IndiaDivine.org
Sign in to follow this  
suchandra

Pratyatoṣa Dāsa: Spinach Recipe

Rate this topic

Mix spinach with rice and frozen French fries by using a microwave - someone knows if this is vedic?

<CENTER> “The relish not only makes the preparation more tasty, but the hot spices are an aid to digestion.”

10 Minute Recipe: Spinach

By Pratyatoṣa Dāsa (ACBSP), March 30, 2007

(pratyatosa.com, pratyatosa@gmail.com)

Here‘s a fast, easy way to prepare 1-2 servings of spinach prasādam (Kṛṣṇa’s mercy):

1. Melt ¼ cup of ghee “impurities” or ¼ cup (½ stick) of butter¹.

(Do steps 2 through 6 while the butter is melting)

2. Add ½ teaspoon of salt to a 1 quart microwavable bowl.

3. Add a can of spinach² (including the liquid).

4. Add 2/3 cup of instant rice.

5. Add a handful of frozen French fries. (optional)

6. If the frozen French fries were added, add ¼ cup of water.

7. Pore the melted (or partly melted) ghee impurities or butter over the other ingredients.

8. Mix Thoroughly.

9. Add (mix later) 1 heaping teaspoon of Patak‘s Hot Mango Relish. (Available at health food stores and East Indian grocery stores.)³

10. Microwave on high for 4 minutes.

11. Mix in a handful of cashews. (optional)

12. Mix or allow to stand for 5 minutes or until the rice soaks up most of the excess liquid.

13. Offer to Krishna, and serve while still warm.

¹ I microwave the butter in a wide mouth (5 ½") “coffee cup”. The purpose of using a wide mouthed cup is that it eliminates the possibility of the butter “boiling over”. I keep the cup in the freezer along with the butter just for this purpose. I microwave it for 2 minutes at power level 6 (out of 10). Also, there’s no need to wash the cup every time you use it. Simply put it back in the freezer.

² A can of practically any other kind of vegetable could be substituted. Just make sure that it doesn’t have any meat, vinegar, onions or garlic in it. One interesting substitute is collard greens, which may be purchased at any Super Wal-Mart.

³ The relish not only makes the preparation more tasty, but the hot spices are an aid to digestion. The relish also improves the appearance of the preparation, which is an additional aid to digestion.

<HR width="50%">THIS WEB PAGE URL: http://pratyatosa.com/Spinach.htm

</CENTER>

Yum....:crazy: (I think I might stick to Kurma's cookbooks:)).

The relish not only makes the preparation more tasty, but the hot spices are an aid to digestion. The relish also improves the appearance of the preparation, which is an additional aid to digestion. quote by Pratyatosa dasa.
That is so dry and funny...I am sure an aid to digestion for this recipe would be very beneficial!:rolleyes:

Tell me Suchandra...what supermarket can I buy 'impurities' from?

ps. And the chef's tip of not having to wash the coffee cup each time is a real timesaver (I will make a note of that).

Yum....:crazy: (I think I might stick to Kurma's cookbooks:)).

That is so dry and funny...I am sure an aid to digestion for this recipe would be very beneficial!:rolleyes:

Tell me Suchandra...what supermarket can I buy 'impurities' from?

ps. And the chef's tip of not having to wash the coffee cup each time is a real timesaver (I will make a note of that).

One interesting substitute is collard greens, which may be purchased at any Super Wal-Mart.

When reading again through Pratyatosa'a Spinach recipe it becomes obvious that this is not an offerable preparation. But why is he posting it as "Here‘s a fast, easy way to prepare 1-2 servings of spinach prasādam (Kṛṣṇa’s mercy)?"

..One interesting substitute is collard greens, which may be purchased at any Super Wal-Mart.

He has to be making a dry joke doesn't he?

Or otherwise it is some kind of bachelor recipe, aimed at someone who hasn't learnt to make nice simple preparations. I didn't know there was such a thing as canned spinach.

I don't know...it is really funny all the same.

(by the way I was not serious about the coffee-cup or 'impurities'. But was not kidding about the Patak's relish - you would need to add something like that to make this mucky dish more palatable):rolleyes: