IndiaDivine.org
Sign in to follow this  
Guest guest

Did Lord Chaitanya compose the Brahma-Samhita?

Rate this topic

I don't believe there is an associate of Mahaprabhu or any acharya that has ever made such a ridiculous claim.

What to speak of the works of Srila Saraswati Thakur and Srila Bhaktivinode Thakur, there are those who challenge the authenticity of the Brahma Samhita, saying it so much supports his conception, that it must have been written by Mahaprabhu Himself. In Srila Sridhar Maharaja's opinion, if that be the case, its value has increased ad infinitum.

Sripad Bhakti Sudhir Goswami Maharaja

Daily Darshan Tuesday, December 17, 2002

I think it is possible that Mahaprabhu might have manifested the Brahma Samhita out of his spiritual powers, if indeed the text had been lost in antiquity.

But, to say that he authored it is something else.

Mahaprabhu certainly had the power to manifest a copy of Brahma Samhita from his mind or bring it down from a higher planet or any such scendario.

But, I don't think that Mahaprabhu was a liar and a cheater and presenting his own works as the Brahma Samhita.

Mahaprabhu didn't need to write the book.

He could just make it appear from Satyaloka if he wanted to.

I think it is possible that Mahaprabhu might have manifested the Brahma Samhita out of his spiritual powers, if indeed the text had been lost in antiquity.

this is not what Krsnadasa Kaviraja says. He said Mahaprabhu found it in a temple library in South India. many ancient vedic texts have been lost over the centuries.

:deal:If Shakti-fan bought the land next to Guruvani:

Shakti-fan: Hey Guruvani wanna debate the rtvik issue?

Guruvani: Nah, lets play "The Tonight Show".

Shakti-Fan: I'll be Johnny Carson and you be Ed McMahon

Guruvani: No, I'm Johnny and your Ed.

Shati-fan: No, I'm Johnny and your Ed.

Ad infinitum, Ad Nauseum

this is not what Krsnadasa Kaviraja says. He said Mahaprabhu found it in a temple library in South India. many ancient vedic texts have been lost over the centuries.

In the introduction of Brahma Samhita as presented by Srila Saraswati Goswami he says:

The text surfaced and entered calculable history early in the sixteen century

So, the text was essentially lost and unknown to be there.

He further states:

The pilgrim who rescued Brahma-samhita from obscurity was no ordinary pilgrim, and His pilgrimage was not meant, as in the custom, for self-purification but for world-purification. He was Sri Caitanya Mahaprabhu--saint, mystic, religious, reformer, and full incarnation of the Supreme Lord, Sri Krsna, descending into the present epoch for the salvation of all souls. At the time of His discovery of the text, Sri Caitanya was touring South India, preaching His message of love of Krsna and promulgating the practice of sankirtana, congregational singing of the holy names of God.

So, for all practical purposes, the text was lost and unknown till Mahaprabhu "found it" in the library of the Adi-Keshava temple.

His "finding" the text could have been something more than just shuffling through a bunch of old manuscripts and finding it stuck on the back shelf of some library.

But, for our ears it has been told that he found it somewhere in that library.

Either way, he has never been claimed as the author by the Gaudiya acharyas as far as I have ever heard.

I think the sahajiyas do claim that Mahaprabhu wrote the book himself though.

I guess I am one sahajiya who does agree with that idea!

in the last 5 centuries there have been many cases of forged manuscripts, passed around by the forgers as original vedic writings. the concerns over the origins of BS are not really that absurd.

For a Gaudiya Vaishnava in the line of Mahaprabhu, i think such doubts are indeed absurd.

Maybe for academics who have no faith it is absurd.

For Gaudiya Vaishnavas it should not seem absurd at all.

Guest guest

Sundarananda Vidyavinode was a disciple of Saraswati Thakur and a pal of Anantavasudeva. He is the one who raised the issue that maybe Mahaprabhu wrote that book. His idea comes out of his faithlessness. He doubts not only Saraswati Thakur but also Kaviraj Goswami, who said the book was found by Mahaprabhu in south india.