IndiaDivine.org
Sign in to follow this  
Guest guest

I am going to become a sanyasin

Rate this topic

Guest guest

What does it entail? What do I need to do and whom do I need to contact? This is a serious question and I need serious answers. It seems as if Krishna wants me to be a sanyasin.

It seems as if Krishna wants me to be a sanyasin.

Yes. Krsna wants everyone to renounce this world as a field of "enjoyment" and enter into His inner circle of spiritual pleasure.

By inner circle I just mean the internal energy.

If I felt called to accept formal sannyasa (which would be joke for me) I would look towards a known sannyasi whom I respected to guide me.

Guest guest

Maybe consider it was Our Srila Prabhupada that accepted divine instruction internally from his Guru Maharaja to take sannyasa..similarily it would be an internal instruction from Srila Prabhupada to do the same if that is his instruction to you as his aspiring disciple.

No one can point to you and say I think its time you took sannyasa...but of course if Srila Prabhupada confirmed this ashram for you...well step boldly with all the humility compassion and grace you can muster.

It is a very serious inquiry one not to be taken lightly as we have witnessed with premeture acceptance of said ashram by unqualified candidates.

If you wish to know more about what to do and qualifications We suggest you read Srila Prabhupada's books as well Bhaktisiddhanta ,Bhaktivinode ect.on the subject.

There is a world of divine realizations to be had even before the consideration of Sanyasa ashram.

We beg to remain ever felicitate in the dust of the feet of genuine Vaisnavas.

Guest guest

I am in this disgusting world, there's no hope for me. I'll become one of them, greedy, lustful, selfish and worse. I don't want that. Not that I am pure, but to become pure and perfect, isn't sanyas the only way? Every scripture talks of renunciation, accoprding to ashrama rules, shouldn't one renounce as soon as one develops disgust for the world? Thats what i am thinking about.

I dont want more knowledge from books but actual realization. But i dont want to make hasty decisions. I want to know from experienced people whether vairagya alone qualifies a person to renounce.

Guest guest

You don't become pure by just putting on orange robes and becoming a sayasin.

The sacrifice is internal as much as it is external, if not more so. Sacrifice your body and soul and mind in Devotion to Krsna.

With the above post.

Renounciate the concept of being the owner of anything and replace that with the understanding that Krsna is the true owner. Use it all in His service just like a bank teller knows that all the money that crosses their hands belong to someone else.

Renounciation is the point not the dress and formalities. Afterall the sannyasin must also renounce the conception of himself as a sannyasin.

TRANSLATION SB 3.24.34

Today I have something to ask from You, who are the Lord of all living entities. Since I have now been liberated by You from my debts to my father, and since all my desires are fulfilled, I wish to accept the order of an itinerant mendicant. Renouncing this family life, I wish to wander about, free from lamentation, thinking always of You in my heart.

PURPORT

Actually, sannyäsa, or renunciation of material household life, necessitates complete absorption in Krsna consciousness and immersion in the self. One does not take sannyäsa, freedom from family responsibility in the renounced order of life, to make another family or to create an embarrassing transcendental fraud in the name of sannyäsa. The sannyäsi's business is not to become proprietor of so many things and amass money from the innocent public. A sannyäsé is proud that he is always thinking of Krsna within himself. Of course, there are two kinds of devotees of the Lord. One is called goñöhy-änandé, which means those who are preachers and have many followers for preaching the glories of the Lord and who live among those many, many followers just to organize missionary activities. Other devotees are ätmänandé, or self-satisfied, and do not take the risk of preaching work. They remain, therefore, alone with God. In this classification was Kardama Muni. He wanted to be free from all anxieties and remain alone within his heart with the Supreme Personality of Godhead. Parivräja means "an itinerant mendicant." A mendicant sannyäsé should not live anywhere for more than three days. He must be always moving because his duty is to move from door to door and enlighten people about Krsna consciousness.

------------

It is wonderful that you want to renounce this world of illusion. But at the same time be cautious about following impulses. Sometimes people take that order without the proper motive or strength and this comes to light later.

Th example of Kardama Muni is there. He first asked the Supreme Lord while expressing his desires. We can do exactly the same thing through prayer. Not directed to some distant Lord Who may or may not be listening but to the Supreme Lord in the heart who knows even our most intimate secrets we think we may have safely tucked away in subtle places.

Seek His counsel ferverently.

Guest guest

I know sacrifice is internal. But after sacrificing internally, you still have to live in this gutter world, meeting nasty, vulgar people. And that's only gonna bring you down. By giving up the world, at least you can avoid these inferior people and focus exclusively on Krishna.

Where do you live? India or the west somewhere. The west is not set up with a surrounding culture that respects the dress and life of a formal sannyasin. That may work for someone who remains in a insulated organization like Iskcon or some other but otherwise it may increase you difficulties with the surroundering culture intead of helping you separate yourself. I imagine India would be different in many ways.

I live in th USA and like you don't want to be a part this society. Unfortunately I don't have a strong taste for spiritual practice so I get lonely and bored sometimes, but I still prefer that to the alternatives that society offers me.

Basic advice still stands. Pray to the Lord for direction. Seek guidance from someone who is experienced and steady already in that order. If it was me I would avoid all institutional programs.

Hare Krsna

Guest guest

I live in the west and i along with 3 others will be becoming a sanyasi as well. Going to India in June and getting my maha diksha. i live in the UK.

Jay Swaminarayan

Guest guest

You say: "you still have to live in this gutter world, meeting nasty, vulgar people. And that's only gonna bring you down. By giving up the world, at least you can avoid these inferior people and focus exclusively on Krishna."

Krishna says in the Gita that a sage or pandita sees all equally. Are you certain that we should put ourselves on a pedestal because we've had some good fortune? Just wondering. Thanks.

Guest guest

your question has a very simple solution... to be a sannyasi you have to get harinama initiation from a bona fide guru

in gaudya vaishnava sampradaya bona fide means that the guru is an eternal companion of sri krsna bhagavan, eternally conscious of such relationship

then after first initiation you have to get the brahminic inititation

then sannyasa initiation

so.... any plan that you can do and we can do chatting in the forum has to be surrendered to the lotus feet of your gurudeva

pray sri krsna to send you a pure devote to guide you in the path to pure devotion and sense control (go-swami) and do the needful under his guidance

the sannyasi is a master... the first thing that a master has to do is to learn to be a disciple

Sannyasa comes from the words sat-nyasa, which literally means "to touch the divine". Don't think of sannyasa as an external initiation or dress. When Krishna speaks of sannyasa and karma sannyasa in the Gita He is not advising Arjuna to take an external initiation on the battlefield of Kurukshetra. Rather He is instructing Arjuna to come in contact with the divine through devotion, meditation, and sacrificing of His actions for God. You can start the path of sannyasa right now in your own home. Start by trying to touch God. This can be done very simply through the process of devotional service; hear the narrations of Krishna's instructions and His pastimes from Bhagavatam, chant the names and mantras of the Lord to purify your consciousness, focus your mind on the form of the Lord in your meditations, etc. The process of devotional service to the Lord is a very deep subject, but it will bring you in complete contact with the Lord, the highest form of sannyasa. Don't be fooled by an external ritual. Real sannyasa only comes when you are actually trying to link your self to Krishna through devotional service. This is the essential message of Bhagavad Gita. I would suggest you take time out to thoroughly study the Gita and try to apply the teachings in your daily life by taking up a spiritual sadhana to link yourself with the Lord.

The Bhagavad Gita can be read online here along with thorough explanations by our guru A.C. Bhaktivedanta Swami Prabhupada:

http://www.bhagavad-gita.us

Guest guest

I don't recall putting myself on a pedestal. But it is a fact that most people where i live (in India) are barbaric. And it is also a fact that if one lives in a place surrounded by barbarians, it's only a matter of time before one becomes barbaric as well.

So where is the question of my judging others? I am simply stating my concerns without trying to be politcally correct. I am afraid of barbarians and the effect they might have on my spiritual progress. It is a legitimate concern, isn't it?

Krishna gives the definition of Sannyasi in Bhagavad-Gita as:

[ Anaashrita Karma Phalam, Kaaryam Karma Karoti Yah

Sa Sannyaasi Sa Yogi Cha, Na Niragnir Na Cha Akriyah

"The Blessed Lord said: One who is unattached to the fruits of his work and who works as he is obligated is in the renounced order of life, and he is the true mystic: not he who lights no fire and performs no work." - BG 6.1 - http://www.asitis.com/6/1.html ]

Hare Krishna!

Guest guest

that sanyasa refers to inner sacrifice or tyaga. However, you still have to live in this rotten world, which means every time you try to 'sacrifice' internally, the harsh realities out there, especially the insensitive people, make it that much harder. How is it possible to live in a barbaric world, and yet follow the principle of tyaga as prescribed by the gita?

It is not possible in these dark ages, so I wondered whether outward renunciation was imperative. In those days, it must've been easy, that's why Arjuna was advised accordingly. Even amongst kauravas, we see honorable men, so in those times, people in general must've been good.

t is not possible in these dark ages, so I wondered whether outward renunciation was imperative. In those days, it must've been easy, that's why Arjuna was advised accordingly. Even amongst kauravas, we see honorable men, so in those times, people in general must've been good.

Krishna message in Bhagavad-Gita is eternally relevant. It is not that it was valid during Arjuna's time and not now. It depends on the person who is trying to follow Krishna's instructions - how sincere s/he is, which really matters. Otherwise the instructions are eternally valid and transcendental!

[ Sa Evaayam Mayaa Te Adya Yogah Proktah Puraatanah

Bhakto'si Me Sakhaa Cheti Rahasyam Hy Etad Uttamam

"That very ancient science of the relationship with the Supreme is today told by Me to you because you are My devotee as well as My friend; therefore you can understand the transcendental mystery of this science."

- BG 4.3 - http://www.asitis.com/4/3.html ]

Guest guest

Sanyaasin-to-be-Guest, why so worried about this "rotten" world with "bararic" people??

To get to the stage the posters here are speaking of, we are talking about a pure devotee. Take Prahlad - surrounded by demons, born of demon blood, yet he remained pure. Like sugar doesn't dissolve in water, He remained sweet.

So if you are under the protection of Krsna and REALLY BELIEVE IT, then what's to worry about? How can a pure soul be contaminated in the way you are fearing? Was Srila Prabhpada brought down? No. Nothing can touch you if you are pure devotee - someone who has sacrificed mind body heart and soul to the Lord in Love.

And as a man of the cloth and a human being it is your Dharma to act in this world, preach and love. So where is there space of fear of this kind of thing?

G

Srila Prabhupada has this one disciple, Jayananda Prabhu, who left his body in the early 70's. I was fortunate to meet he a few times and many worked with him for years. Otherwise it is rather hard to describe what a wonderful soul he is.

I was told that his Godbrothers were often trying to get him to take sannyasa. He refused. Taking sannyasa formally would have measnt that he would have been treated differently, always being bowed down to etc. and he didn't want that. He was just so satisifed in doing his work for Krsna already hat he remain brahmacari. No one thought of Jayananda in terms of ashrama anyway. You just naturally say him transcendental to any sort of designation. He was a person that belonged to Prabhupada and Krsna.

It has been a while and I probably screwed that memory up somewhere so corrections requested.

Guest guest

We recall that His divine Grace Srila Prabhupada came to the true land of barbarianism here in the west.

The association did not make him a barbarian as you suggest being the destiny of that barbaric association, on the contrary it is his intention to turn a bunch of barbarians into gentle men of the Vaisnava order...

The Vaisnava has compassion for the suffering of humanity...whether gentleman or barbarian.

As well the world is only as rotten as is made by oneself...we make our beds and lay down there in them.

This Mother earth planet in her wisdom provides haven for sincerely seeking souls the means and life of renunciation by providing everything necessary to exist and perform sacrifice or tapasya to the Supreme Personality of Godhead.

The demi gods are anxiously awaiting the opportunity to come here.

This is not judgement rather reflection of our shortcomings, the kingdom of the lord exists with in us as well without us.

Let every person get the mercy here in this world right now, this world is what ya make it Prabhu's....Vaikuntha or Hell... Its a conscious choice ...chant and be happy ...

Hare Krsna Hare Rama, Jai Caitanya Nityananda...

we beg to remain ever felicitate if the dust of the feet of the Vaisnavas.

Repulsion to the material circumstances that we have to deal with day to day will naturally arise. I find myself in the awkward position of being repulsed by the very things I am also attracted to. Yes, this is madness. But it also has some protective value.

Ever walk by a resteraunt and look in and see all these people "dining" on these dead animal carcases and with such a smug air of phony sophistication on their faces. That vision is disgusting.

But it's just a phase. Eventually we will look into such a room and our attention will be drawn to seeing everyone as spiritsoul and the Supersoul there present in the heart of all.

We can't fake it though but nor should we get stuck on the platform of endlessly being repulsed by the "karmis".

Sometimes I meet people who have been chanting faithfully for decades and they are still curling their lips as the rail on about "stupid fools around them".

We shouldn't spend too much time on the repulsed platform. It really is another form of attachment and at some point usually manifests as it's opposite(attraction) and we find doing the same things today that we prosed to hate so much yesterday.