IndiaDivine.org
Sign in to follow this  
whitelotus

Neck beads/Offences?

Rate this topic

hare bole!

I was wondering what are the offences someone can commit while wearing the neck beads? I know your always suppose to keep it on it...but i really wanted to know the offences a devotee can make without knowing they are commiting that mistake.

Thank you.:)

I have found myself chewing on my neck beads at times. I have a sneaking suspicion that *that* is offensive.

hare bole!

I was wondering what are the offences someone can commit while wearing the neck beads? I know your always suppose to keep it on it...but i really wanted to know the offences a devotee can make without knowing they are commiting that mistake.

Thank you.:)

It was back in '80 I guess. I was working at the College, designing computer systems by day and teaching programming and system design at night. Somehow after a staff meeting, two male teachers, a female teacher and I decided to go back to her house out on Picton Island in the cottage area.

Well, shortly after we got there the other two guys decided to leave. She offered to create some herbal tea and innocent as I was (sorta) I stayed, just the two of us. I guess maybe it had been a setup. I stretched and that caused my neckbeads to break while she was in the kitchen. Fortunately my shirt was tucked in, catching the beads in my belly. I was devastated, and making some lame excuse, I left quickly.

It seems that 'romance' is not one of the offences one can do while wearing neckbeads. Of course, looking back, it was very beneficial not only in that dangerous situation but also in so many others that may have come along after that day.

So Mr. Stud-muffin gets cured once again by a higher attachment defeating another lower attachment. And the battle continued.

I stretched and that caused my neckbeads to break while she was in the kitchen. Fortunately my shirt was tucked in, catching the beads in my belly. I was devastated, and making some lame excuse, I left quickly.

Well, someone of a different mindset (and with less sukriti) might have seen this as a sign to "go for it".

Well, someone of a different mindset (and with less sukriti) might have seen this as a sign to "go for it".
Haha. Not me - a few minutes of thrills followed by weeks of joining the walking dead. It's no bargain at all.

Obviously I've been there, dung that.

I don't think that Nitai-Gaura would ever be offended if a pious soul wanted to wear tulasi neckbeads to show remembrance and devotion to them.

If they break just fix them.

Don't over-analyze it.

Just wear the beads and remember Tulasi devi.

Krishna will appreciate any act of devotion.

I am starting to re-think my estimation that you might be nitya-siddha.:D

Welcome to the ranks of the nitya-baddhas!:D

Get with the program homey.

You are meant for something great.:cool:

I am starting to re-think my estimation that you might be nitya-siddha.:D

Welcome to the ranks of the nitya-baddhas!:D

Get with the program homey.

You are meant for something great.:cool:

I was trying to point out that gHari is not your typical hormone-driven male, not suggesting that he made a mistake.

If you think I'm a bhaddas (bad-a$$), then I'm flattered.

If you think I'm a bhaddas (bad-a$$), then I'm flattered.

Baddhas is plural for Baddha.( I spelled it wrong in haste)(I was cooking dinner for the offspring.)

I think you are a sweetie.

I am the A-hole around here and don't start steppin' on me toes.:D

You have a long journey ahead raising them children alone.

I have been there and done that.

But, it has always been a labor of love and I loved every minute of it and I wouldn't trade them for all the official ISKCON disciples a man can accumulate.

At least you have some extended family to help.

I never had that.

Still, I admire you and I wish you all the best.:pray:

Please accept my fallen obeisances, Prabhu.

Time to head home and follow in your cooking example (if I don't wimp out and buy a frozen soy cheese pizza).

Let's see...just how many offenses have I committed with my neck beads on around my neck today?

In any case, beyond the fun explanation for neck beads--that they are a dog collar by which the Lord can pull us out of the ocean of misery (or is that what the sikha is for?)--I think of the neck beads as a reminder that I am a servant and not a master, and that there is so much more to Reality than the mundanity in which I often find myself immersed.

It doesn't do anybody any good to get paranoid about Krishna watching over every neck-bead wearing offender, jotting down notes in his little black book. The Sweet Lord has better things to do, doesn't he?

Baddhas is plural for Baddha.( I spelled it wrong in haste)(I was cooking dinner for the offspring.)

I think you are a sweetie.

I am the A-hole around here and don't start steppin' on me toes.:D

You have a long journey ahead raising them children alone.

I have been there and done that.

But, it has always been a labor of love and I loved every minute of it and I wouldn't trade them for all the official ISKCON disciples a man can accumulate.

At least you have some extended family to help.

I never had that.

Still, I admire you and I wish you all the best.:pray:

neck beads are a public display, so our very behavior while wearing them is very crucial.

My greatest offense, still disturbing me to this day is when I was hitchhiking as a brahmacari, way back when. I was freshly entered into the temple life, very rural situation on a farm. I had a long day, very tired, and just wanted to get to my hut and crash, because cow milking began at two AM. Anyway, these nice folks gave me a ride, and they had a bud going. Naturally, they passed it to me, and since I was New to not smokin ganja, I let my guard down and took a hit.

Now, dont get me wrong, I liked the hit, it really worked, took the edge off my stress, which is what it is supposed to do. My smoking herb is not the issue. What is the issue is my neckbeads, because the person turned to me, saying, "I didnt know you guys smoked da kine." I gave a humble reply, "THEY dont, I still do, I guess."

Smoking herb is not a problem, it is a silly habit that will die away as one makes advancement. The problem is misrepresenting my spiritual master, which I did that day. I have not worn kunti mala since that day, even though later I cleaned up, got initiated, the whole bit.

So I gotta be extra ready when yamas boys come snooping around. They arent too sharp, Im gonna have to have enough left to ask for a meeting with their supervisor, or at least his human resource manager, to tell them about the meditative and invisible kunti mala I do wear.

haribol, ys, mahaksadasa

neck beads are a public display, so our very behavior while wearing them is very crucial.

I hear that mahak. I don't wear them either. I also never take my bed bag in public. Japa walks in public for me is done with a clicker and silently or nearly so.

I still find myself trancing out on and flirting with the female forms. Behavior must precede display just as example trumps precept.

Of course a strand of tulsi beads would not mean much here in Berkeley where such beads or similar are quite the fashion. A bead bag would be quite a statement still.

Sometimes I see catholic priests with their priest collars on smoking while walking around in public and it looks bad. Much worse then someone with lust a smoking addiction ever would.

I have only seen that one once with a devotee. Woman who visits the temple in full sari and tilak hanging around downtown smoking. Looked horrible.

A worst case was this devotee from Badger back around 1991 came up to Berkeley and was associating at the temple here. Then a cop comes to the temple door. He was looking for this guy who was chased from Whole Foods market as they caught him shoplifting in a dhoti. He never came back to the temple and that was lucky for him because we were going to turn him in to the cops. Whole Foods was friendly to the temple and helping with the Sunday feast by supplying cases of bhoga on a regular basis.

One thoughless act can undo much hard earned rapport built up with the community.