IndiaDivine.org
Sign in to follow this  
Guest guest

Weird dreams after getting into chanting

Rate this topic

Guest guest

I've been chanting for the last month or so, thinking about Krishna and reading and hearing his pastimes and so on. But when I sleep, whether during day or night, I get weird dreams nothing to do with krishna.

They are worldly and totally ridiculous, and I am astonished I am even able to think or dream such things. I thought the mind would becme calm by chanting/hearing but these dreams persist every night. Do I take it as a kind of a release and move on? or, am I doing something wrong which is why I am getting these dreams to begin with?

there is a saying in India - i don't know it in Hindi - but the basic gist of it is that when you light a diva (candle with ghee) the surrounding parts around the flame get blackened and sooted, though the flame itself is pure. Same as churning of the ocean in the bhagvatam - before the devas could get the nectar of immortality, the churning yeilded horrible poisons, which Shiva drank.

It's funny that you should post this actually - i remember when i got more interested in spirituality also - i had dreams that would make me wake up in a sweat - disturbing visions and thoughts that didn't let me sleep, some that made me feel very guilty since it was my own mind generating them. But it eventually passed. I wouldn't give it too much thought if i was you - carry on doing what you're doing because you're on the right path. Even if you carry on having these dreams for the rest of your days, would you give up the Name and Form and Pastimes of the Lord? I don't think many would!

Hope all goes well for you.

G.

Guest guest

I understand we shouldn't pay much attention, it is yet confusing as to why it happens. At least if I am convinced that these dreams are a "Catharsis" and that things will get better, I can be glad that I am doing something right. Or, I should try to find out what went wrong during the previous month, so I could change for the better.

Also, want to know if most people go through this in the initial stages of practice.