IndiaDivine.org
Sign in to follow this  
suchandra

2 Temple Presidents - up to $6,000 a month

Rate this topic

Now this is new, till now it was known that Harikes left with "only" some 5 million dollars, now one of his prominent ex-disciples says (see below), wrong, 10 million. It is not that I dont think that Harikes didnt deserve to take these 10 or whatever millions but it should be clear that the GBC has the exact number and should make it public. Why all this secretiveness?

Considering Some of the Ritviks' Points

BY: PAYONIDHI DASA

Jun 17, MARYLAND, USA (SUN) — Considering Some of the Ritviks' Points on Corruption and Abuse of Laxmi in ISKCON.

There is two instances that it seems ISKCON members
. Of course, the Ritviks have taken it to their advantage, which is why they have a camera man and bodyguards. We have also been told of some instance where His Grace Ravindra Svarupa Prabhu supposedly sent some devotees to beat the Ritviks at a Ratha Yatra in Detroit. The other instance was at the Bhaktivedanta Manor in 2004. The Ritviks took full advantage of these incidents and used them in their favor at the
American Academy of Religion
in 2004.

First, I'd like to suggest that one should never beat another devotee , even if she or he is a Ritvik. They still chant 16 rounds (in most cases) and follow 4 regulative principles. Last Saturday at NY Ratha Yatra we talked with Jayadeva, who is one of the most staunch Ritviks you can imagine, though we will never agree about the misconceptions about Ritvikvada, that Prabhupada is the only initiating Guru for all times to come. And Srila Prabhupada never stated this. In his books, he encourages one again and again to approach a boanfide Guru:
  • Srimad-Bhagavatam 2.3.1:

"In human society all over the world there are millions and billions of men and women, and almost all of them are less intelligent because they have very little knowledge of spirit soul. Almost all of them have a wrong conception of life, for they identify themselves with the gross and subtle material bodies, which they are not, in fact. They may be situated in different high and low positions in the estimation of human society, but one should know definitely that unless one inquires about his own self beyond the body and the mind, all his activities in human life are total failures. Therefore out of thousands and thousands of men, one may inquire about his spirit self and thus consult the revealed scriptures like Vedanta-sutras, Bhagavad-gita, and Srimad-Bhagavatam. But in spite of reading and hearing such scriptures, unless one is in touch with a realized spiritual master, he cannot actually realize the real nature of self, etc."

Yes, luckily there is so much vani from Srila Prabhupada in the form of his books, audio recordings, letters etc. Now how do we find a balance between Srila Prabhupada's instruction to find a bonafide Guru and 'just taking shelter of Srila Prabhupada's vani'? Of course, in traditional Gaudiya Vaisnava society the Guru did not control every aspect of the disciples life, [what to speak of lending money for a house and asking for interest). What worries me (and many devotees) is the collecting of more and more money in the name of being a sannyasi and Guru.

Jayadeva had two complaints: why would Tamal Krsna Goswami have so much personal wealth? He claims his personal wealth was $6 million US or more, and he claims Romapada Swami is good for at least the same amount. Also Romapada Swami is the sannyasi that has lent some money to some disciples to buy a house. Srila Prabhupada writes: "The householders beg from the sannyasis and why not? The sannyasis have tens of millions of rupees in the bank." Similarly, Harikesa left with $10 million or so when he left ISKCON.

I had an interesting talk with HH Bhaktivikas Maharaja last year about some sannyasis having much wealth, and Maharaja said whatever little money he gets from selling his books. His books, by the way, promote and encourage Srila Prabhupada's books. They are excellent reading, in my opinion, especially his Brahmacari handbook, which is full of quotes from Srila Prabhupada on celibacy and its importance. He has his money in an ISKCON account that is related to ISKCON Baroda, so (in his own words) if he bloops tomorrow he will not be able to touch a penny of that money.

I have also discussed about sannyasis having houses with Bhakti Vikas Maharaja, and I mentioned a letter Srila Prabhupada wrote to one sannyasi about not accruing any personal residence for himself. However, many years later Bhakti Vikas Maharaja bought a house in Vrindavan. And I said to Maharaja that grhasthas have houses but where is such things allowed for a sannyasi? Maharaja agreed, but mentioned how this house was not only serving his personal needs but was mainly used by his disciples and devotees that are visiting Vrindavan. I agreed this was true.

Jayadeva Prabhu's concern is genuine, that laxmi that comes in from preaching and donations are being diverted for personal use, and I strongly agree with this. The GBC has asked sannyasis to account fully for their 'personal income or donations, whatever'. Some don't, and refuse to do so. Actually, not only sannyasis but Temple Presidents, especially. We have seen two Temple Presidents in the late 1980's use laxmi for buying themselves expensive personal cars. At least the salary system shows how much money is given to the Temple Presidents.

Around two years ago I was asked if I wanted to travel across the globe and be Temple President there. I was thinking, what security do I have as a Temple President? And I will need financial help from the temple, as my wife also works for the US government and would have to give up her job and I just distribute some books, what would I do there? ( I felt I could not do a good job there and declined the kind offer.)

And I personally don't like to take money from the temple and never have, only collected for many years for Srila Prabhupada's temples, knowing well that every penny we collect belongs to the lotus feet of Radha Krsna. I even once had a dream after a nice day on sankirtana that all laxmi collected was an offering at the lotus feet of Radha-Krsna, it was a very encouraging dream, as it confirmed laxmi collected from the materialistic persons belong to Radha Krsna, so they get benefit of some service to them.

Some devotees have done jewelry business and made a lot of laxmi while they where Temple Presidents, and have later started their own business and have actually used and are using lots of their money for Krsna's service till this day. So I have no problem with that (though they should have pushed book distribution instead). But Srila Prabhupada's instructions are very clear on such activities for temples.

These are hopefully things of the past. Kurma Prabhu of Australia (not the chef) also recently wrote something on this side about leaders being accountable. Here in Washington DC we had 2 Temple Presidents who where getting much laxmi for little or no service -- up to $6,000 a month. All they did was disservice and in the last case, take long trips to India. So for this kind of salary we should at least expect and get a lot more than the normal. But such Temple Presidents also often rule the temples like small" Hiranyakasipus", and that they are sakama bhaktas is not useful.

Recently in Mayapur, HG Badrinaryana Prabhu told me he was sending a new Temple President to the Washington DC area. My immediate response was: "Please don't send any sakama bhaktas full of selfish interests." (Actually he is not, and is a very nice devotee, too.) ISKCON needs to be on the guard for selfishly motivated persons, and if any persons have personal accounts with $100,000 or more it should be given to build ISKCON Mayapur, (without one paisa being misused), or printing cheaper books in certain part of the world. It could even be used for free prasdam and free book distribution, or to give temples many free books to distribute. If they sell them, the laxmi could be used for further ISKCON projects.

The most unfair is that so many honest devotees are collecting to maintain temples and leaders who are abusing the Laxmi. Srila Prabhupada's instruction are clear: not a farthing should be wasted for personal use, it belongs at the lotus feet of Radha Krsna and Gaura Nitai.

BBT trustees' personal accounts should also be open information to all, because we have personally seen huge misuse of Laxmi in the past. If the leadership in ISKCON is forthcoming with such information, then what can the Ritviks accuse ISKCON off? Yes, the Ritviks also are worried about statements about those who are Gurus, and if they have some weakness. HH Bhakti Caru Swami made a point in the past, if a Guru in ISKCON had some problems with the regulative principles he should be given an opportunity to rectify. I think this not wrong according to Vaisnava traditions, but better is to be careful to choose an advanced Guru (please see Nectar of Instruction, verse 5 purport).

Actually in the case of Harikesa, he actually did a lot of nice service for Srila Prabhupada in the matter of book distribution and publishing. His number one mistake was he did not give his disciples credit, though they did all the work, and he never would set a personal example to go out himself. Plus he never attended mongal artik in the many years I was his disciple (weak sadhana) and never chanted his rounds along with the other Vaisnavas. At the end, when he focused so much effort on selling prasadam and other things, he got weak spiritually, and then he got attracted to women again. The rest is history. One of Srila Prabhupada favorite verses in the Bhagavad Gita:
  • Bhagavad Gita 2.44:

bhogaisvarya-prasaktanam

tayapahrta-cetasam

vyavasayatmika buddhih

samadhau na vidhiyate

TRANSLATION

In the minds of those who are too attached to sense enjoyment and material opulence, and who are bewildered by such things, the resolute determination for devotional service to the Supreme Lord does not take place.

I have mentioned the heavy-handedness that sometimes is there in ISKCON in relationship to brahmacaries, but brahmacaries should not be controlled by grhamedhi Temple Presidents that are too attached to money and women and comfort "even though it may be in the name of devotional service".

And sannyasis should be renounced and not aspire for others to serve them constantly, to take service from those attached to sense gratification and material things, or especially for sannyasis to take so much service from women -- not good. And Temple Presidents have to learn to take advice from others too, and not be dictators.

Srila Prabhupada's words to his Godbrothers should always be in our mind:
  • Vaisistya Astaka
    (3)

21. If everyone simply sat down together and considered these things, then what nice preaching there could be!

22. That is your order also, that everyone coming together should merge in your message and preach it to the world.

23. If everyone simply imitates, then there will only be a contradictory result. As long as it goes on, there will only be failure.

24. Even now, my Godbrothers, you return here in the order of our master, and together we engage in his puja.

25. But simply a festival of flowers and fruits does not constitute worship. The one who serves the message of the guru, really worships him.

26. The service of the message is the real meaning of the Vedas. Don't be proud, brothers. Come back to this.

27. Kalidas Nag [a learned man who was defeated in debate by Bhaktisiddhanta Sarasvati and later became his disciple], that master said in public forum one day,

28. That Kali's mission was to kill all the entire world while the essential meaning of Lord Caitanya's message was kept locked up in a cage.

29. Oh, shame! My dear brothers, aren't you embarrassed? In the manner of businessmen you increase your disciples.

30. Our spiritual master said to preach! Let the neophytes remain inside the temples and simply ring the bells.

One of the best ways to worship Srila Prabhupada before his Vyasa Puja is to distribute many books for his pleasure, either sell them or give them free to those who will read them

Srila Prabhupada further states:
  • (4) 31. All these things are not our spiritual master's preaching methods. These are all the things done by the caste gosvamis.

32. But just take a good look at the terrible situation that has arisen. Everyone has become a sense enjoyer and has given up preaching.

33. In the temples also they have begun to lock the doors. Preach this bhagavata-dharma; don't hesitate.

34. Within this world there is another world, whose sound is the unequaled penetrating force.

35. The preaching that "the molla only goes as far as the mosque and no further" should be put to an end today.

36. From the seas, across the earth, penetrate the universal shell; come together and preach this Krsna consciousness.

37. Then our master's service will be in proper order. Make your promise today. All of you get together and decide what should be done.

39. You have become renouncers, brothers, so renounce everything. But if you also renounce the order of your spiritual master, then what kind of renunciation is that?

40. The one who renounces his guru's order (guru-tyagi) and the one who tries to enjoy the assets of his spiritual master (guru-bhogi) are two kinds of useless persons. First become a servant of your spiritual master (guru-sevi), and then you will understand all these things clearly.
    (5) 41. If there is only one Supreme Lord, then a true sadhu, even if his wealth increases, gives up his desire for profit, adoration and prestige in this material world.

42. Your gold, brother, is the father of sense gratification. This meaningful statement was spoken by Prabhupada himself.

43. Give up your wealth for preaching. Sit down together and make a special effort to come to a decision.

44. The Supreme Lord says that everything is His. Don't protest. Just unite and preach.

45. Srila Prabhupada gave this final message himself. Jake great care to do that completely and in all respects.

46. Otherwise your sannyasa will be wasted and useless. O saintly ones, be careful; otherwise afterward you will regret.

47. So what is the difficulty for all of us to come together in this way? And why do all these things even have to be said to you?

48. Give up your stubbornness; there is no time! Come, all my brothers, on this auspicious holy occasion.

(6) 49. When will that day come when there will be a temple established in every house in every corner of the world?

50. When the high court judge will be a Gaudiya Vaisnava with tilaka beautifully decorating his forehead.

51. When a Vaisnava winning votes will be elected president of the land, and preaching will be spread everywhere.

52. The demons simply plunder the Lord's wealth. The helpless populace cries "hey, hey" in distress.

53. The demons want so many plans just to cheat the people. They sell sheat flour at thirty-two rupees a mound.

54. Will opening a factory fill a hungry man's belly? Being oppressed by starvation, they will eat grass and mango pits.

55. Wearing a two paisa string, a man is called a brahmana. Wearing a saffron cloth, he has become a sannyasi.

56. The householders beg from the sannyasis and why not? The sannyasis have tens of millions of rupees in the bank.

57. As the days pass, the influence of Kali-yuga increases and the poor jivas are all crying in distress.

58. Ten thousand cows are killed daily, and the nation's expert leaders are all eating untouchable foodstuffs.

59. People of muddy intelligence increase day by day. A man and his wife separate simply on a mere word.

60. Everyone has become a witch by the influence of the age. Everyone is unhappy due to the absence of the mercy of the Vaisnavas.

A final note is that Srila Prabhupada warns us not to become pseudo-devotees:
  • Srimad-Bhagavatam 2.2.37:
    pibanti ye bhagavata atmanah satam

kathamrtam sravana-putesu sambhrtam

punanti te visaya-vidusitasayam

vrajanti tac-carana-saroruhantikam

TRANSLATION

Those who drink through aural reception, fully filled with the nectarean message of Lord Krsna, the beloved of the devotees, purify the polluted aim of life known as material enjoyment and thus go back to Godhead, to the lotus feet of Him [the Personality of Godhead].

PURPORT

The sufferings of human society are due to a polluted aim of life, namely lording it over the material resources. The more human society engages in the exploitation of undeveloped material resources for sense gratification, the more it will be entrapped by the illusory, material energy of the Lord, and thus the distress of the world will be intensified instead of diminished. The human necessities of life are fully supplied by the Lord in the shape of food grains, milk, fruit, wood, stone, sugar, silk, jewels, cotton, salt, water, vegetables, etc., in sufficient quantity to feed and care for the human race of the world as well as the living beings on each and every planet within the universe. The supply source is complete, and only a little energy by the human being is required to get his necessities into the proper channel. There is no need of machines and tools or huge steel plants for artificially creating comforts of life. Life is never made comfortable by artificial needs, but by plain living and high thinking. The highest perfectional thinking for human society is suggested here by Sukadeva Gosvami, namely, sufficiently hearing Srimad-Bhagavatam. For men in this age of Kali, when they have lost the perfect vision of life, this Srimad-Bhagavatam is the torchlight by which to see the real path. Srila Jiva Gosvami Prabhupada has commented on the kathamrtam mentioned in this verse and has indicated Srimad-Bhagavatam to be the nectarean message of the Personality of Godhead. By sufficient hearing of Srimad-Bhagavatam, the polluted aim of life, namely lording it over matter, will subside, and the people in general in all parts of the world will be able to live a peaceful life of knowledge and bliss.

For a pure devotee of the Lord, any topics in relation with His name, fame, quality, entourage, etc., are all pleasing, and because such topics have been approved by great devotees like Narada, Hanuman, Nanda Maharaja and other inhabitants of Vrndavana, certainly such messages are transcendental and pleasing to the heart and soul.

And by the constant hearing of the messages of the Bhagavad-gita, and later of Srimad-Bhagavatam, one is assured herein by Srila Sukadeva Gosvami that he will reach the Personality of Godhead and render Him transcendental loving service in the spiritual planet of the name Goloka Vrndavana, which resembles a huge lotus flower.

Thus by the process of bhakti-yoga, directly accepted, as suggested in this verse, by sufficient hearing of the transcendental message of the Lord, the material contamination is directly eliminated without one's attempting to contemplate the impersonal virat conception of the Lord. And by practicing bhakti-yoga, if the performer is not purified from the material contamination, he must be a pseudodevotee. For such an imposter there is no remedy for being freed from material entanglement.

Guest guest

Good points but anyone who tries to satisfy the ritviks criticisms is just wasting his time.

Ritviks are, in essence, fault-finders. If you change something to counter their criticisms, they will pick up on something else. You can't satisfy fault-finders no matter what you do. Like the story about the old man, young boy and donkey that Srila Prabhupada narrated.

As regards the ritvik claims that they were beat up ... this is precisely why I lost all respect for ritviks. Why resort to dishonesty to push your agenda? These guys barge into Ratha Yatra like snakes stealing other animals burrows, intimidate Vaisnavas and then claim to be harassed. Not only non-gentlemanly but certainly not Vaisnava behaviour. The ritviks are walking a dangerous line and I will do all I can to avoid their association.

Now this is new, till now it was known that Harikes left with "only" some 5 million dollars, now one of his prominent ex-disciples says (see below), wrong, 10 million. It is not that I dont think that Harikes didnt deserve to take these 10 or whatever millions but it should be clear that the GBC has the exact number and should make it public. Why all this secretiveness?

Considering Some of the Ritviks' Points

BY: PAYONIDHI DASA

Jun 17, MARYLAND, USA (SUN) — Considering Some of the Ritviks' Points on Corruption and Abuse of Laxmi in ISKCON.

There is two instances that it seems ISKCON members [Of course, the Ritviks have taken it to their advantage, which is why they have a camera man and bodyguards. We have also been told of some instance where His Grace Ravindra Svarupa Prabhu supposedly sent some devotees to beat the Ritviks at a Ratha Yatra in Detroit. The other instance was at the Bhaktivedanta Manor in 2004. The Ritviks took full advantage of these incidents and used them in their favor at the
American Academy of Religion
in 2004.

First, I'd like to suggest that one should never beat another devotee , even if she or he is a Ritvik. They still chant 16 rounds (in most cases) and follow 4 regulative principles. Last Saturday at NY Ratha Yatra we talked with Jayadeva, who is one of the most staunch Ritviks you can imagine, though we will never agree about the misconceptions about Ritvikvada, that Prabhupada is the only initiating Guru for all times to come. And Srila Prabhupada never stated this. In his books, he encourages one again and again to approach a boanfide Guru:
  • Srimad-Bhagavatam 2.3.1:

"In human society all over the world there are millions and billions of men and women, and almost all of them are less intelligent because they have very little knowledge of spirit soul. Almost all of them have a wrong conception of life, for they identify themselves with the gross and subtle material bodies, which they are not, in fact. They may be situated in different high and low positions in the estimation of human society, but one should know definitely that unless one inquires about his own self beyond the body and the mind, all his activities in human life are total failures. Therefore out of thousands and thousands of men, one may inquire about his spirit self and thus consult the revealed scriptures like Vedanta-sutras, Bhagavad-gita, and Srimad-Bhagavatam. But in spite of reading and hearing such scriptures, unless one is in touch with a realized spiritual master, he cannot actually realize the real nature of self, etc."

Yes, luckily there is so much vani from Srila Prabhupada in the form of his books, audio recordings, letters etc. Now how do we find a balance between Srila Prabhupada's instruction to find a bonafide Guru and 'just taking shelter of Srila Prabhupada's vani'? Of course, in traditional Gaudiya Vaisnava society the Guru did not control every aspect of the disciples life, [what to speak of lending money for a house and asking for interest). What worries me (and many devotees) is the collecting of more and more money in the name of being a sannyasi and Guru.

Jayadeva had two complaints: why would Tamal Krsna Goswami have so much personal wealth? He claims his personal wealth was $6 million US or more, and he claims Romapada Swami is good for at least the same amount. Also Romapada Swami is the sannyasi that has lent some money to some disciples to buy a house. Srila Prabhupada writes: "The householders beg from the sannyasis and why not? The sannyasis have tens of millions of rupees in the bank." Similarly, Harikesa left with $10 million or so when he left ISKCON.

I had an interesting talk with HH Bhaktivikas Maharaja last year about some sannyasis having much wealth, and Maharaja said whatever little money he gets from selling his books. His books, by the way, promote and encourage Srila Prabhupada's books. They are excellent reading, in my opinion, especially his Brahmacari handbook, which is full of quotes from Srila Prabhupada on celibacy and its importance. He has his money in an ISKCON account that is related to ISKCON Baroda, so (in his own words) if he bloops tomorrow he will not be able to touch a penny of that money.

I have also discussed about sannyasis having houses with Bhakti Vikas Maharaja, and I mentioned a letter Srila Prabhupada wrote to one sannyasi about not accruing any personal residence for himself. However, many years later Bhakti Vikas Maharaja bought a house in Vrindavan. And I said to Maharaja that grhasthas have houses but where is such things allowed for a sannyasi? Maharaja agreed, but mentioned how this house was not only serving his personal needs but was mainly used by his disciples and devotees that are visiting Vrindavan. I agreed this was true.

Jayadeva Prabhu's concern is genuine, that laxmi that comes in from preaching and donations are being diverted for personal use, and I strongly agree with this. The GBC has asked sannyasis to account fully for their 'personal income or donations, whatever'. Some don't, and refuse to do so. Actually, not only sannyasis but Temple Presidents, especially. We have seen two Temple Presidents in the late 1980's use laxmi for buying themselves expensive personal cars. At least the salary system shows how much money is given to the Temple Presidents.

Around two years ago I was asked if I wanted to travel across the globe and be Temple President there. I was thinking, what security do I have as a Temple President? And I will need financial help from the temple, as my wife also works for the US government and would have to give up her job and I just distribute some books, what would I do there? ( I felt I could not do a good job there and declined the kind offer.)

And I personally don't like to take money from the temple and never have, only collected for many years for Srila Prabhupada's temples, knowing well that every penny we collect belongs to the lotus feet of Radha Krsna. I even once had a dream after a nice day on sankirtana that all laxmi collected was an offering at the lotus feet of Radha-Krsna, it was a very encouraging dream, as it confirmed laxmi collected from the materialistic persons belong to Radha Krsna, so they get benefit of some service to them.

Some devotees have done jewelry business and made a lot of laxmi while they where Temple Presidents, and have later started their own business and have actually used and are using lots of their money for Krsna's service till this day. So I have no problem with that (though they should have pushed book distribution instead). But Srila Prabhupada's instructions are very clear on such activities for temples.

These are hopefully things of the past. Kurma Prabhu of Australia (not the chef) also recently wrote something on this side about leaders being accountable. Here in Washington DC we had 2 Temple Presidents who where getting much laxmi for little or no service -- up to $6,000 a month. All they did was disservice and in the last case, take long trips to India. So for this kind of salary we should at least expect and get a lot more than the normal. But such Temple Presidents also often rule the temples like small" Hiranyakasipus", and that they are sakama bhaktas is not useful.

Recently in Mayapur, HG Badrinaryana Prabhu told me he was sending a new Temple President to the Washington DC area. My immediate response was: "Please don't send any sakama bhaktas full of selfish interests." (Actually he is not, and is a very nice devotee, too.) ISKCON needs to be on the guard for selfishly motivated persons, and if any persons have personal accounts with $100,000 or more it should be given to build ISKCON Mayapur, (without one paisa being misused), or printing cheaper books in certain part of the world. It could even be used for free prasdam and free book distribution, or to give temples many free books to distribute. If they sell them, the laxmi could be used for further ISKCON projects.

The most unfair is that so many honest devotees are collecting to maintain temples and leaders who are abusing the Laxmi. Srila Prabhupada's instruction are clear: not a farthing should be wasted for personal use, it belongs at the lotus feet of Radha Krsna and Gaura Nitai.

BBT trustees' personal accounts should also be open information to all, because we have personally seen huge misuse of Laxmi in the past. If the leadership in ISKCON is forthcoming with such information, then what can the Ritviks accuse ISKCON off? Yes, the Ritviks also are worried about statements about those who are Gurus, and if they have some weakness. HH Bhakti Caru Swami made a point in the past, if a Guru in ISKCON had some problems with the regulative principles he should be given an opportunity to rectify. I think this not wrong according to Vaisnava traditions, but better is to be careful to choose an advanced Guru (please see Nectar of Instruction, verse 5 purport).

Actually in the case of Harikesa, he actually did a lot of nice service for Srila Prabhupada in the matter of book distribution and publishing. His number one mistake was he did not give his disciples credit, though they did all the work, and he never would set a personal example to go out himself. Plus he never attended mongal artik in the many years I was his disciple (weak sadhana) and never chanted his rounds along with the other Vaisnavas. At the end, when he focused so much effort on selling prasadam and other things, he got weak spiritually, and then he got attracted to women again. The rest is history. One of Srila Prabhupada favorite verses in the Bhagavad Gita:
  • Bhagavad Gita 2.44:

bhogaisvarya-prasaktanam

tayapahrta-cetasam

vyavasayatmika buddhih

samadhau na vidhiyate

TRANSLATION

In the minds of those who are too attached to sense enjoyment and material opulence, and who are bewildered by such things, the resolute determination for devotional service to the Supreme Lord does not take place.

I have mentioned the heavy-handedness that sometimes is there in ISKCON in relationship to brahmacaries, but brahmacaries should not be controlled by grhamedhi Temple Presidents that are too attached to money and women and comfort "even though it may be in the name of devotional service".

And sannyasis should be renounced and not aspire for others to serve them constantly, to take service from those attached to sense gratification and material things, or especially for sannyasis to take so much service from women -- not good. And Temple Presidents have to learn to take advice from others too, and not be dictators.

Srila Prabhupada's words to his Godbrothers should always be in our mind:
  • Vaisistya Astaka
    (3)

21. If everyone simply sat down together and considered these things, then what nice preaching there could be!

22. That is your order also, that everyone coming together should merge in your message and preach it to the world.

23. If everyone simply imitates, then there will only be a contradictory result. As long as it goes on, there will only be failure.

24. Even now, my Godbrothers, you return here in the order of our master, and together we engage in his puja.

25. But simply a festival of flowers and fruits does not constitute worship. The one who serves the message of the guru, really worships him.

26. The service of the message is the real meaning of the Vedas. Don't be proud, brothers. Come back to this.

27. Kalidas Nag [a learned man who was defeated in debate by Bhaktisiddhanta Sarasvati and later became his disciple], that master said in public forum one day,

28. That Kali's mission was to kill all the entire world while the essential meaning of Lord Caitanya's message was kept locked up in a cage.

29. Oh, shame! My dear brothers, aren't you embarrassed? In the manner of businessmen you increase your disciples.

30. Our spiritual master said to preach! Let the neophytes remain inside the temples and simply ring the bells.

One of the best ways to worship Srila Prabhupada before his Vyasa Puja is to distribute many books for his pleasure, either sell them or give them free to those who will read them

Srila Prabhupada further states:
  • (4) 31. All these things are not our spiritual master's preaching methods. These are all the things done by the caste gosvamis.

32. But just take a good look at the terrible situation that has arisen. Everyone has become a sense enjoyer and has given up preaching.

33. In the temples also they have begun to lock the doors. Preach this bhagavata-dharma; don't hesitate.

34. Within this world there is another world, whose sound is the unequaled penetrating force.

35. The preaching that "the molla only goes as far as the mosque and no further" should be put to an end today.

36. From the seas, across the earth, penetrate the universal shell; come together and preach this Krsna consciousness.

37. Then our master's service will be in proper order. Make your promise today. All of you get together and decide what should be done.

39. You have become renouncers, brothers, so renounce everything. But if you also renounce the order of your spiritual master, then what kind of renunciation is that?

40. The one who renounces his guru's order (guru-tyagi) and the one who tries to enjoy the assets of his spiritual master (guru-bhogi) are two kinds of useless persons. First become a servant of your spiritual master (guru-sevi), and then you will understand all these things clearly.
    (5) 41. If there is only one Supreme Lord, then a true sadhu, even if his wealth increases, gives up his desire for profit, adoration and prestige in this material world.

42. Your gold, brother, is the father of sense gratification. This meaningful statement was spoken by Prabhupada himself.

43. Give up your wealth for preaching. Sit down together and make a special effort to come to a decision.

44. The Supreme Lord says that everything is His. Don't protest. Just unite and preach.

45. Srila Prabhupada gave this final message himself. Jake great care to do that completely and in all respects.

46. Otherwise your sannyasa will be wasted and useless. O saintly ones, be careful; otherwise afterward you will regret.

47. So what is the difficulty for all of us to come together in this way? And why do all these things even have to be said to you?

48. Give up your stubbornness; there is no time! Come, all my brothers, on this auspicious holy occasion.

(6) 49. When will that day come when there will be a temple established in every house in every corner of the world?

50. When the high court judge will be a Gaudiya Vaisnava with tilaka beautifully decorating his forehead.

51. When a Vaisnava winning votes will be elected president of the land, and preaching will be spread everywhere.

52. The demons simply plunder the Lord's wealth. The helpless populace cries "hey, hey" in distress.

53. The demons want so many plans just to cheat the people. They sell sheat flour at thirty-two rupees a mound.

54. Will opening a factory fill a hungry man's belly? Being oppressed by starvation, they will eat grass and mango pits.

55. Wearing a two paisa string, a man is called a brahmana. Wearing a saffron cloth, he has become a sannyasi.

56. The householders beg from the sannyasis and why not? The sannyasis have tens of millions of rupees in the bank.

57. As the days pass, the influence of Kali-yuga increases and the poor jivas are all crying in distress.

58. Ten thousand cows are killed daily, and the nation's expert leaders are all eating untouchable foodstuffs.

59. People of muddy intelligence increase day by day. A man and his wife separate simply on a mere word.

60. Everyone has become a witch by the influence of the age. Everyone is unhappy due to the absence of the mercy of the Vaisnavas.

A final note is that Srila Prabhupada warns us not to become pseudo-devotees:
  • Srimad-Bhagavatam 2.2.37:
    pibanti ye bhagavata atmanah satam

kathamrtam sravana-putesu sambhrtam

punanti te visaya-vidusitasayam

vrajanti tac-carana-saroruhantikam

TRANSLATION

Those who drink through aural reception, fully filled with the nectarean message of Lord Krsna, the beloved of the devotees, purify the polluted aim of life known as material enjoyment and thus go back to Godhead, to the lotus feet of Him [the Personality of Godhead].

PURPORT

The sufferings of human society are due to a polluted aim of life, namely lording it over the material resources. The more human society engages in the exploitation of undeveloped material resources for sense gratification, the more it will be entrapped by the illusory, material energy of the Lord, and thus the distress of the world will be intensified instead of diminished. The human necessities of life are fully supplied by the Lord in the shape of food grains, milk, fruit, wood, stone, sugar, silk, jewels, cotton, salt, water, vegetables, etc., in sufficient quantity to feed and care for the human race of the world as well as the living beings on each and every planet within the universe. The supply source is complete, and only a little energy by the human being is required to get his necessities into the proper channel. There is no need of machines and tools or huge steel plants for artificially creating comforts of life. Life is never made comfortable by artificial needs, but by plain living and high thinking. The highest perfectional thinking for human society is suggested here by Sukadeva Gosvami, namely, sufficiently hearing Srimad-Bhagavatam. For men in this age of Kali, when they have lost the perfect vision of life, this Srimad-Bhagavatam is the torchlight by which to see the real path. Srila Jiva Gosvami Prabhupada has commented on the kathamrtam mentioned in this verse and has indicated Srimad-Bhagavatam to be the nectarean message of the Personality of Godhead. By sufficient hearing of Srimad-Bhagavatam, the polluted aim of life, namely lording it over matter, will subside, and the people in general in all parts of the world will be able to live a peaceful life of knowledge and bliss.

For a pure devotee of the Lord, any topics in relation with His name, fame, quality, entourage, etc., are all pleasing, and because such topics have been approved by great devotees like Narada, Hanuman, Nanda Maharaja and other inhabitants of Vrndavana, certainly such messages are transcendental and pleasing to the heart and soul.

And by the constant hearing of the messages of the Bhagavad-gita, and later of Srimad-Bhagavatam, one is assured herein by Srila Sukadeva Gosvami that he will reach the Personality of Godhead and render Him transcendental loving service in the spiritual planet of the name Goloka Vrndavana, which resembles a huge lotus flower.

Thus by the process of bhakti-yoga, directly accepted, as suggested in this verse, by sufficient hearing of the transcendental message of the Lord, the material contamination is directly eliminated without one's attempting to contemplate the impersonal virat conception of the Lord. And by practicing bhakti-yoga, if the performer is not purified from the material contamination, he must be a pseudodevotee. For such an imposter there is no remedy for being freed from material entanglement.

Good points but anyone who tries to satisfy the ritviks criticisms is just wasting his time.

Ritviks are, in essence, fault-finders. If you change something to counter their criticisms, they will pick up on something else. You can't satisfy fault-finders no matter what you do. Like the story about the old man, young boy and donkey that Srila Prabhupada narrated.

As regards the ritvik claims that they were beat up ... this is precisely why I lost all respect for ritviks. Why resort to dishonesty to push your agenda? These guys barge into Ratha Yatra like snakes stealing other animals burrows, intimidate Vaisnavas and then claim to be harassed. Not only non-gentlemanly but certainly not Vaisnava behaviour. The ritviks are walking a dangerous line and I will do all I can to avoid their association.

Thanks visitor, if one has this kind of realization one anyway doesnt live in this world anymore so way care in the first place?

Guest guest

That is correct Suchandra prabhu. I agree with you.

I wish I was also self-realized :). But well, one has to earn it, not just wish for it :)

Thanks visitor, if one has this kind of realization one anyway doesnt live in this world anymore so way care in the first place?