IndiaDivine.org
Sign in to follow this  
Guest guest

Sanskrit Name for Astral Body?

Rate this topic

Guest guest

I know annamaya kosha is the physical body, so is the astral body the pranamaya kosha or manomaya kosha?

In sanskrit there is the sthula sharira (physical body), sukshma sharira (astral body or subtle body) and karana sharira (the causal body). The pranamaya kosha is related to prana (not yet the astral body), and the manomaya kosha is related to mind (much closer to the astral body). But these koshas are "coverings", not bodies.

Guest guest

In sanskrit there is the sthula sharira (physical body), sukshma sharira (astral body or subtle body) and karana sharira (the causal body). The pranamaya kosha is related to prana (not yet the astral body), and the manomaya kosha is related to mind (much closer to the astral body). But these koshas are "coverings", not bodies.

Thank you, Jahnava Nitai Das. This post was informative.

Now I can share what the ancient sages called the astral and causal body, when talking to people who are interested in the Hindu teachings on the metaphysical. I knew these 'bodies' were known to the ancients, but wasn't sure what their Sanskrit name was.

It would be nice if someone made up a chart on the koshas and subtle bodies. Perhaps someone already has.

Yes, that is definitely correct. And not only do all living things have these three bodies, but we humans access the different planes where these bodies reside during different states of our consciousness. I forgot the actual Sanskrit terms for them, but we access the physical plane during the state of wakefulness (ie. where we are now), we access the astral plane during the state of dreaming and we access the causal plane during the state of deep sleep.