IndiaDivine.org
Sign in to follow this  
Guest guest

[Keanu Reeves] Whoa ! [/Keanu Reeves]

Rate this topic

Yes for sure. That is the first thing that came to mind and I expected Gaurachandra to have posted on this by now.

Pretty timely, only a few days late. Maybe the threads should be linked. hehe

Assuming thats the temple room, I honestly can't think of any reason one would perform that move. Maybe if there are two thugs on either side trying to disrupt kirtan, then "Heeee Yaahh" and you kick one with your left foot and one with your right foot. But beyond that its just strange. Now for myself, I don't like it. But what bothers me more is someone new to Krishna Consciousness, either a Westerner or say an Indian visiting the temple, when they see this kind of activity what goes through their minds? Myself, I can dismiss it as juvenile. Others visiting might think its common practice and weird.

Guest guest

I was in keerthan with that guy last month. His dancing was actually very nice. The temple room is HUGE and there was no disturbance. Everone was dancing together and having a great time. His dancing and smile seemed to enliven everyone. There was no problem. /images/graemlins/smile.gif

Guest guest

Can't even imagine Mahaprabhus' moves in kirtan, after two or three day festivals this holy Name does some strange things to the jivas. Some like to stand still watching others can't help but move or be moved.If they want to break dance for the Lord let 'em express their spirit, Krsna may get a kick out of it. Personally I feel it is better than no dancing. Let the jumps get higher.

Guest guest

Can't even imagine Mahaprabhus' moves in kirtan

yeah can you imagine /images/graemlins/blush.gif

kAhA mora bhaTTa-juga kAhA kavirAj

eka-kAle kothA gelA gorA naTa-rAj

No we can't imagine Mahaprabhu's dancing or mood nor should we try to imitate.

TRANSLATION CC Adi-lila

“I firmly believe in these words of My spiritual master, and therefore I always chant the holy name of the Lord, alone and in the association of devotees. That holy name of Lord Krishna sometimes causes Me to chant and dance, and therefore I chant and dance. Please do not think that I intentionally do it. I do it automatically.

PURPORT

A person who cannot keep his faith in the words of his spiritual master but acts independently never receives the authority to chant the holy name of the Lord. It is said in the Vedas (Svetasvatara Up. 6.23):

yasya deve para bhaktir yatha deve tatha gurau

tasyaite kathita hy arthah prakasante mahatmanah

[sU 6.23]

“Only unto those great souls who have implicit faith in both the Lord and the spiritual master are all the imports of Vedic knowledge automatically revealed.” This Vedic injunction is very important, and Sri Caitanya Mahaprabhu supported it by His personal behavior. Believing in the words of His spiritual master, He introduced the sankirtana movement, just as the present Krishna consciousness movement was started with belief in the words of our spiritual master. He wanted to preach, we believed in his words and tried somehow or other to fulfill them, and now this movement has become successful all over the world. Therefore faith in the words of the spiritual master and in the Supreme Personality of Godhead is the secret of success. Sri Caitanya Mahaprabhu never disobeyed the orders of His spiritual master and stopped propagating the sankirtana movement. Sri Bhaktisiddhanta Sarasvati Gosvami, at the time of his passing away, ordered all his disciples to work conjointly to preach the mission of Caitanya Mahaprabhu all over the world. Later, however, some self-interested, foolish disciples disobeyed his orders. Each one of them wanted to become head of the mission, and they fought in the courts, neglecting the order of the spiritual master, and the entire mission was defeated. We are not proud of this; however, the truth must be explained. We believed in the words of our spiritual master and started in a humble way—in a helpless way—but due to the spiritual force of the order of the supreme authority, this movement has become successful.

It is to be understood that when Sri Caitanya Mahaprabhu chanted and danced, He did so by the influence of the pleasure potency of the spiritual world. Sri Caitanya Mahaprabhu never considered the holy name of the Lord to be a material vibration, nor does any pure devotee mistake the chanting of the Hare Krishna mantra to be a material musical manifestation. Lord Caitanya never tried to be the master of the holy name; rather He taught us how to be servants of the holy name. If one chants the holy name of the Lord just to make a show, not knowing the secret of success, he may increase his bile secretion, but he will never attain perfection in chanting the holy name. Sri Caitanya Mahaprabhu presented himself in this way: “I am a great fool and do not have knowledge of right and wrong. In order to understand the real meaning of the Vedanta-sutra, I never followed the explanation of the Sankara-sampradaya or Mayavadi sannyasis. I’m very much afraid of the illogical arguments of the Mayavadi philosophers. Therefore I think I have no authority regarding their explanations of the Vedanta-sutra. I firmly believe that simply chanting the holy name of the Lord can remove all misconceptions of the material world. I believe that simply by chanting the holy name of the Lord one can attain the shelter of the lotus feet of the Lord. In this age of quarrel and disagreement, the chanting of the holy names is the only way to liberation from the material clutches.

“By chanting the holy name,” Lord Caitanya continued, “I became almost mad. However, after inquiring from My spiritual master I have come to the conclusion that instead of striving for achievement in the four principles of religiosity [dharma], economic development [artha], sense gratification [kama] and liberation [moksha], it is better if somehow or other one develops transcendental love of Godhead. That is the greatest success in life. One who has attained love of Godhead chants and dances by his nature, not caring for the public.” This stage of life is known as bhagavata-jivana, or the life of a devotee.

Sri Caitanya Mahaprabhu continued, “I never chanted and danced to make an artificial show. I dance and chant because I firmly believe in the words of My spiritual master. Although the Mayavadi philosophers do not like this chanting and dancing, I nevertheless perform it on the strength of his words. Therefore it is to be concluded that I deserve very little credit for these activities of chanting and dancing, for they are being done automatically by the grace of the Supreme Personality of Godhead.”

Guest guest

Don't mind me but although we cannot replicate His mood, we are supposed to imitate His dancing, since Lord Caitanya is the spiritual master of everyone, and He teach us to chant and dance for Krishna in sankirtan

I don't mind. Perhaps we are using the word imitate differently. Should we imitate Mahaprabhu's rubbing His face against the walls of His room out of transcendental madness also without the mood?

I believe the doors to whatever measure of these moods we can embody are open to us for real. There is no need to falsely imitate anything as the genuine article is available.

When Lord Caitanya danced He danced out of authentic transcendental love for Krishna. So to imitate His dancing I would think would include His inspiratio for His dancing. How would you separate the two?.

Guest guest

>>> When Lord Caitanya danced He danced out of authentic transcendental love for Krishna. So to imitate His dancing I would think would include His inspiratio for His dancing. How would you separate the two?.

--- Yes, but if we sing and dance only in proportion to our divine Ecstasy, most of us like me will be swaying inperceptibly, and the kirtan will sound more like a dirge. /images/graemlins/laugh.gif

Guest guest

>>> When Lord Caitanya danced He danced out of authentic transcendental love for Krishna. So to imitate His dancing I would think would include His inspiratio for His dancing. How would you separate the two?.

--- Yes, but if we sing and dance only in proportion to our divine Ecstasy, most of us like me will be swaying imperceptibly, and the kirtan will sound more like a dirge. /images/graemlins/laugh.gif

Guest guest

so everyone in kirtan at your temple is swimming in transcendental ecstasy every time- amazing /images/graemlins/wink.gif