IndiaDivine.org
Sign in to follow this  
inquirer_for_truth

Not sure

Rate this topic

Not sure exactly where to put this... but here it is. :P

Hello! I'm really new here. I'm a highschool senior and I need some help with an assignment for one of my classes. We are required to chat with someone who holds a different view of life or practices a different religion from ourselves. I am a believer in Jesus Christ, and I thought it would be very interesting to interview a follower of the Hindu way of life. I was wondering if perhaps someone from this forum would be willing to talk with me? All it is is a list of questions that I will ask (and can answer too, if the interviewee likes) that talks about what the interviewee, as a Hindu, thinks about God(s), their religion, the natural state of man, etc, etc. Rest assured, it will not be some heated debate where I will blame the interviewee or tell them that they are wrong or anything. All it will be is a discussion about the differences in our faiths and learning about the different beliefs and how each of us feels about our religions. This is all for an assignment for my history class, and I would be presenting some parts of our chat to the class as a short presentation. :)

I would be very encouraged if someone from this forum would help me out... I've already asked people on other forums to chat with me, but they haven't responded at all to my posts... :( I hope someone replies!!

Like I said, I am only doing this so that I can learn some things about the Hindu religion on a deeper level than the textbooks or other resources say. I'd like to know what a Hindu personally feels about their religion and understand it! It should be very interesting, and I honestly promise that is will not be a debate or hateful speech type thing.

Thank you!

inquirer-for-truth, aka, Hannah M.

Guest guest

Why don't you start by posting some of your questions? If they reflect the sincerity then surely the members here will respond.

Ok, thanks for the advice!

Ok. Some of the questions I added since I'm a Christian, I'd like to know what Hindus think about teh Christian religion. :)

1. What does your faith mean to you personally? Socially? Culturally?
  2. How do you live your faith day-to-day?
  3. How easy or difficult is it to practice your faith in the United States?
  4. Which portion of your sacred scriptures is most meaningful to you and why? Which is most challenging?
  5. What holy places are especially significant to your faith? Why?
  6. Have you ever been on a pilgrimage to a holy place or sacred site? What was it like? Are you planning to go in the future? How important is it for you to go?
  7. What role does your family play in the practice and living out of your faith?
  8. How do you view Christianity and the Christian church?
  9. What is your general impression of Christians?
  10. What do you think of Jesus?
  11. Do you know any followers of your faith who have converted to Christianity? Why do you think they became Christian?
If anyone wants to pm them to me, or if you want to answer them right here and now, that's fine. Or you can email them to me. Whatever. :)

Again, Guest1, thanks for the advice!

Not sure exactly where to put this... but here it is. :P

Hello! I'm really new here. I'm a highschool senior and I need some help with an assignment for one of my classes. We are required to chat with someone who holds a different view of life or practices a different religion from ourselves. I am a believer in Jesus Christ, and I thought it would be very interesting to interview a follower of the Hindu way of life. I was wondering if perhaps someone from this forum would be willing to talk with me? All it is is a list of questions that I will ask (and can answer too, if the interviewee likes) that talks about what the interviewee, as a Hindu, thinks about God(s), their religion, the natural state of man, etc, etc. Rest assured, it will not be some heated debate where I will blame the interviewee or tell them that they are wrong or anything. All it will be is a discussion about the differences in our faiths and learning about the different beliefs and how each of us feels about our religions. This is all for an assignment for my history class, and I would be presenting some parts of our chat to the class as a short presentation. :)

I would be very encouraged if someone from this forum would help me out... I've already asked people on other forums to chat with me, but they haven't responded at all to my posts... :( I hope someone replies!!

Like I said, I am only doing this so that I can learn some things about the Hindu religion on a deeper level than the textbooks or other resources say. I'd like to know what a Hindu personally feels about their religion and understand it! It should be very interesting, and I honestly promise that is will not be a debate or hateful speech type thing.

Thank you!

inquirer-for-truth, aka, Hannah M.

I would love to talk with you at any length and depth on my strong interest (and too often weak practice) in what you may call Hinduism although I disput that label.

I am not sure I am what you are looking for however. I am a reborn Christian (don't like that label either) and ave been chanting Hare Krsna (off and on)since 1970. I would like to answer your questions, as best as I am able, am to discuss the point on why Christians can and should avail themselves of the tremendous knowledge of the one and only true God, The Father and Beloved Lord of Jesus Christ (and us all).

I also will avoid heated debates and arguments. I believe we could have a fruitful exchange if you care to.

All praise to Yoshua and all Praise to Krsna.

I would love to talk with you at any length and depth on my strong interest (and too often weak practice) in what you may call Hinduism although I disput that label.

I am not sure I am what you are looking for however. I am a reborn Christian (don't like that label either) and ave been chanting Hare Krsna (off and on)since 1970. I would like to answer your questions, as best as I am able, am to discuss the point on why Christians can and should avail themselves of the tremendous knowledge of the one and only true God, The Father and Beloved Lord of Jesus Christ (and us all).

I also will avoid heated debates and arguments. I believe we could have a fruitful exchange if you care to.

All praise to Yoshua and all Praise to Krsna.

Ok, I'll try to avoid the 'Hindu' label. :)

I think it would be very interesting to get to know what you believe and how you live your faith! I think my teacher might be looking for someone with a more defined faith in the Hindu religion, so I can interview a number of people so that I can learn even more!

Praise Jesus indeed!:pray: Thanks very much, theist!

How would you like to chat? By pm? or email? I'm open for either! Hehe, I'm getting really excited about this! It sounds very interesting!

Namaste,

I think it only fair that first you give us a brief explanation why you have chosen your religious path. Hinduism is a way of life and not specifically a 'religion'. All paths lead to God...As the Vedas say "He is One without a second" and we as hindus should love and accept all. With that in mind, below are some words from Black Elk, a plains indian of the Ogalala Soiux tribe, published around 1932. He was a relative of Chief Crazy Horse...

"Hey Hey! hey hey! hey hey! hey hey!

Grandfather, Great Spirit, you have been always, and before you no one has been. There is no other one to pray to but you. You yourself, everything that you see, everything has been made by you. The star nations all over the universe you have finished. The four quarters of the earth you have finished. The day, and in that day, everything you have finished. Grandfather, Great Spirit, lean close to the earth that you may hear the voice I send. You towards where the sun goes down, behold me; Thunder Beings, behold me! You where the White Giant lives in power, behold me! You where the sun shines continually, whence come the daybreak star and the day, behold me! You where the summer lives, behold me! You in the depths of the heavens, an eagle of power, behold! And you, Mother Earth, the only Mother, you who have shown mercy to your children!

Hear me, four quarters of the world--a relative I am! Give me the strength to walk the soft earth, a relative to all that is! Give me the eyes to see and the strength to understand, that I may be like you. With your power only can I face the winds.

Great Spirit, Great Spirit, my Grandfather, all over the earth the faces of living things are all alike. With tenderness have these come up out of the ground. Look upon these faces of children without number and with children in their arms, that they may face the winds and walk the good road to the day of quiet.

This is my prayer; hear me! The voice I have sent is weak, yet with earnestness I have sent it. Hear me!

It is finished. Hetchetu aloh! (So it is)

Nine Beliefs of Hinduism

1. Hindus believe in the divinity of the Vedas, the world's most ancient scripture, and venerate the Agamas as equally revealed. These primordial hymns are God's word and the bedrock of Sanatana Dharma, the eternal religion which has neither beginning nor end.

2. Hindus believe in a one, all-pervasive Supreme Being who is both immanent and transcendent, both Creator and Unmanifest Reality.

3. Hindus believe that the universe undergoes endless cycles of creation, preservation and dissolution.

4. Hindus believe in karma, the law of cause and effect by which each individual creates his own destiny by his thoughts, words and deeds.

5. Hindus believe that the soul reincarnates, evolving through many births until all karmas have been resolved, and moksha, spiritual knowledge and liberation from the cycle of rebirth, is attained. Not a single soul will be eternally deprived of this destiny.

6. Hindus believe that divine beings exist in unseen worlds and that temple worship, rituals, sacraments as well as personal devotionals create a communion with these devas and Gods.

7. Hindus believe that a spiritually awakened master, a guru or satguru, is essential to know the Transcendent Absolute, as are personal discipline, good conduct, purification, pilgrimage, self-inquiry and meditation.

8. Hindus believe that all life is sacred, to be loved and revered, and therefore practice ahimsa, "noninjury."

9. Hindus believe that no particular religion teaches the only way to salvation above all others, but that all genuine religious paths are facets of God's Pure Love and Light, deserving tolerance and understanding.

Namaste,

I think it only fair that first you give us a brief explanation why you have chosen your religious path.

Sure! Sorry I didn't respond right away, I was at drama club practice. :cool:

I was introduced to Christianity by my parents. They are both devoted and true believers in Jesus Christ. For most of my life, I assumed that 'Hey, since my parents are Christians, I must be a Christian too!', acting as if faith and belief is something that can be inherited or passed on from parent to child. I led a life of self-deception. I thought I was a Christian only because I grew up in a Christian home, and didn't care to bridle my actions or to live for Christ myself. Until -- praise God! -- the beginning of last summer. I attended a conference where I heard the calling of God through believing, Christian speakers who taught straight from the Bible. God spoke to me, and called me to Him. And now, I can truly say that I am a Christian, because I have handed my life over to Him! He is now in charge of my life's steering wheel, and I dedicate my life to Him. :pray:

That's my testimony. :) I hope that serves as a good answer...

Hinduism is a way of life and not specifically a 'religion'.

As is Christianity! I'm sorry if I offended or insulted anyone. I'm rather new at these terms; now that I know, I shall be more careful! (psst, thanks for pointing that out!!)

Nine Beliefs of Hinduism

1. Hindus believe in the divinity of the Vedas, the world's most ancient scripture, and venerate the Agamas as equally revealed. These primordial hymns are God's word and the bedrock of Sanatana Dharma, the eternal religion which has neither beginning nor end.

2. Hindus believe in a one, all-pervasive Supreme Being who is both immanent and transcendent, both Creator and Unmanifest Reality.

3. Hindus believe that the universe undergoes endless cycles of creation, preservation and dissolution.

4. Hindus believe in karma, the law of cause and effect by which each individual creates his own destiny by his thoughts, words and deeds.

5. Hindus believe that the soul reincarnates, evolving through many births until all karmas have been resolved, and moksha, spiritual knowledge and liberation from the cycle of rebirth, is attained. Not a single soul will be eternally deprived of this destiny.

6. Hindus believe that divine beings exist in unseen worlds and that temple worship, rituals, sacraments as well as personal devotionals create a communion with these devas and Gods.

7. Hindus believe that a spiritually awakened master, a guru or satguru, is essential to know the Transcendent Absolute, as are personal discipline, good conduct, purification, pilgrimage, self-inquiry and meditation.

8. Hindus believe that all life is sacred, to be loved and revered, and therefore practice ahimsa, "noninjury."

9. Hindus believe that no particular religion teaches the only way to salvation above all others, but that all genuine religious paths are facets of God's Pure Love and Light, deserving tolerance and understanding.

Wow. :ponder:That gives me a lot to think about... *scribbles notes* That's very helpful, thank you!! Would you mind chatting with me and answering some of my questions? (If you're concerned about things being fair and everything, I can answer these questions, too, from my perspective! It should be interesting :) )

Thanks again

Guest guest

Most of the time, these 'questions' are not made by those who need them for their project. It's just a clever way of getting info out of people, who otherwise wouldn't talk about it. Seen way tooooo many of those.

Most of the time, these 'questions' are not made by those who need them for their project. It's just a clever way of getting info out of people, who otherwise wouldn't talk about it. Seen way tooooo many of those.

Alright. Let's just say that I'm one of those rare occasions. Seriously. Let me give you my teacher's website:

pottersschool.org/profafann

Click on World Religions Class. That's my class. You can find the dates for 'interview presentations' on that page as well. There y'are. My name is on the last day. HannahM. That's me...

Don't trust me if you don't want to. It's true.. I would like some information. About the Hindu way of life. If you want, during the interview, I can answer any of your questions. So that you can get information outta me.

I'm definitely hurt. But I see what you mean. I wouldn't trust someone off the internet either... :eek4:

EDIT: Btw, check the 'Basic course description' on the World Religions class homepage. You'll see that we are assigned to interview. Check it. Please...

I'll answer briefly. Please forgive my honesty:

• What does your faith mean to you personally? Socially? Culturally?

Faith is my identity. It is who and what I am, why I exist. Socially it makes me an outcast, for the West is an ungodly place. Culturally it makes me a vegetarian, who eats with his right hand, and who has a taste for the finer elements of this world.

• How do you live your faith day-to-day?

Moment-to-moment the secret of every religion is to surrender to the will of God (Thy will be done). When Krsna spoke to Arjuna in the scripture known as the Bhagavad-gita (Song of God), after explaining so many ways to learn to love Him, His final instruction was "Abandon all varieties of religion and just surrender unto Me".

• How easy or difficult is it to practice your faith in the United States?

If one is wise he doesn't talk specifics, only generalized nonsectarian religious truth, and then only as much as the passionate audience can tolerate. If you make friends with an elephant trainer, you need to have room in your living room for an elephant. Therefore truly religious people have few friends that are not elephant trainers as well. But one can remember God anywhere anytime, surrounded by any kind of people. It's only when we try to divert them from their enjoyment, turning them towards God, that we sometimes incur their wrath.

• Which portion of your sacred scriptures is most meaningful to you and why? Which is most challenging?

To me, "Remember Me and do not forget Me" and "Just surrender unto Me" and "Seek ye first the Kingdom of God" are the most meaningful. The first two are spoken by Lord Krishna and the last by Lord Jesus Christ. I find those statements most meaningful because essential truth, spoken concisely is true eloquence - and they sum up our best interest so very memorably. The most challenging topic is the understanding of the essence of love of God known as Sri Sri Radha-Krsna. For me it remains an enchanting unknowable miracle.

• What holy places are especially significant to your faith? Why?

Vrindavan and Mayapura, India are very holy, although there are thousands of holy places of pilgrimage in India. Vrindavan is the place where Krsna and His lover, Radha spent their intimate time, and it is said to be identical to Their private garden in the Kingdom of God. Mayapura is where Lord Caitanya appeared, and where He continues to this day to sing and dance in the ecstacy of love of God in some unperceivable dimension of reality.

• Have you ever been on a pilgrimage to a holy place or sacred site? What was it like? Are you planning to go in the future? How important is it for you to go?

I have never been to India. I have been to holy Temples which were sanctified by the presence of saintly men and women, and the arcana and sound forms of God. It was peaceful, very peaceful, no anxieties. It felt like you could stay forever. I would go to India, but only if it happens. I feel no great need to go, since God seems to be everywhere I go. I essentially just follow my feet around moment-to-moment, and if they go to India, then I'll go with them.

• What role does your family play in the practice and living out of your faith?

I have a son who gave me strength to continue against all odds on the devotional path to God decades ago.

• How do you view Christianity and the Christian church?

Everyone does what they can do, what they need to do. Jesus and his disciples left us little real theology, so most of it is simply the speculation of sincere followers. For me, the words of Jesus are gospel. Had it not been so, I would never have had the fortune to come in contact with and drown in the waves of love of God that flow from India. Lord Jesus told me to love God; Lord Caitanya tells me how.

• What is your general impression of Christians?

Well, most people including me in all religions are poseurs, doing what we can despite attachments to this world. I think very few know what Jesus actually taught, and for this I blame the preachers. Yet, if they were to know, they would have difficulty giving up their enjoyment of the world, for it is easier to pass a camel through the eye of a needle than for a worldly rich man to enter the Kingdom of God.

• What do you think of Jesus?

Jesus was sent by Krsna to teach the good news about the Kingdom of God. That is the essence of preaching. How else will we know? That is what life is about, not food and fancy clothing, power and lust, and all our nonsense abound.

• Do you know any followers of your faith who have converted to Christianity? Why do you think they became Christian?

I think they were poor Hindus, so they will be equally poor Christians. The essence is the same: surrender to God and love God. The attachments that blocked them from the Kingdom before will still block them. For the wise man: a Christian is a Hindu, and a Hindu is a Christian. This is the actual reality. Seeing difference, that disqualifies the poseurs.

Well, that is who I am, and except for a few possible eccentricities here and there, that is Hinduism, in its highest realization.

gHari

While "Communicating the Gospel to Hindus/Muslims/Jews/Buddhists" may be the goal of this 'history' course, it does indeed appear that a Hindu has just preached the Gospel of Jesus Christ to a Christian.

Hallelujah, Hannah!

If you really want to help the Hindus, the Muslims, the Jews, etc. simply preach "Thy will be done" and the "Kingdom of God". This is universal essential religious truth, and the essense of every religious system. Then you will be actually serving the desires of Lord Jesus. Don't throw stumbling blocks at the feet of the weak. The Holy Spirit will not support such efforts. Let Him guide your words to avoid the hypocrisy.

P.S. Hannah, don't believe everything your teachers or their books tell you. There is a very definite agenda in that curriculum. You will get the straight goods here.

While "Communicating the Gospel to Hindus/Muslims/Jews/Buddhists" may be the goal of this 'history' course, it does indeed appear that a Hindu has just preached the Gospel of Jesus Christ to a Christian.

Hallelujah, Hannah!

If you really want to help the Hindus, the Muslims, the Jews, etc. simply preach "Thy will be done" and the "Kingdom of God". This is universal essential religious truth, and the essense of every religious system. Then you will be actually serving the desires of Lord Jesus. Don't throw stumbling blocks at the feet of the weak. The Holy Spirit will not support such efforts. Let Him guide your words to avoid the hypocrisy.

P.S. Hannah, don't believe everything your teachers or their books tell you. There is a very definite agenda in that curriculum. You will get the straight goods here.

gHari... thank you SO much!! I'm incredibly grateful for your response and everything. And you're totally right! Many Christians are so hypocritical (which makes me mad) and only minister to others for simply adding numbers to a church (which is just WRONG). There are some of us (including my family and me) that believe in what you just said there. If there was an hugging emoticon, I would use it. ;):D

Erm. I had said before that I had to present just a couple of the answers to the class. In case you hadn't noticed that, is that ok with you? It'll simply be a max of 3 of the questions and answers that I thought the most interesting to me. If you have a problem w/ that, please, go ahead and tell me... :) And I owe you a favor... hehe, the best I can over internet. ^.^

P.S. and thanks for the advice! I'll add it to my 'Helpful Tips for College' list... :P

EDIT:

another P.S. if you wish, I could answer the questions too. I know there were some concerns about fairness, etc. :)

Just wanted to add something here:

I consider Jesus to be my first Guru in this life, He set me up with a foundation I could progress to find the Vaisnavas and the path that most resonates within my heart. I would say the one thing I really appreciate the most from 'Hinduism' in the inclusiveness in seeing Divinity wherever He appears. This is often lacking in other faiths or sects within faiths.

Ok it feels a little like school but lets hope it educates someone

What does your faith mean to you personally? Socially? Culturally?

Faith is a deep ocean, some are just touching their toes at the shore while others are sailing, swimming, playing in various depths of that divine infinite shining sea. Hindhuism like Christianity, Islam or Buddhism may act as navigational instruments but when it comes to Reality the Beautiful Lord they limit the everfresh, evernew revelations of the Lords glorious pastimes.

And if not seen thru the eyes and faith of a pure lover of God they may well even be a stumbling block. So faith by definition means that if you get Him You get everything. If you serve Him you serve everyone and if you know Him all substantial knowledge will be revealed to you. By loving the centre everyone is automatically loved.

Socially? We may well feel one with the organic whole but that doesn't mean they will accept us as one with them if they are not developed enough. That's why we are all seeking out like hearted souls with more accomodating consciousness.<?xml:namespace prefix = v ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:vml" /><v:shapetype id=_x0000_t75 stroked="f" filled="f" path="m@4@5l@4@11@9@11@9@5xe" o:preferrelative="t" o:spt="75" coordsize="21600,21600"> <v:stroke joinstyle="miter"></v:stroke><v:formulas><v:f eqn="if lineDrawn pixelLineWidth 0"></v:f><v:f eqn="sum @0 1 0"></v:f><v:f eqn="sum 0 0 @1"></v:f><v:f eqn="prod @2 1 2"></v:f><v:f eqn="prod @3 21600 pixelWidth"></v:f><v:f eqn="prod @3 21600 pixelHeight"></v:f><v:f eqn="sum @0 0 1"></v:f><v:f eqn="prod @6 1 2"></v:f><v:f eqn="prod @7 21600 pixelWidth"></v:f><v:f eqn="sum @8 21600 0"></v:f><v:f eqn="prod @7 21600 pixelHeight"></v:f><v:f eqn="sum @10 21600 0"></v:f></v:formulas><v:path o:connecttype="rect" gradientshapeok="t" o:extrusionok="f"></v:path><o:lock aspectratio="t" v:ext="edit"></o:lock></v:shapetype><v:shape id=_x0000_i1025 style="WIDTH: 12pt; HEIGHT: 12pt" alt="0" type="#_x0000_t75"><v:imagedata o:href="http://www.indiadivine.org/audarya/images/smilies/wink.gif" src="file:///C:\DOCUME~1\CHINTA~1\LOCALS~1\Temp\msohtml1\01\clip_image001.gif"></v:imagedata></v:shape><v:shape id=_x0000_i1026 style="WIDTH: 13.5pt; HEIGHT: 13.5pt" alt="0" type="#_x0000_t75"><v:imagedata o:href="http://www.indiadivine.org/audarya/images/smilies/praying.gif" src="file:///C:\DOCUME~1\CHINTA~1\LOCALS~1\Temp\msohtml1\01\clip_image002.gif"></v:imagedata></v:shape>

Culturally I see it as the highest culture of the Soul. The refined essence of Hindhuism is this Sanatan Vaisnavism. And although it is a culture rarely ever seen or experienced in this world you will find the sweetest fullfilment therein.

• How do you live your faith day-to-day?

By the Grace of my spiritual master, the vaisnavas (servants of God ) and God Himself. there is no life without them.

• How easy or difficult is it to practice your faith in the <?xml:namespace prefix = st1 ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:office:smarttags" /><st1:country-region><st1:place>United States</st1:place></st1:country-region>?

Very difficult....seeing as I don't live there, but in Australia it is probably the same as America if we are insincere we won't be able to practice anywhere, whereby if we are genuinely wanting to do God's will then no environment will stop us. Yet to start with the environment will definitly help remind us what we should be doing, so it is better to live in the company of more advanced souls than ourself if possible, it's easy for me.

• Which portion of your sacred scriptures is most meaningful to you and why? Which is most challenging?

Service to my Guru, mercy to all living entities, and love for God appeals to my heart most because everything else comes from that. Also the wonder of the soul who we are and the supersoul hold some interest. They are all challenging because I have a conditioned nature to do the opposite.

I also have a special place in my heart for the siksastakam prayers of Chaitanya Mahaprabhu, as they are the sweetest condensed essence of all scripture.

• What holy places are especially significant to your faith? Why?

As Gaudiya Vaisnavas we especially treasure the Holy trinity of Hallowed grounds known as Vrindavan- Navadwip and Jagganath Puri, all are in <st1:country-region><st1:place>India</st1:place></st1:country-region>, and all are also in the holy persons heart so let's add that to the list. A few more are Kurukshetra where Srimati Radhika was reunited with Krsna and Badrikasram in the <st1:place>Himalayas</st1:place>.

They are extremely wonderful places to remember and serve God in because you will hear His Holy Names being chanted by countless streams of pilgrims 24/7/365 and literally thousands of saints have walked, rolled, danced and served in these unique places having revelations of Krishna- Chaitanya Mahaprabhu and many other Avatars of Godhead. So they have a certain sacred potency you won't find in the mundane environment. Places like Vrndavan are almost 100% vegetarian so there is a mutual respect for the whole divine animation there.

• Have you ever been on a pilgrimage to a holy place or sacred site? What was it like? Are you planning to go in the future? How important is it for you to go?

I personally have been to many holy places from the tip of Kanyakumari in the extreme south of India to the source of the <st1:place>Ganges</st1:place> on the roof of the world in the <st1:place>Himalayas</st1:place> to the north, close to the borders of <st1:country-region><st1:place>Tibet</st1:place></st1:country-region> they all have a unique individual charm to them, according to the pastime that might have manifest there.

It's a subjective experience you have to go to find out for yourself why you were directed there.

My feet are about to go there in a few days so I'm gonna go with 'em.

It always helps to inspire devotional activity in me, hearing from many of the wonderful souls who live in the Holy places. It's also recommended in our scriptures to visit the holy places and persons residing there. But we must always remember we can't just purchase a ticket to the holy places as they are transcendental and can only be truly entered by The Lords Grace

What role does your family play in the practice and living out of your faith?

Sometimes they help, sometimes they hinder, some are more inclined to the devotional path than others, but at least all are sympathetic and not anti.

How do you view Christianity and the Christian church?

Real Christianity you will probably find amongst the devotees of Krsna but the large sect that has proliferated around the Name of Jesus rarely meets the standard of divinity He came to distribute. In those days He preached, "many things I can tell you about the Kingdom of my Father but you are not ready for them" That still stands 2000 years down the track! One must be cultivated with lifetimes of pious practice observing the will of God strictly following spiritual principles before we are ready to receive the Absolute Truth. Many of the devotees here in this forum, I included, came to Krsna thru Jesus teachings. We understand Jesus loves Krsna and Krsna loves Jesus, and anyone who disagrees with this will be stuck in their sectarian spirit untill Krsna reveals otherwise.

• What is your general impression of Christians?

Overall it is better to have some faith in theism than be an atheist, but blind faith in a static conception of Divinity that isn't open to the dynamic constant miracles of Gods presence everywhere can be detrimental and even dangerous to our spiritual development and evolution.

• What do you think of Jesus?

He's a nice devotee.

and He is our very dear well wisher, like all genuine spiritual masters he wants us to meet the one who sent him and go to that place where all speech is a song and all movement a dance, where the trees are wish fullfilling and yield anything you want, water is nectar and the whole animation is a madhouse of Divine Love for every other part of that environment, where each and every atom inspires every other to further love and serve Their beautiful Lordships at the centre of everyones life there, so that we will stop suffering in this material world of misconception.

Thanks, Sridas!! Wow, this is all very interesting! :eek2: So much information, and gHari, you're right, the textbooks really don't say everything about the Hindu way of life!! Thanks so much, everyone, for the responses... it really means alot to me, that people are willing to share their faith and thoughts with me!! *hugs everyone*

Lol, sorry, Sridas, if it feels like school... *poke* it IS a school project, y'know :P. Thanks again for your six cents worth!! ;)

Thanks, Sridas!! Wow, this is all very interesting! :eek2: So much information, and gHari, you're right, the textbooks really don't say everything about the Hindu way of life!! Thanks so much, everyone, for the responses... it really means alot to me, that people are willing to share their faith and thoughts with me!! *hugs everyone*

Lol, sorry, Sridas, if it feels like school... *poke* it IS a school project, y'know :P. Thanks again for your six cents worth!! ;)

At your service Hannah.

I hope y' class is pleased and a little enlightened with the devotees perspective on things spiritual. Feel free t come an visit us some more.

No problem with school, if only my projects were so interesting whenever I went.... maybe I would have stayed longer. If they taught these ideals in school we'd all be on our way Home.

:idea: Hmmm maybe you can introduce a class of joyous spiritual practice that you just can't get enough of.

Perhaps you could read parts of the Bhagavad Gita to your class and explain the different types of yoga, beginning with bhakti yoga. The Gita is an easy read though its message is profound. You may also want to visit Krishna.com to get the ISKCON perspectives. Maybe a little more than you were bargaining for, but well worth the effort.

Me? I have come to the Hindu faith via Christianinty. My parents raised me in the Church of God but the preachers could never answer all of my (many) questions from a very early age. I started studingying religion and thought I had found a home with the Catholics. My parents and schools shunned the eastern religions because they considered most of them idol worshipers. Today I know that that is far from the case. I am proud to practice within ISKCON by the mercy of Lord Krishna.

One last thing that I've been tought concerning religion - there are many paths along the way. Choose your path and follow it faithfully and with devotion. No one religion is better than another because it's the love of Krishna (God, Christ, etc) that drives us on.

Best of luck with the project. You may also like the hindunet forums as well as hindudharmaforums.com.

All the best

Clayton

Thanks so much for the advice and pointers, Clayton! I've learned A LOT about Hindus and the paths they've chosen on this forum, and all of this has helped so much with my project!! I presented today, and it all went well. Everyone thought the facts and answers to the questions I asked were very interesting and *lol* were jealous about what a great experience I told them I had. :D

Thank you again to everyone who responded in all their different ways and helped me out. I am extremely grateful to all of you, and it has been a great experience making friends here and learning about your views and way of life!! *hugs* I'll stick around and try to keep in touch...

Thank you thank you thank you again!!! *waves*

~HannahM, aka inquirer-for-truth

EDIT: like I said, I'll hang around! I've made such nice friends here... ^.^