IndiaDivine.org
Sign in to follow this  
krsna

Sri Jagannatha Puri Temple Ponders (centuries-old tradition)Temple Entrance Policy

Rate this topic

BHUBANESWAR, INDIA, November 25, 2005: Will January 2006 bring cheer to the Hindus, Buddhists and Jains of foreign origin by opening the doors of Shri Jagannath Temple along with several other Hindu places of worship, which have so far been out of bounds for them? Well, it just might.

For, all those who have a say in the matter are set to assemble at Muktimandap of Shri Jagannath Temple and take a decision on the centuries-old tradition. As a heated debate rages whether to or not to allow Hindus, Buddhists and Jains of foreign origin into the Hindu temples, most particularly the 12th Century Shri Jagannath Temple, Puri Shankaracharya Nischalananda Saraswati is expected to convene a meeting with the Gajapati Maharaja of Puri, Sevayats (servitors), temple administration and the Government representatives to discuss the issue by December-end.

Sources close to Shankaracharya, who is on a religious trip outside the State, said, he is aware of the development and is keen to sort it out in consultation with the stake-holders. “He will return to Puri by the last week of December and would initiate the discussions immediately,'’ sources said emphatically. The move of the Shankaracharya assumes significance as he heads Muktimandap, which is the apex decision-making body of the temple and whose verdict is also accepted by other Hindu temples and places of worship. Even Hindu organizations like Vishwa Hindu Parishad have called for relaxation of the tradition and allowing Hindus, Buddhists and Jains of non-Indian origin to enter the Jagannath Temple.

Guest guest

Jai Lord Jagganathji lets hope and pray this be the truth

glories to Sri Sri Caitanya Nityanada Prabhus.

Guest guest

Guest (4): Your Grace, how is it that the devotees who run the great temple of Jagannatha refuse to allow foreigners and certain low-caste people, when this was the favorite place of Lord Caitanya, who, like you say, advocated that it should be taught in every town and village?

Prabhupada: Jagannatha Puri?

Guest (4): Are these administrators fallen?

Pushta Krishna: He's asking why can't your disciples from the West in particular, who are low-class particular people, like the Mohammedans, as traditional, they are not allowed in the Jagannatha Puri temple.

Prabhupada: That is their fault. They should not have done so. That is their, what is called? Sectarian prejudice.

Guest (4): Was that the policy when Bhaktivinoda Thakura ran the temple? I understand that he at one time was the main administrator. (loud crashing of thunder)

Prabhupada: So you don't take simply Jagannatha temple. There are many other temples, they allow. It is a particular management body, they do not allow. But that is not the sanction of the sastra. That is not the sanction. Suppose in your private house you make some private law. That is your business. But actually temple is open for everyone. That is stated. Mam hi partha vyapasritya ye 'pi syuh papa-yonayah [bg. 9.32]. Even one is born of low-grade family, he can accept. There is no injunction. That is sastra. But there are rascals who do not follow. They have their own imagination. That is another thing. Krishna never said that "Only the brahmanas or Indians or Hindus can take shelter of Me." Krishna never said. Mam hi partha vyapasritya ye 'pi syuh, whatever he may be. There is no restriction. Just like Ganges water, anyone can take bath. It is not that only a particular person or particular community can take bath. Anyone can take, and he becomes purified. There is an example, na hi harate jyotsna candras candala vesmani.(?) When there is moonlight, there is no discrimination that here is a bhangi's house, candala's house, there should be no moonshine. The moonshine is open in the palace of the king or in the house of a candala, na hi harate jyotsna candras candala vesmani. So Krishna's mercy is for everyone. It is not restricted to a certain community or class of people, no. Anyone can take advantage of Krishna consciousness. And that is, practically they are doing.

Look, if I'm not wanted in a place then I don't go there. If a meat eating Indian walks into the temple they allow it just fine. But if Haridas Thakur tries to go in he is forbidden. It doesn't really matter if I can't get into Jagannatha Puri. I can just go to my local temple and see the deities.