</center>

<center>
ksiram yatha dadhi vikara-visesa-yogat

sanjayate na hi tatah prthag asti hetoh

yah sambhutam api tatha samupaiti karyad

govindam adi-purusam tam aham bhajami
</center>

<center> SYNONYMS

</center> ksiram--milk; yatha--as; dadhi--yogurt; vikara-visesa--of a special transformation; yogat--by the application; sanjayate--is transformed into; na--not; hi--indeed; tatah--from the milk; prthak--separated; asti--is; hetoh--which is the cause; yah--who; sambhutam--the nature of Lord Siva; api--also; tatha--thus; samupaiti--accepts; karyat--for the matter of some particular business; govindam--Govinda; adi-purusam--the original person; tam--Him; aham--I; bhajami--worship. <center> TRANSLATION

</center> Just as milk is transformed into curd by the action of acids, but yet the effect curd is neither same as, nor different from, its cause, viz., milk, so I adore the primeval Lord Govinda of whom the state of Sambhu is a transformation for the performance of the work of destruction.

<center> PURPORT

</center> (The real nature of Sambhu, the presiding deity of Mahesa-dhama, is described.) Sambhu is not a second Godhead other than Krsna. Those, who entertain such discriminating sentiment, commit a great offense against the Supreme Lord. The supremacy of Sambhu is subservient to that of Govinda; hence they are not really different from each other. The nondistinction is established by the fact that just as milk treated with acid turns into curd so Godhead becomes a subservient when He Himself attains a distinct personality by the addition of a particular element of adulteration. This personality has no independent initiative. The said adulterating principle is constituted of a combination of the stupefying quality of the deluding energy, the quality of nonplenitude of the marginal potency and a slight degree of the ecstatic-cum-cognitive principle of the plenary spiritual potency. This specifically adulterated reflection of the principle of the subjective portion of the Divinity is Sadasiva, in the form of the effulgent masculine-symbol-god Sambhu from whom Rudradeva is manifested. In the work of mundane creation as the material cause, in the work of preservation by the destruction of sundry asuras and in the work of destruction to conduct the whole operation, Govinda manifests Himself as guna-avatara in the form of Sambhu who is the separated portion of Govinda imbued with the principle of His subjective plenary portion. The personality of the destructive principle in the form of time has been identified with that of Sambhu by scriptural evidences that have been adduced in the commentary. The purport of the Bhagavata slokas, viz., vaisnavanam yatha sambhuh, etc., is that Sambhu, in pursuance of the will of Govinda, works in union with his consort Durgadevi by his own time energy. He teaches pious duties (dharma) as stepping-stones to the attainment of spiritual service in the various tantra-sastras, etc., suitable for jivas in different grades of the conditional existence. In obedience to the will of Govinda, Sambhu maintains and fosters the religion of pure devotion by preaching the cult of illusionism (Mayavada) and the speculative agama-sastras. The fifty attributes of individual souls are manifest in a far vaster measure in Sambhu and five additional attributes not attainable by jivas are also partly found in him. So Sambhu cannot be called a jiva. He is the lord of jiva but yet partakes of the nature of a separated portion of Govinda. (Sri Brahma Samhita, translation by Srila Bhaktisiddhanta Saraswati Thakur Prabhupad.)

<hr width="100%">

Guest guest

oh no not again!! lol! This old lame quote of curd milk thing doing its rounds again from the HK circles!! The only things you guys love quoting about Lord Shiva's position. milk-curd and yatha Shambhu quote. Common! Get serious!! What happened to the long and real description of Krsna's arduous worship he did to Lord Shiva? I'm sure you have some ready explaination for this too as for everything else. But it ain't selling! Except in the HK temple.

Guest guest

We don't accept BSST's or SP's everything as ultimate authority. :D

This is a compromised position on the position on Lord Shiva, hence doesn't hold much authority.

We don't accept BSST's or SP's everything as ultimate authority. :D

This is a compromised position on the position on Lord Shiva, hence doesn't hold much authority.

so, you are saying that Narayana is not the Lord of Vaikuntha?

Where does your book say Siva is Lord of Vaikuntha?

Guest guest

so, you are saying that Narayana is not the Lord of Vaikuntha?

Where does your book say Siva is Lord of Vaikuntha?

Why don't you read Shiva Purana and Shiva Gita for a change? :)

Śrī Brahma-saḿhitā 5.43

goloka-nāmni nija-dhāmni tale ca tasya

devi maheśa-hari-dhāmasu teṣu teṣu

te te prabhāva-nicayā vihitāś ca yena

govindam ādi-puruṣaḿ tam ahaḿ bhajāmi

SYNONYMS

goloka-nāmniin the planet known as Goloka Vṛndāvana; nija-dhāmni — the personal abode of the Supreme Personality of Godhead; talein the part underneath; ca — also; tasya — of that; devi — of the goddess Durgā; maheśa — of Lord Śiva; hari — of Nārāyaṇa; dhāmasuin the planets; teṣu teṣuin each of them; te te — those respective; prabhāva-nicayāḥ — opulences; vihitāḥ — established; ca — also; yena — by whom; govindamGovinda; ādi-puruṣam — the original person; tam — Him; ahamI; bhajāmi — worship.

TRANSLATION

Lowest of all is located Devī-dhāma [mundane world], next above it is Maheśa-dhāma [abode of Maheśa]; above Maheśa-dhāma is placed Hari-dhāma [abode of Hari] and above them all is located Kṛṣṇa's own realm named Goloka. I adore the primeval Lord Govinda, who has allotted their respective authorities to the rulers of those graded realms.

PURPORT

The realm of Goloka stands highest above all others. Brahmā looking up to the higher position of Goloka is speaking of the other realms from the point of view of his own realm: the first in order is this mundane world called Devī-dhāma consisting of the fourteen worlds, viz., Satyaloka, etc.; next above Devī-dhāma is located Śiva-dhāma one portion of which, called Mahākāla-dhāma, is enveloped in darkness; interpenetrating this portion of Śiva-dhāma there shines the Sadāśivaloka, full of great light. Above the same appears Hari-dhāma or the transcendental Vaikuṇṭhaloka. The potency of Devī-dhāma, in the form of the extension of Māyā, and that of Śivaloka, consisting of time, space and matter, are the potency of the separated particles pervaded by the penumbral reflection of the subjective portion of the Divinity. But Hari-dhāma is ever resplendent with transcendental majesty and the great splendor of all-sweetness predominates over all other majesties in Goloka. The Supreme Lord Govinda by his own direct and indirect power has constituted those respective potencies of those realms.

Devotee: Does a jiva attain the position of Siva?

Srila Guru Maharaj: Yes, he can be 'Siva,' when he is out of the clutches of Maya; and the Vaikuntha devotee is more than Siva. When a spiritual molecule is free from the clutches of the exploitation tendency, he is known as 'Siva.'

Pasa-baddho bhavej jivah pasa-muktah sadasivah:

When he is entangled, he is ‘jiva,’ and when he is free, he is 'Siva' (Sivo 'ham). But Krsna said, when giving His blessings to Uddhava (Bha: 11.14.15):

na tatha me priyatama atmayonir na sankarah

na ca sankarsano na srir naivatma ca yatha bhavan

"Neither Brahma nor Siva are as dear to Me as you; My elder brother Sankarsana is not as dear to Me as you, nor even Laksmi Devi. Even My own Self is not as dear to Me as you."

Such is the position of a devotee, a bhakta. He's above Brahma, he's above Siva, he's above Sankarsana, he's above Laksmi - he's above Krsna Himself, by the free, sweet will of Krsna. Aham bhakta-paradhinah. This is running in the current of love, not of justice: through affection.

Did you catch this one Muralidhara?

See what Srila Guru Maharaja says about Siva..........:D

Devotee: The conditioned soul has some attraction to Lord Siva in Mahesa Dhama. What is Lord Siva's position?

Srila Guru Maharaj: His position is as a master of this Maya, Illusory Potency. He is not a slave of misunderstanding, although he remains in the relativity of misunderstanding. He remains in a masterly position. In his Brhad-Bhagavatamrtam, Srila Sanatana Goswami has explained that when one becomes liberated, Mayadevi comes to him, saying, "Why do you leave me? I would like to serve you, don't forsake me!" In this way, she again comes to offer her service to Siva, that is, the liberated soul. If he is enticed by that charm, he may again enter the mundane world, but if he has the attitude and sraddha within himself to deal indifferently, he neglects it and goes upwards: "No, I have my engagement, my duty. I have no time to satisfy anyone by accepting their service. I have my Lord, I must serve Him."

Kshamabuddhi

Thanks for this.

I had the great fortune of spending a few months with Srila Guru Maharaja during the rainy season one year, when almost nobody else from the west was in Nabadwip. At that time, the season of Pujas came around. When it was Durga Puja, one day Guru Maharaj explained all about the Chhandi (Goddess) scriptures to me, spending about an hour and a half talking with just me and Haricharan (an elderly bengali brahmacari, who is my siska guru).

Guru Maharaj explained all about Siva and quoted this sloka "Pasa-baddho bhavej jivah pasa-muktah sadasivah"

On another day he talked all about Shiva tattva.

THere were so many things he talked about at that time.

I have never seen a published lecture by Guru Maharaj where he quotes this verse Pasa-baddho bhavej jivah pasa-muktah sadasivah but I myself have heard him say it many times.

Where did you get this quote?

Quote:

<table border="0" cellpadding="6" cellspacing="0" width="100%"> <tbody><tr> <td style="border: 1px solid rgb(102, 102, 102); padding-left: 3ex; padding-right: 3ex;" bgcolor="#e0e0e0"> Devotee: Does a jiva attain the position of Siva?

Srila Guru Maharaj: Yes, he can be 'Siva,' when he is out of the clutches of Maya; and the Vaikuntha devotee is more than Siva. When a spiritual molecule is free from the clutches of the exploitation tendency, he is known as 'Siva.'

Pasa-baddho bhavej jivah pasa-muktah sadasivah:

When he is entangled, he is ‘jiva,’ and when he is free, he is 'Siva' (Sivo 'ham). But Krsna said, when giving His blessings to Uddhava (Bha: 11.14.15):

na tatha me priyatama atmayonir na sankarah

na ca sankarsano na srir naivatma ca yatha bhavan

"Neither Brahma nor Siva are as dear to Me as you; My elder brother Sankarsana is not as dear to Me as you, nor even Laksmi Devi. Even My own Self is not as dear to Me as you."

Such is the position of a devotee, a bhakta. He's above Brahma, he's above Siva, he's above Sankarsana, he's above Laksmi - he's above Krsna Himself, by the free, sweet will of Krsna. Aham bhakta-paradhinah. This is running in the current of love, not of justice: through affection.

</td> </tr> </tbody></table>

<!-- END TEMPLATE: bbcode_quote -->

See what Srila Guru Maharaja says about Siva..........biggrin.gif

Kshamabuddhi

Thanks for this.

I had the great fortune of spending a few months with Srila Guru Maharaja during the rainy season one year, when almost nobody else from the west was in Nabadwip. At that time, the season of Pujas came around. When it was Durga Puja, one day Guru Maharaj explained all about the Chhandi (Goddess) scriptures to me, spending about an hour and a half talking with just me and Haricharan (an elderly bengali brahmacari, who is my siska guru).

Guru Maharaj explained all about Siva and quoted this sloka "Pasa-baddho bhavej jivah pasa-muktah sadasivah"

On another day he talked all about Shiva tattva.

THere were so many things he talked about at that time.

I have never seen a published lecture by Guru Maharaj where he quotes this verse Pasa-baddho bhavej jivah pasa-muktah sadasivah but I myself have heard him say it many times.

Where did you get this quote?

How many Muralidhars are there?

I saw your name on some pages of that same web site.

http://www.mandala.com.au/sermons2/6.htm

Guest guest

See what Srila Guru Maharaja says about Siva..........:D

Which Guru Maharaj is that Guruvani? What's his name n where is he from?

Which Guru Maharaj is that Guruvani? What's his name n where is he from?

Srila Bhakti Rakshak Sridhar Dev Goswami Maharaja

Gurumaharaja-07.jpg

panorama_header_0404b.jpg

Sri Chaitanya Saraswat Math

Sri Chaitanya Saraswat Math Road,

Kolerganj, P.O. Nabadwip

District Nadia, Pin 741302,

West Bengal,

India

trnsprnt.gif

Phone: (03472) 240086 & (03472) 240752

Web: http://scsmath.com

edrs001_scsmath.gif

Jaiva Dharma, Chapter 9

Nitya-Dharma, Material Science & Civilization

Advaita: What is purusa, and what is prakrti?

Digambara: Vaishnavas engage only in bhajana; they have no knowledge

of fundamental philosophical truths. Although purusa and

prakrti manifest as two phenomena, they are actually one, like the

two halves of a chick-pea. If you take the outer skin off the chickpea,

there are two halves; but if the outer skin remains, there is

one chick-pea. Purusa is conscious and prakrti is inert. When the

conscious and the inert merge into one undifferentiated substance,

it is known as brahma.

Advaita: Is your mother prakrti, female, or purusa, male?

Digambara: Sometimes she is female, and sometimes male.

Advaita: So, if purusa and prakrti are like the two halves of a chickpea

covered by a skin, which is the mother and which is the father?

Digambara: Are you making philosophical enquiries? Excellent!

We are well acquainted with the truth. The fact is that the mother

is prakrti, matter, and the father is chaitanya, consciousness.

Advaita: And who are you?

Digambara: Pasa-baddho bhavej jivah pasu-muktah sadasivah: "When

one is bound by the ropes of maya, one is a jiva; and when one is

released from those bonds, one is Lord Sadasiva."

Advaita: So are you spirit or matter?

Digambara: I am spirit, and Mother is matter. When I am bound,

she is Mother; when I become liberated, she will be my wife.

Advaita: Oh, splendid! Now the whole truth is exposed without

any doubt. The person who is your mother now will become your

wife later. Where did you get such a philosophy?

Digambara: Brother, I am not like you, simply wandering here and

there saying, "Vaishnava! Vaishnava!" I have acquired this knowledge

by associating with innumerable perfected and liberated sannyasis,

brahmacaris and tantrikas, and by studying the tantra-sastras day

and night. If you wish, I can also make you fit for understanding

this knowledge.

Advaita dasa thought to himself, "What a ghastly misfortune!"