IndiaDivine.org
Sign in to follow this  
theist

Three paths of advancement

Rate this topic

SB 11.20.6: The Supreme Personality of Godhead said: My dear Uddhava, because I desire that human beings may achieve perfection, I have presented three paths of advancement -- the path of knowledge, the path of work and the path of devotion. Besides these three there is absolutely no other means of elevation.

SB 11.20.7: Among these three paths, jnana-yoga, the path of philosophical speculation, is recommended for those who are disgusted with material life and are thus detached from ordinary, fruitive activities. Those who are not disgusted with material life, having many desires yet to fulfill, should seek perfection through the path of karma-yoga.

SB 11.20.8: If somehow or other by good fortune one develops faith in hearing and chanting My glories, such a person, being neither very disgusted with nor attached to material life, should achieve perfection through the path of loving devotion to Me.

Click on verse # for commentary by Srila Prabhupada's students and disciples.

SB 11.20.6: The Supreme Personality of Godhead said: My dear Uddhava, because I desire that human beings may achieve perfection, I have presented three paths of advancement -- the path of knowledge, the path of work and the path of devotion. Besides these three there is absolutely no other means of elevation.

SB 11.20.7: Among these three paths, jnana-yoga, the path of philosophical speculation, is recommended for those who are disgusted with material life and are thus detached from ordinary, fruitive activities. Those who are not disgusted with material life, having many desires yet to fulfill, should seek perfection through the path of karma-yoga.

SB 11.20.8: If somehow or other by good fortune one develops faith in hearing and chanting My glories, such a person, being neither very disgusted with nor attached to material life, should achieve perfection through the path of loving devotion to Me.

Click on verse # for commentary by Srila Prabhupada's students and disiples

what would you give to have been a fly on the wall during that conversation??? :)

what would you give to have been a fly on the wall during that conversation??? :)

That is a good question. Fortunately we have a transcript in the SB to work with. Now what will we give of ourselves to be allowed to enter in to the meaning of what is said remains to be seen by all of us.

What will we give? I think Krsna wants everything.

The conditioned living entities who wish to enjoy and not serve are given a chance within Devi-dhama to seek liberation. Some of them enter Hari-dhama, some of them enter Mahesa-dhama, and some of them remain within Devi-dhama. Mahesa-dhama is the marginal place between Hari-dhama and Devi-dhama. The impersonalists who want to merge into the existence of the Transcendence are placed within Mahesa-dhama. Those who want to remain within the planetary systems of the material universes do so on various planets. But those who want to go outside the material energy can enter Hari-dhama and go either to the various planets there or directly to Krsnaloka. The system of bhakti-yoga makes one eligible to enter Hari-dhama, the system of jnana-yoga makes one eligible to enter Mahesa-dhama, and the system of karma-yoga obliges one to remain in Devi-dhama and repeatedly be born and die, changing his material covering according to the standard of karma he performs.

The jnani should meditate on the Supreme Person and think of Him only and thus surpass Mahesh-dhama.

The karma-yogi should seek pleasure in working for the Supreme Lord and forget about this Devi-dhama of unfullfilled promises.

The pure devotee is rightly situated. Rather working or in contemplation his only object of awareness is Krsna and his only purpose in working is to please Krsna.

Bhakti-yoga is the only all-inclusive path and it leads to Hari-dhama.

The jnani should meditate on the Supreme Person and think of Him only and thus surpass Mahesh-dhama.

The karma-yogi should seek pleasure in working for the Supreme Lord and forget about this Devi-dhama of unfullfilled promises.

The pure devotee is rightly situated. Rather working or in contemplation his only object of awareness is Krsna and his only purpose in working is to please Krsna.

Bhakti-yoga is the only all-inclusive path and it leads to Hari-dhama.

I am seeing Paramatma talking to me directly in this post.:eek:

I wish I was intelligent enough to take his advice.

Unfortunately, I am not.

That is a good question. Fortunately we have a transcript in the SB to work with. Now what will we give of ourselves to be allowed to enter in to the meaning of what is said remains to be seen by all of us.

What will we give? I think Krsna wants everything.

The meanings of the SB are often way beyond me... in fact all the time! All i know is - i gotta love and serve more :)

I am seeing Paramatma talking to me directly in this post.:eek:

I wish I was intelligent enough to take his advice.

Unfortunately, I am not.

I often sense that Paramatma is always speaking to us through others and through apparently mundane sights and sounds. But what is lacking is "ears to hear" as Jesus Christ said.

Taking His advice includes also a process of purification. So in that way and to the degree that we surrounder we are taking His advice. We are just 100% at present but the future is bright if we stay on track.

The meanings of the SB are often way beyond me... in fact all the time! All i know is - i gotta love and serve more :)

Sounds like you have captured the meaning quite well prabhu. We are not such great philosophers that we can handle all the subtlties of the SB. At best most of us in this age are just crumb snatchers but it sounds like you snatched the cherry on top.

Well snatched Gaea prabhu!

I have sometimes recognized the cherry also but unfortunately I have no taste for it yet, but someday....