IndiaDivine.org
Sign in to follow this  
krsna

Hindu leaders in Britain oppose controversial stamp

Rate this topic

Great Britain, added: 2 Nov 2005

Hindu leaders in Britain on Tuesday demanded withdrawal of a Christmas stamp featuring the picture of a man and a woman with Hindu markings worshipping infant Christ.

The stamp, issued by Britain's Royal Mail Service, shows a man having a 'tilak' on his forehead, clearly identifying him as a Vaishnava Hindu, and the woman having a traditional 'kumkum' mark on her forehead identifying her as a married Hindu lady. The couple is shown worshipping infant Christ

The Hindu Forum of Britain, in a statement, demanded withdrawal of the stamp saying it was insensitive as it clearly shows a Hindu couple worshipping Christ.

The image is one of a series of six mother and child stamps that go on sale on Tuesday.

"The stamp in question is priced at 68 pence, which is usually the price of stamps on letters sent to India," Ramesh Kallidai, Secretary general of the Forum.

The stamp depicting the Hindu couple was a print of a 17th century picture that hangs in an art gallery in Mumbai.

It is an Indianised version of a European print of The Holy Family with St Anne and the two angels, according to the city art gallery.

Guest guest

that claim to protect hinduism have no problems with living in a country that slaughters thousands of cows for food?

Grow up indeed!

Guest guest

... on now. Tilak on their foreheads, japa mala in their hands and chanting the mahamantra. These are no ordinary people!

Guest guest

that claim to protect hinduism have no problems with living in a country that slaughters thousands of cows for food?

Grow up indeed!

and where does this fool who posted the above message live ?

Guest guest

Grow up you whining whankers.

What does praying to jesus has got to do with Vaishnavism ?

Frankly western countries have always been involved in either putting Rama's image in shoes, or Ganapatis's image in toilets or portraying Vaishnavas or Hindus in demeaning manner or misleading manner as is this case.

What do you do ? One must act to right the wrong.

As for slaughtering cows atleast Hindus bann such things in some states like Gujarat. Hindus in Britain have no wish to enforce Britishers to do such things, but do spread vegetarianism.

Guest guest

Is this how ISKCONites treat Indians ?

This whole thread is insulting Hindus ?

I think I should leave ISKCON for good from now.

Nobody is insulting, and why would you leave? You don't have your own brain or something. Your going to listen to somebody on a thread? Come on now...

I think the thread is about a Hindu, who has different views to some others, he maybe a devotee or may not be? Just because somebody has a view about something, doesn't mean we should call them names or anything, so I was bit shocked at one of the comments, am I perfect?

What does praying to jesus has got to do with Vaishnavism ?

I am so tired of this small infantile mind set I won't bother answering. But I will ask a rhetorical questrion in return.

What does being a poly-theistic hindoo have to do with Vaisnavism?

Guest guest

am so tired of this small infantile mind set I won't bother answering. But I will ask a rhetorical questrion in return.

What does being a poly-theistic hindoo have to do with Vaisnavism?

Lord Visnu and HIS avataras as Krishna etc. has everything to do with Hinduism.

On the other hand Vaishnavism and j* hasve nothing in common. Only the western converts keep jumping on this j* guy.

The stamp is a traditional way of showing honor.

Why don't you ask this to Sri-Vaishnavas, Tattvavadis who are Vaishnavas from India. They view this as an insult and nonsense, not as a sign of respect.

Anyway what does j* have to do with Vaishnavism ?

The answer is nothing. Nowhere in Vedas or Puranas is this dead guy mentioned. Then why do these western people keep jumping on this j* ?

Don't you guys think that it is against Sastra to pray to beings not mentioned in Vedas ?

Guest guest

Nobody is insulting, and why would you leave? You don't have your own brain or something. Your going to listen to somebody on a thread? Come on now...

It is always better to avoid company of people like you who insult based on race and have no good manners in addressing people. Coming from the community of Hindus I have no interest in hearing anymore insults from bunch of mlechchhas.

By the way. I don't hold on to many of the views by others here.. I see sometimes, posts which talk against Muslims or Hindu's, or even Christians, but depending on what 'part' you belong to that insult is most unbearable to you.

If people believe in Jesus more that's find for me. Or Mohammed or Prabhupada, but when they mix it all up, [along with thier own speculation] then it get's ugly as you can see on this thread. Haribol!

Is this how ISKCONites treat Indians ?

This whole thread is insulting Hindus ?

I think I should leave ISKCON for good from now.

You should know that I am not a member of ISKCON.

Rather you leave them or join them makes no difference to me but the only one you should hold responsible for my words is me.

That includes this site. Many different views pass over these pages and they don't all represent JNdas's views. This is a forum where people have an oppurtunity to present their own views.