IndiaDivine.org
Sign in to follow this  
Tirisilex

sannyasis and brahmacaris ??

Rate this topic

What are these? sannyasis and brahmacaris are they certain states of Devotion? Is there names for those who are pure dovetees and those who are completely new to all this?? I'm trying to learn all of this but I keep running into terminology I dont understand.. I find myself with a dictionary and a online dictionary just to study this religion.

Sanyasa has a long tradition in India. Bramhacharis are one who is celibate. Though the literal meaning of Bramhachari is the one who allways follows Bramhan the menaning mentioned above is commonly associated. All Sanyasins are people who are totally detached from wordly desires. They live in this word and perform their duties but do not attach themselves with its fruit. A sannyasin is always a Bramhachari where as a Bramhachari need not be always a sanyasi.

(I have expained the meaning of sanyasin in nutshell. It actually has deep meaning than this)

Guest guest

root word: brahma charya = the path [charya pada] of studying Brahman aka the Supreme Absolute Truth

brahmacari = male celibate students usually age 5 to age 25

wears saffron/ peach/ coral color clothes "dhoti" [like cullotes/sarong combo]

brahmacarini = female ditto

sannyasi = celibate students usually age 72 to end of this life

wears saffron/ peach/ coral color clothes like a sarong/ lunghi

sannyasini = female ditto

Brahmachari - celibate (non-ordained though some formal wows might be involved)

Sannyasi - monk (the sannyasa as we know it today comes from Shankara)

also the first and last stage in the varanashrama sistem, the traditional way of ideal dividing the lifetime in 4 stages of brahmacharya (celibate student), grihasta (hausholder). Vanaprastha (recluse, renunciate) and sannyasa (monkshood). But the varanashrama system is almost non existent in the real world today (if it ever was) and sannyasa or brahmacharya are not that much related to one's age.

It is not that much different from the western monastic traditions actually.