IndiaDivine.org
Sign in to follow this  
Whitelotus019

American cheese Rennet/Enzymes

Rate this topic

:ponder:

I have read and heard that most American cheese contains rennet and enzymes which comes from the stomach tissue of cows and other animals for taste. Most devotees I know still eat pizza and other foods containing cheese with these rennet and enzymes. Isn't it a sin to eat those cheese if you are on the path to Krsna consciousness because it contains bits of cow tissue? Or is it ok? Can someone please comment on this issue?

Hari bole!

Haribol, Hare Krishna,

I too am weary of cheese, and always look at the packet to see if its suitable for vegetarians. I think its really better to just eat cheese in the paneer form,

cooking it with lovely vegetables.

You could buy Vegetarian cheese... the Rennet in vegetarian cheese does not come from a calf's stomach but from either fungal or bacterial sources and then it is genetically engineered so that rennet can be produced on a large scale...i learnt this in A level Microbiology...

Or read the below paragraph...

VEGETABLE RENNET

Vegetable rennet is derived from plants. The enzymes are extracted from the plants and modified into a form similar to that of animal rennet. This type of rennet is acceptable for a lactovegetarian.

MICROBIAL RENNET

This is a common enzyme made from microorganisms through a process of fermentation. Common microorganisms include fungi and bacteria. This type of rennet is also acceptable for a lactovegetarian.

ENZYMES

Additional enzymes may be added during the cheese making process. Unless otherwise noted these are microbial.

Jay Shree Krishna