IndiaDivine.org
Sign in to follow this  
suchandra

Bhajan competitions at Iskcon

Rate this topic

<table border="0" cellpadding="4" cellspacing="0" width="100%"><tbody><tr><td class="articleheader">Stars campaign for Idol aspirant

</td></tr> <tr> <td class="articleauthor">A STAFF REPORTER

http://www.telegraphindia.com/1070619/asp/northeast/story_7942138.asp

</td></tr> <tr> <td class="story" align="left">

Guwahati, June 18: “All the best … Padmanav Bordolai” cried a huge poster as a “campaign car” glided past houses and curious onlookers.

Even before bystanders could tear their eyes away from the poster and “pamphlet-boys”, the snaking rally of Assamese cine stars that followed the car left most tongue-tied.

“I am a great fan of Padmanav. I am generously voting for him. I want to appeal all to vote for Padmanav who is a real talent. Please vote for him,” screamed actor Barsha Rani Bishoya from the sidelines of the rally.

Padmanav, by now has become a household name in Guwahati and the rest of Assam, is vying for a wild card entry into the finals of Indian Idol, a musical reality show aired on Sony TV.

A first year student of Cotton College, the 18-year-old has managed to a rouse a kind of regional patriotism, which had ensured the success of another singer from the region, Debojit Saha, about a year ago.

Padmanav was a wild card entrant to the contest and has been able to move up the stages through some inspiring performances which won over the judges.

His voice not only mesmerised the judges at the show, but also impressed the film fraternity at home.

The stars today come out on the streets in his support and appealed to the people of the state and the Northeast to vote for the youngster.

Veteran actors Chetana Das and Pranjal Saikia marched on the streets, pleading for votes for Padmanav.

The rally, which began at Uzan Bazar, Kharguli, snaked through most major thoroughfares of the city.

The All Assam Students Union and Cotton College Union Society have also appealed to the people to vote for Padmanav through SMS and telephone.

His mother Pranita Sarma Bordoloi, a singer and teacher of Kamrup Academy, is elated at her son’s successful streak at the show.

“I am proud of my son’s achievement. I am confident that Padmanav has the potential and talent to win the contest with apt help from one and all. So, I ask all to vote for my son,” said Sarma Bordoloi.

Last Saturday, Padmanav bowled over the audience and the judges with his subtle handling of A.R. Rahman’s highly acclaimed Maa tujhe salam...

Padmanav, along with three other contestants — Ankita, Amit and Suhit — will be battling it out in the final Wild Card round this Saturday.

His last performance had impressed the judges so much, that the singer is almost certain that he will make it to the finals if he gets the required votes from his fans.

His voice has the scent of the earth, judge Udit Narayan had said.

“Padmanav you are too good. I am impressed,” Alisha Chinoi has gushed.

“I am happy with my performance and am sure to make it to the finals. I want all to vote for me,” told Padmanav The Telegraph over phone from Mumbai.

Though he learnt music for a year from Jiten Basumapary, Padnav gave it up when he could not juggle music with studies anymore

A versatile singer, who is equally at ease with both Western and Classical music, Padnav’s tryst with music competitions began with bhajan competitions at Iskcon.

He also won the prize for best singer at a state-level classical music competition for gandharva singing on All India radio (Guwahati).

The Mahatma Gandhi fan, who loves reading spiritual books, now only hopes his devotion pays off.

</td></tr></tbody></table>