IndiaDivine.org
Sign in to follow this  
theist

Castles made of sand..fall into the sea..eventually.

Rate this topic

TRANSLATION Srimad Bhagvatam 3.30.2

Whatever is produced by the materialist with great pain and labor for so-called happiness, the Supreme Personality, as the time factor, destroys, and for this reason the conditioned soul laments.

PURPORT

The main function of the time factor, which is a representative of the Supreme Personality of Godhead, is to destroy everything. The materialists, in material consciousness, are engaged in producing so many things in the name of economic development. They think that by advancing in satisfying the material needs of man they will be happy, but they forget that everything they have produced will be destroyed in due course of time. From history we can see that there were many powerful empires on the surface of the globe that were constructed with great pain and great perseverance, but in due course of time they have all been destroyed. Still the foolish materialists cannot understand that they are simply wasting time in producing material necessities, which are destined to be vanquished in due course of time. This waste of energy is due to the ignorance of the mass of people, who do not know that they are eternal and that they have an eternal engagement also. They do not know that this span of life in a particular type of body is but a flash in the eternal journey. Not knowing this fact, they take the small flash of life to be everything, and they waste time in improving economic conditions.

<<< >>>

TRANSLATION Srimad Bhagvatam 3.30.2

Whatever is produced by the materialist with great pain and labor for so-called happiness, the Supreme Personality, as the time factor, destroys, and for this reason the conditioned soul laments.

PURPORT

The main function of the time factor, which is a representative of the Supreme Personality of Godhead, is to destroy everything. The materialists, in material consciousness, are engaged in producing so many things in the name of economic development. They think that by advancing in satisfying the material needs of man they will be happy, but they forget that everything they have produced will be destroyed in due course of time. From history we can see that there were many powerful empires on the surface of the globe that were constructed with great pain and great perseverance, but in due course of time they have all been destroyed. Still the foolish materialists cannot understand that they are simply wasting time in producing material necessities, which are destined to be vanquished in due course of time. This waste of energy is due to the ignorance of the mass of people, who do not know that they are eternal and that they have an eternal engagement also. They do not know that this span of life in a particular type of body is but a flash in the eternal journey. Not knowing this fact, they take the small flash of life to be everything, and they waste time in improving economic conditions.

<<< >>>

sandcastle.jpg

"Castles made of sand..fall into the sea..eventually."

:)

Reminds me of a time several years ago when some Buddhists priests (Tibetan I think) visted Berkeley. They spent a long time making this very beautiful and elaborate mandala out of colored sand as an exhibit in an open space on UC campus. Many people were watching and appreciating their work when some bum walked over and smashed it down with his feet, just spitefully trampling their beautiful creation.

Had it been me I probably would have choked the ass on the spot. But the Buddhists didn't react at all. They just watched it and then went on to something else. A very powerful lesson in remaining equiposed in the midst of the inevitable.

:)

Reminds me of a time several years ago when some Buddhists priests (Tibetan I think) visted Berkeley. They spent a long time making this very beautiful and elaborate mandala out of colored sand as an exhibit in an open space on UC campus. Many people were watching and appreciating their work when some bum walked over and smashed it down with his feet, just spitefully trampling their beautiful creation.

Some Tibetan Buddhist monks also made a sand mandala in the lobby of the library at Mesa College in San Diego, where I used to teach, some time in the late '90s. I think three or four monks spent 6-8 hours a day for two or three weeks making this enormous, elaborate mandala. Then when they had completed it, they held a big ceremony in which they swept the whole thing into bags, which they then emptied into the ocean.

Guest guest

Babhru,

That must be common to Tibetian tradtion then. Nice meditation, clean and peaceful minds.

Thats a nice lesson in working in detachment , no real joy or pain, working for krsna always joyful, ashame i cant do either.

You will. Devotees are different anyway. They would make such a mandala as an offering to Krsna to increase their attachment to Him.

Guest guest

Even shacks made of sand will be washed away with the next high tide.

It's doesn't matter if your sand structure is a castle or just a little one room shack.

When high tide comes in, all bets are off for castles and any other sand structures built on the beach.