IndiaDivine.org
Sign in to follow this  
Guest guest

which direction for sleeping

Rate this topic

Guest guest

I am about ready to rearrange my room and I am trying to remember whether we are supposed to sleep with our head facing East or North.

In ISKCON we were told that Srila Prabhupada said we should sleep with our heads pointing East or North. I can't remember which.

I imagine there is something in some Vedic text that says something about it.

Which one is it?

East or North?

In ISKCON we were told that Srila Prabhupada said we should sleep with our heads pointing East or North. I can't remember which.

Prabhupada has mentioned in one purport that sleeping with the head to the North results in negative mental influence, so it should be avoided.

Guest guest

Your head should face east or south. There is a reference in the SB; I believe Kapiladeva instructing his mother Devahuti on how to perform devotional service, but I could not locate it.

Guest guest

Prabhupada has mentioned in one purport that sleeping with the head to the North results in negative mental influence, so it should be avoided.

Does this mean that if you are an adventurer and have to spend a night sleeping at the South Pole, you cannot escape negative mental influence?

You should not lie down without having washed both of your feet or without being purified, nor with wet feet or with your head pointed west or north. You should not lie naked, or with other women, or during the sunrise or sunset. [sB 6.18.51]

Actually there is a quote from Prabhupada too - but I cannot find it - sometimes vedabase does that - don't ask me why - but I shall continue to look for it - when I find it i'll post it.

Guest guest

I've also heard that your sleeping postion is reflective of the "goorn" or mode you are in:

Goodness - sleeping on your back

Ignorance - sleeping on your front

lust/passion - sleeping on your side

Has anyone else heard this before????

Hariiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiibol

I've also heard that your sleeping postion is reflective of the "goorn" or mode you are in:

Goodness - sleeping on your back

Ignorance - sleeping on your front

lust/passion - sleeping on your side

Has anyone else heard this before????

Hariiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiibol

Yes...I have heard too....something like this---

We should sleep on our left side which is good,...and on our back is bad,...and sleeping on our right side is normal.

Don't know... this true or not!!!:confused:

If anyone know about this...explain:P

Hare Krishna

Guest guest

I am about ready to rearrange my room and I am trying to remember whether we are supposed to sleep with our head facing East or North.

I imagine there is something in some Vedic text that says something about it.

Which one is it?

East or North?

Guest guest

Easier, too, unless you have a job ya sleep on where ya have to appear awake, then, prone doesnt work so well.

I live near BC Canada so if I want to face vrndavan, I face west, or even north. East means Im facing chicago, and that doesnt work for me.

Seriously (not really), I heard north and east is best, then west, never south.

haribol, mahaksadasa