IndiaDivine.org
Sign in to follow this  
Guest guest

Praghosa has a way with words

Rate this topic

Guest guest

I just beg forgiveness from all the Vaishnavas. Please be merciful to me. I have no good qualities. I am ignorant and without any worth. Please pray for me to your gurus and to Chaitanya Mahaprabhu that they will be compassionate toward me. I am sorry for everything.

Guest guest

Don't bother trying to sound remotely rational on this matter. Cluck, cluck, cluck would have sufficed. Diksha is about sambandha. Disciplic succession is also about sambandha. Anyway, I am already regretting opening my mouth. I drop out of this discussion here. There is really no point.

And you got attained sambandha-jnana in a few hours or hanging out with Lalita Prasada?

I have seen people take longer shopping for a new TV set.

I have friends who were disciples of Srila Prabhupad and Srila Sridhar Maharaja who had their gayatri mantras "reinstated" by Srila Govinda Maharaja because they had not chanted on their threads for a long time.

This is not necessarily a big deal, and it's not a re-initiation. I've done this for a few godbrothers who'd stopped chanting their mantras. It's fine to ask anyone who has been chanting continually to do this for you. I considered it a refreshing of the mantras, or a reminding.

Guest guest

If a person has been engaging in sinful actions for some time then they may "sit in" at a fire yajna for purification purposes but I know of no instances at all where either Srila Sridhar Maharaj or Srila Govinda Maharaj have given diksa mantras "again" to any disciples of Srila A.C. Bhaktivedanta Swami Prabhaupada.

I myself am a disciple of Srila Prabhupada (Auckland NZ, 1973), by the way.

I don't believe Sridhar Maharaja followed this process. Govinda Maharaj does not give diksa mantras "again" to any disciples of Prabhaupada. He repeats the mantras to them on behalf of their guru so as to be reinstated or recharged with faith in the mantras. This is a form of siksha and I am not finding fault with this. I'm sure it helps those who have not chanted the mantras in a long time. My contact who wishes to remain un-named also told me that Govinda Maharaja did not whisper the mantra into his ear but rather, he spoke it out loud to a group of devotees then gave a short explanation of the Bramha gayatri based on Sridhar Maharaja's. The men and the women came into the room in seperate groups. Then he sat in the fire sacrifice.

Guest guest

And now Ramai is a Buddhist.

At least modern Buddhist know about the principle, you become what you criticize. If a person has the quality you are critizing you get that quality. If a person does not have the quality you are critizing you get that quality. I know that you think that because you are "defending" your guru you are exempt from the subtle laws of nature. Guess again. Thats why real Budhhist, impersonalists, sufis, Ramanujas, Sris, Babajis, Gaudiyas never focus an obsess on these things. So I pray that I can also see the good in you. Beneath it all I'm sure you are a sincere devotee of Mahaprabhu. Please give me your blessings to go on in Krsna Consciousness for I am but a fallen soul. I do not intend to offend you, if I have please forgive me

Guest guest

I don't believe Sridhar Maharaja followed this process. Govinda Maharaj does not give diksa mantras "again" to any disciples of Prabhaupada. He repeats the mantras to them on behalf of their guru so as to be reinstated or recharged with faith in the mantras. This is a form of siksha and I am not finding fault with this. I'm sure it helps those who have not chanted the mantras in a long time. My contact who wishes to remain un-named also told me that Govinda Maharaja did not whisper the mantra into his ear but rather, he spoke it out loud to a group of devotees then gave a short explanation of the Bramha gayatri based on Sridhar Maharaja's. The men and the women came into the room in seperate groups. Then he sat in the fire sacrifice.

Yes.

Srila Govinda Maharaja does not give "reinitiation" to disciples of Srila Prabhupada or Srila Sridhar Maharaja.

ys,

Anadi Krishna das

Guest guest

Yes.

Srila Govinda Maharaja does not give "reinitiation" to disciples of Srila Prabhupada or Srila Sridhar Maharaja.

Srila Narayana Maharaja also does not give "reinitiation" to disciples of Srila Prabhupada, Srila Sridhar Maharaja or Srila Govinda Maharaja. He follows the indentical process for reinstatement in the diksa (gayatri) mantras.

Guest guest

Srila Narayana Maharaja also does not give "reinitiation" to disciples of Srila Prabhupada, Srila Sridhar Maharaja or Srila Govinda Maharaja. He follows the indentical process for reinstatement in the diksa (gayatri) mantras.

How and when does an eternal mantra received from a bona-fide source ever become weakened or dead and in need of re-issuance?

Is the mantra like a battery that loses it's charge after some period of neglect?

Since the mantra IS Krishna, how does it become weakened or depleted?

How and when does an eternal mantra received from a bona-fide source ever become weakened or dead and in need of re-issuance?

Is the mantra like a battery that loses it's charge after some period of neglect?

Since the mantra IS Krishna, how does it become weakened or depleted?

Common sense Prabhu. Suppose one is a disciple of Srila Prabhupada and they have not chanted their gayatri mantras for so long that they can only remember fragments of some lines and have entirely forgot other lines. If that devotee again wanted to take up the process of chanting the mantras per their guru's orders they have several options. First they could request a copy of the paper that the mantras are printed on. But what if they could actually hear the mantras directly from Srila Prabhupada? Or what if they had originally heard the mantras from Srila Prabhupada on a tape recording and now they want to hear the mantras directly whispered in their ear by Srila Prabhupada? Would you object? Now supposing that it is after the disappearence of Srila Prabhupada and one of his disciples has faith that he has met a pure devotee who is also on the transcendental platform. What if they feel that it would be more inspiring to hear the mantras from the lotus lips of a pure devotee rather than just reading it from a paper? If one is sleeping they are generally awakened by sound vibration. The mantras contain the name of Krsna so they are non-different from Krsna, yes. But the capacity of the person who has recieved that mantra must be taken into account. Likewise we must take into account the capacity or potency of the person giving the mantra. Who would want to receive the mantras from an unqualified guru?

Guest guest

Common sense Prabhu. Suppose one is a disciple of Srila Prabhupada and they have not chanted their gayatri mantras for so long that they can only remember fragments of some lines and have entirely forgot other lines. If that devotee again wanted to take up the process of chanting the mantras per their guru's orders they have several options. First they could request a copy of the paper that the mantras are printed on. But what if they could actually hear the mantras directly from Srila Prabhupada? Or what if they had originally heard the mantras from Srila Prabhupada on a tape recording and now they want to hear the mantras directly whispered in their ear by Srila Prabhupada? Would you object? Now supposing that it is after the disappearence of Srila Prabhupada and one of his disciples has faith that he has met a pure devotee who is also on the transcendental platform. What if they feel that it would be more inspiring to hear the mantras from the lotus lips of a pure devotee rather than just reading it from a paper? If one is sleeping they are generally awakened by sound vibration. The mantras contain the name of Krsna so they are non-different from Krsna, yes. But the capacity of the person who has recieved that mantra must be taken into account. Likewise we must take into account the capacity or potency of the person giving the mantra. Who would want to receive the mantras from an unqualified guru?

Sounds like so much hocus-pocus to me.

Since all mantras are concentrated and condensed into the MAHA-MANTRA, it only logical that only pure chanting of the Holy Name can enhance and perfect the gayatri mantras.

Hearing the mantra again from some sadhu won't help is one doesn't purify his chanting of MAHA MANTRA.

When one has got MAHA MANTRA from the Krishna cosnciousness movement Sankirtan, then that is complete.

when one is chanting Harinama, then that has all the effects and benefits of it's partial representation in other mantras.

Maha mantra is complete. No other mantras are necessary.

Sounds like so much hocus-pocus to me.

Since all mantras are concentrated and condensed into the MAHA-MANTRA, it only logical that only pure chanting of the Holy Name can enhance and perfect the gayatri mantras.

Hearing the mantra again from some sadhu won't help is one doesn't purify his chanting of MAHA MANTRA.

When one has got MAHA MANTRA from the Krishna cosnciousness movement Sankirtan, then that is complete.

when one is chanting Harinama, then that has all the effects and benefits of it's partial representation in other mantras.

Maha mantra is complete. No other mantras are necessary.

Of course the Holy Name is all and all. But here's when your overall idea falls apart. If Srila Prabhupada suddenly appeared before you and asked you to sit next to him so he could speak the gayatri mantras in your ear would you reply, "sounds like so much hocus-pocus to me"?

Guest guest

Of course the Holy Name is all and all. But here's when your overall idea falls apart. If Srila Prabhupada suddenly appeared before you and asked you to sit next to him so he could speak the gayatri mantras in your ear would you reply, "sounds like so much hocus-pocus to me"?

That's a mighty fantastic hypothetical you have manufactured there.

I don't see any need for that anyway, because I have already been initiated by the flute music of Lord Dwarakadisha since 1975 and initiated by the gayatri tape of Srila Prabhupada since 1977.

If Srila Prabhupada didn't believe in the process of initiation by tape then he certainly would not have authorized it.

Other than that I have sat at Srila Prabhupada's lotus feet and listened to his Hari-katha, been in his kirtans and taken prasadam from his hand and from his plate.

I have seen Srila Prabhupada on the Ratha Yatra cart in San Francisco as well as at festivals in San Diego and Los Angeles.

Since i have heard Maha-mantra from the lips of Srila Prabhupada, I consider that as complete initiation, even though I took gayatri diksha by tape.

If Srila Prabhupada needed to appear to me and give me gayatri directly in the ear, then that would pretty much indicate that they way he gave it by tape was not legitimate.

I don't think Srila Prabhupada would ever do that.

Srila Prabhupada has come to me before in dreams. But, he never gave me gayatri diksha again in my ear.

He did give me a clue to his spiritual identity in a dream once.

He told me how I could find out his spiritual identity.

Since i have heard Maha-mantra from the lips of Srila Prabhupada, I consider that as complete initiation, even though I took gayatri diksha by tape.

If Srila Prabhupada needed to appear to me and give me gayatri directly in the ear, then that would pretty much indicate that they way he gave it by tape was not legitimate.

Srila Prabhupada has come to me before in dreams. But, he never gave me gayatri diksha again in my ear.

That's a mighty fantastic hypothetical you have manufactured there.

I don't see any need for that anyway, because I have already been initiated by the flute music of Lord Dwarakadisha since 1975 and initiated by the gayatri tape of Srila Prabhupada since 1977.

If Srila Prabhupada didn't believe in the process of initiation by tape then he certainly would not have authorized it.

Other than that I have sat at Srila Prabhupada's lotus feet and listened to his Hari-katha, been in his kirtans and taken prasadam from his hand and from his plate.

I have seen Srila Prabhupada on the Ratha Yatra cart in San Francisco as well as at festivals in San Diego and Los Angeles.

Hearing it through tape is certainly legitamate by Srila Prabhupada's will.

But hearing him chant gayatri in one's ear in a dream or vision would be very nice. I don't think that thought in of itself questions the validity of hearing the mantras on a tape. It depends on your angle of vision.