of Iskcon. Srila Krsnadasa Kaviraja dasa Goswami states,

“Renunciation is the basic principle sustaining the lives of Sri Chaitanya Mahaprabhu’s devotees. Seeing this renunciation, Sri Chaitanya Mahaprabhu, the Supreme Personality of Godhead, is extremely pleased.” (CC Antya 6.220)

Srila Prabhupada mentions the International Society for Krishna Consciousness in his purport to a verse speaking of using everything in Krishna’s service.

“Whatever you do, whatever you eat, whatever you offer or give away, and whatever austerities you perform – do that, O son of Kunti, as an offering to Me.”

(BG 9.27)

In other words, Iskcon is the facilitator which accepts all our self-sacrificing and noble deeds through serving the vaisnavas.

“Acts of sacrifice, charity and penances are not to be given up; they must be performed. Indeed, sacrifice, charity and penances purify even the great souls.” (BG 18.5)

If Iskcon is our ‘sarangati,’ our place of surrender, it would defy all reasoning to expect something in return from it. If we are so extremely vulnerable as to depend on the very air to breathe, yet think in terms of ownership, ruler ship and other separatist ideas, we will lack the necessary humility to surrender everything in the fire of sarangati, and our understanding warps accordingly.

We can beg for resources to do our given services efficiently. We can beg for the association of the vaisnava and serve them. But whatever may be binding to us in any way within Iskcon, whether legally, in trust, in property and so on is given by the grace of Srila Prabhupada and his followers. These privileges are given for free, and free service though of great spiritual value is only meaningful when we expect nothing in return – Iskcon owes us nothing.

Ys, Kesava Krsna dasa – GRS.

<!-- end .post-top --><!-- the main section of the post goes here -->By Kesava Krsna Dasa

Sometimes spiritual practitioners feel that after doing years of solid selfless service for Iskcon, they are entitled to some privileges, or what could be deemed a payback. Is it correct to expect such things? Would the services rendered be truly selfless with this expectancy? Does Iskcon owe us anything?

Such charity may come in the form of a trip to the holy dhama, some financial help, accommodation or whatever. After all, how uncommon it is in kali-yuga to sacrifice ones precious time, possessions, body, mind and soul in the fire of surrender; do we not deserve something at least? Or is Iskcon exempt from such things?

Many older devotees will remember how after first joining Iskcon with some raw and budding enthusiasm, they were encouraged to ‘savor the moment’ as it were. The intense but ecstatic engagement of frequent Hari-namas, book distribution and blissfully destitute way of life, made renunciation seem like a dainty stroll in King Indra’s palace gardens.

Then some reality set in. Not everybody is a happy renunciate. After some time, one will assume a little responsibility and be exposed to the likes and dislikes of those under care. Such paternal instincts will give a level-headed sobriety, or a rampant authoritarian keenness which will likely test the willingness to serve selflessly or not. A test of character beckons for one to see how ‘do it for Me’ as Lord Krishna says, does not become ‘do it for me.’

If the conscience is not very clear, the rightful attitude of ‘ask not what Iskcon can do for you, but what you can do for Iskcon’ approach will blur the fine distinction between being the doer with ownership permits, and utilizing everything in Krishna’s service, which can extend to other areas of life.

With a promise of lifelong commitment, one may consider for example, “If I remain in Iskcon until I am old and invalid, will I be looked after nicely?” Or, “Should I get married and fend for myself. At least I can lessen such worries.” Such vacillating moods make renunciation seem like a poisonous weighty burden. The exceptional reasons for joining Iskcon now fade into choices between enduring dedication and measured leisurely spurts.

Further on, if puzzlement still clouds the thinking, one will reach seniority level and expect reverence for imparting sagely wisdom, and for being a father or mother, uncle or auntie. Such cozy warmth from the juniors can lead one to wonder when the next flower garland will come. Such a dangerous thought! Why wait for flowers to come? We should be planting our own garden.

Any slight trace of ‘what’s in it for me,’ immediately cuts us off from the flow of mercy which oozes with abundance, but is not always captured. With little mercy and a hint of selfishness the creeper of Bhakti tends towards unwanted foliage, making one wonder why there is no spiritual advancement. Iskcon can be a bewildering place for the selfish.

Nature has it that we come into this world with nothing (except our karma) and leave this world with nothing (except additional karma). Many of us come to Iskcon with something, and some want to leave with something too. “I have given my life, everything to this movement. I now have no job experience or prospects, no money, nothing. Can Iskcon not spare me something?” Is Iskcon obliged to help?

Iskcon can be variously described as being non-different from Krishna, as Srila Prabhupada’s body, or as a house in which the whole world can live. In either case surrender to guru and Krishna entails no returns, except to seek mercy and blessings to advance in Krishna consciousness. These are the blissful returns which can only be appreciated on the platform of renunciation – sannyasa.

The mood of sannyasa refers not to a status or asrama, but a universal disposition adopted by all sincere servants of Srila Prabhupada’s Iskcon. Srila Prabhupada writes,

“There are many members of the International Society for Krishna Consciousness who work very hard in the office or in the factory or some other place, and whatever they earn they give to the society. Such highly elevated souls are actually sannyasis and are situated in the renounced order of life.” (BG 18.11 purport)

Being in sannyasa mode can make one callous, even sometimes as a form of protection against Maya. This is usually visible in younger devotees. The mellow caring stance developed through maturity and purity will ensure genuine friendship and love for all, which is why it is essential to have senior devotees actively involved, and who can balance the callous with affectionate care.

It may seem that if Iskcon owes us nothing, then we are serving in an unforgiving environment. The catch is, while being renounced, we endear all members with a fond sense of belonging by treating our fellow brothers and sisters, grandfathers, fathers and mothers, uncles and aunties, nieces and nephews with respect and love, so the house of Iskcon truly becomes a family affair, in sickness and health.

Whatever image is portrayed of Iskcon in the public eye – positive or negative - can only be made by individuals within. People generally want to be part of a winning team, an illustrious heritage, and a renowned institutional brand. If we serve the purposes of Iskcon in true sannyasa mode, renouncing all sense of wanting from Iskcon, Iskcon can shine as a symbol of hope for all.

This renunciation is actually the sustainer of our lives and the good image of Iskcon. Srila Krsnadasa Kaviraja dasa Goswami states,

“Renunciation is the basic principle sustaining the lives of Sri Chaitanya Mahaprabhu’s devotees. Seeing this renunciation, Sri Chaitanya Mahaprabhu, the Supreme Personality of Godhead, is extremely pleased.” (CC Antya 6.220)

Srila Prabhupada mentions the International Society for Krishna Consciousness in his purport to a verse speaking of using everything in Krishna’s service.

“Whatever you do, whatever you eat, whatever you offer or give away, and whatever austerities you perform – do that, O son of Kunti, as an offering to Me.”

(BG 9.27)

In other words, Iskcon is the facilitator which accepts all our self-sacrificing and noble deeds through serving the vaisnavas.

“Acts of sacrifice, charity and penances are not to be given up; they must be performed. Indeed, sacrifice, charity and penances purify even the great souls.” (BG 18.5)

If Iskcon is our ‘sarangati,’ our place of surrender, it would defy all reasoning to expect something in return from it. If we are so extremely vulnerable as to depend on the very air to breathe, yet think in terms of ownership, ruler ship and other separatist ideas, we will lack the necessary humility to surrender everything in the fire of sarangati, and our understanding warps accordingly.

We can beg for resources to do our given services efficiently. We can beg for the association of the vaisnava and serve them. But whatever may be binding to us in any way within Iskcon, whether legally, in trust, in property and so on is given by the grace of Srila Prabhupada and his followers. These privileges are given for free, and free service though of great spiritual value is only meaningful when we expect nothing in return – Iskcon owes us nothing.

Ys, Kesava Krsna dasa – GRS.

Safe to say I wont be joining Iskcon anytime soon. :)

Safe to say I wont be joining Iskcon anytime soon. :)
Looks like you're the real ISKCON. What is ISKCON - isnt the actual meaning of ISKCON to understand that, Krishna is the Supreme Personality of Godhead? Why consider ISKCON as some designation? The founder of ISKCON never intended to set up a designation but the very quality of the soul, to strive for God, whatever you might be, Christian, Muslim, black or white.

ISKCON defined: "So we are all part and parcel of God. We are part and parcel of God; therefore we have got the same quality just like a particle of gold has got the same quality as the big gold, and the small drop of sea water has got the same chemical composition as the large mass water. That God is sac-cid-ananda-vigrahah [bs. 5.1], eternal, full of bliss and knowledge."

How someone can say, I'm not ISKCON? :D

Again caught, zero providing content to the forum but always on the qui vive finding faults in others posts. Thanks a lot, this is the real ISKCON?

Yep, that's me. Worthless fault-finder (in this instance poking fun at AncientMariner and his/her "Safe to say I wont be joining Iskcon anytime soon" comment and not you, in case that wasn't obvious).

For the sake of accuracy, I grew up in ISKCON communities, but I have no formal ties to the institution.

I still *do* hope to find a place in the eternal ISKCON, though.