IndiaDivine.org
Sign in to follow this  
suchandra

Some photos from B’lore

Rate this topic

This will probably remain a secret forever, is Bangalore ritvik or ISKCON?

Some photos from B’lore

Here is something after one week here.

http://www.nizzoli.net/index.php/2007/02/14/some-photos-from-blore

ISKON temple is the latest, biggest achievement of the International Society for Krishna Consciousness. From the site:

Better known as the Hare Krishna movement, ISKCON is comprised of more than 350 centres, 60 rural communities, 50 schools and 60 restaurants worldwide.

Impressive, isn’t it! The next time you see some hippie in a park singing the mantra, think again! Here is the mantra:

Hare Krishna Hare Krishna

Krishna Krishna Hare Hare

Hare Rama Hare Rama

Rama Rama Hare Hare

2007_02_10-bangalore-002.thumbnail.jpg 2007_02_10-bangalore-001.thumbnail.jpg

Then the palace where the Karnataka parliament is.

The palace is huge. Also, just to make things clear of who is ruling and what is expected from the population, at the entrance is engraved: “Government Work is God’s Work“. You have been warned!

2007_02_10-bangalore-008.thumbnail.jpg 2007_02_10-bangalore-005.thumbnail.jpg

Another thing. Sujit daughter, Sejal, turned one. She is cute! In the following photos: the invite, a photo of Sejal with his grandparent, and a photo of Ramu with Winnie the Pooh.

sejal_b-invite.thumbnail.jpg 2007_02_11-sujitkidbday-003.thumbnail.jpg 2007_02_11-sujitkidbday-001.thumbnail.jpg

Guest guest

ISKCON Bangalore has received bomb threats

Bangalore Notes - Feb 14th, 2007 – Meeting A & Travel to Chennai

Met A for breakfast this morning. It may be recalled that A is the girl who was introduced to my parents by our neighbors as a possible match for me. We met at the Malleshwaram 18th Cross bus stand. A had brought me a Cadbury’s Dairy Milk chocolate – I had told her that’s my favorite chocolate. I had taken her some chocolates I had brought from the US. A wanted to visit the Sai Baba temple near 15th Cross and Sampige Road. In all those years I spent roaming around Malleshwaram, I had never visited this temple. After that, we had breakfast at Janata Hotel on 8th Cross. The hotel is well-known masala dosa, which we had. I don’t know why it is considered to be so special. It was as good as a well-made dosa anywhere in the world – in Bangalore, Singapore, San Francisco or Phoenix.

I had thought we would be able to linger over breakfast and talk, but the ambience of Janata Hotel was suitable not for sitting and talking. It was strictly an eat-quick-and-leave kinda place. So, we started walking towards another temple adjacent to 8th Cross, between Margosa and Sampige roads. I thought it was a Krishna temple and we might find some quiet spot outside the temple to sit and talk. The temple turned out to be a Raghavendraswami temple, and while we sat there, A said she wanted to go to the ISKCON temple. So, we ended up visiting the third temple in one morning!

I had not visited ISKCON in a long time, and I was quite shocked by the security checks before entering the temple. There were guards at the front gate, with guns and a dog, checking the insides and the trunks of all the cars which came in. They did not allow backpacks or cameras into the temple – these had to be left outside against a receipt, near the place where we left our shoes. After that, we had to pass through a metal detector and were then frisked by another guard. Once inside, the visitors are almost always on a path that’s well-defined by ropes, which guides them through the temples, the movie theatre the shopping areas and food vendors, right back to the place where we left our shoes.

I can understand all those checks because ISKCON Bangalore has received bomb threats in the past. Nevertheless, I did not feel good about all the restrictions and herding. That’s enough to discourage me from visiting the place too often.

A and I were able to talk for sometime at ISKCON, outside the temple. The conversation was all general, about impersonal stuff – I don’t even remember all the things we talked about. Then, I dropped her off at the Yeshwanthpur bus stand and returned home. I could not take her any closer to her house because it was getting late for me – I had to return home, finish my packing, have lunch and catch the train to Chennai in a couple of hours. I am going to Chennai for the interview at the US Consulate for my visa stamping.

I left A with the impression that she is a nice, pleasant, comfortable person to be with. But I did not feel anything particularly romantic. Given the state of my life and emotions right now, I don’t know when I’ll ever be able to feel romantic again. Perhaps, never. Perhaps it was a mistake to interact with A, meet her, and waste her time and energy. I should have stuck to my guns and not let my family push me to interact with anybody. I always regret it when I go against my convictions for the sake of other people. So, what’s new? Ugh!

It always sucks when one’s convictions are in conflict with the expectations of others – especially family, friends and those we love. Going against our convictions makes us feel weak and spineless. Going against others’ expectations makes us seem rude and inconsiderate. I hate having to deal with this nonsense, and I hate the social setup which puts people into these kinds of situations.

Travelled to Chennai by the Brindavan Express train in the afternoon. The train left Bangalore at 1430 hrs and arrived in Chennai at around 2015 hrs or so. It was a mostly uneventful journey. I talked to a lady on the train, who has recently become involved, along with her husband, in one of the countless network marketing schemes. She gave me her card and invited me to meet her husband and see a presentation about her business during my stay in Chennai. I told her that I’d call her if I could spare time, but most probably I would have no time during my short stay there. In fact, my stay in Chennai is so short, I will not even have time to visit my aunt’s (mom’s older sister) home. To her credit, the lady did not try to force me too much. If she had, I would have clearly told her that I am not interested in joining any kind of network marketing scheme. Over the past 6 years, I have met many people, including some close friends, who have tried to get me to join such schemes. I have even seen friends try their hand at it and fail. I don’t think that business is for me.

I am staying at the Days Inn Hotel Deccan Plaza in Rayapettai area of Chennai. It is a comfortable place, with good service, and more importantly, it is quite close to the US Consulate.

Guest guest

Is there a reason you say that prabhu? Because I thought it was a well known fact that the Bangalore temple is ritvik.

This will probably remain a secret forever, is Bangalore ritvik or ISKCON?

ISKON temple is the latest, biggest achievement of the International Society for Krishna Consciousness. From the site:

Better known as the Hare Krishna movement, ISKCON is comprised of more than 350 centres, 60 rural communities, 50 schools and 60 restaurants worldwide.

Guest guest

Is there a reason you say that prabhu? Because I thought it was a well known fact that the Bangalore temple is ritvik.

ISKCON Bangalore carefully avoids to mention anything about this. Nothing written - nothing on their website.

Guest guest

Thanks for the clarification. I'm not sure why they're trying to hide the fact that they're not ISKCON when pretty much anyone associated with ISKCON knows it.

Remember though, that while the Bangalore temple is ritvik, they don;t have any ties to IRM anymore. I believe Madhu Pandit das gave the boot to the IRM leader. So the Bangalore temple is pretty much on it's own.

ISKCON Bangalore carefully avoids to mention anything about this. Nothing written - nothing on their website.

Guest guest

Thanks for the clarification. I'm not sure why they're trying to hide the fact that they're not ISKCON when pretty much anyone associated with ISKCON knows it.

Remember though, that while the Bangalore temple is ritvik, they don;t have any ties to IRM anymore. I believe Madhu Pandit das gave the boot to the IRM leader. So the Bangalore temple is pretty much on it's own.

But that's what is stated above - unless we have an official statement by Madhu Pandit everything remains speculative. On the other hand ISKCON Bangalore/Madhu Pandit doesnt consider it of any importance whatsoever to tell publically if they consider Srila Prabhupada as current link to our disciplic succession or if they teach what ISKCON Mayapur teaches, that Prabhupada is dead? Why this hide-and-seek?

Guest guest

OK, then that is an area where clarification is necessary. By the way, you last sentence (in BOLD RED) makes no sense. Can you clarify what you meant?

But that's what is stated above - unless we have an official statement by Madhu Pandit everything remains speculative. On the other hand ISKCON Bangalore/Madhu Pandit doesnt consider it of any importance whatsoever to tell publically if they consider Srila Prabhupada as current link to our disciplic succession or <font face="Monotype Corsiva" size=6 color="red"><B><I>if they teach what ISKCON Mayapur teaches, that Prabhupada is dead? Why this hide-and-seek?</B></I></font>