IndiaDivine.org
Sign in to follow this  
Guest guest

....equals 1 name of Krsna

Rate this topic

Guest guest

one thousand names of Visnu are equal to one name of Rama, and three names of Lord Rama are equal to one name of Krsna.

Where is this stated? Please help.

Guest guest

i dont think tahts stated anywher. Wher did u find such a thing? Lord is one. Call him as you please. But with love.

According to this thread:<blockquote>Vedic references quoted in the Sri Caitanya-caritamrta Madhya 9.32-33:<blockquote><center>rAma rAmeti rAmeti

rame rAme manorame

sahasra-nAmabhis tulyaM

rAma-nAma varAnane

</center>

rAma--RAma; rAma--RAma; iti--thus; rAma--RAma; iti--thus; rame--I enjoy; rAme--in the holy name of RAma; manaH-rame--most beautiful; sahasra-nAmabhiH--with the one thousand names; tulyam--equal; rAma-nAma--the holy name of RAma; vara-Anane--O lovely-faced woman.

"[Lord Siva addressed his wife, DurgA:] ‘O VarAnanA, ‘I chant the holy name of RAma, RAma, RAma and thus enjoy this beautiful sound. This holy name of RAmacandra is equal to one thousand holy names of Lord ViSNu.'

PURPORT

This is a verse from the BRhad-viSNu-sahasranAma-stotra in the Uttara-khaNDa of the Padma PurANa (72.335).

<center>

sahasra-nAmnAM puNyAnAM

trir-AvRttyA tu yat phalam

ekAvRttyA tu kRSNasya

nAmaikaM tat prayacchati

</center>

sahasra-nAmnAm--of one thousand names; puNyAnAm--holy; triH-AvRttyA--by thrice chanting; tu--but; yat--which; phalam--result; eka-AvRttyA--by one repetition; tu--but; kRSNasya--of Lord KRSNa; nAma--holy name; ekam--only one; tat--that result; prayacchati--gives.

"‘The pious results derived from chanting the thousand holy names of ViSNu three times can be attained by only one utterance of the holy name of KRSNa.'

PURPORT

This verse from the BrahmANDa PurANa is found in the Laghu-bhAgavatAmRta (1.5.354), by RUpa GosvAmI. Simply by chanting the name of KRSNa once, one can attain the same results achieved by chanting the holy name of RAma three times.</blockquote></blockquote>

According to another thread:<blockquote>If a person utters the name Rama only once, he gets the result of chanting one thousand names of Visnu. And if somebody once chants the name Krishna, he achieves the results obtained by chanting the name Rama three times. In other words, uttering the name Krishna once is equal to uttering three thousand other names of Visnu. (Mukunda-mala-stotra 2)</blockquote>

However, the writer may have made an error in the reference since when I search via for the Mukunda-mala-stotra, no verses seem to match the quoted one.

Chanting with love makes a difference, but the principal efficacy of any mantra comes from the incarnate guru's blessing on the words of the mantra - so the chanting of a particular holy name becomes a thousand or more times more powerful than chanting another holy name because of the guru's power alone.

But the numbers can change, depending on which gurus are incarnate in this world at any particular time. Whatever mantra a fully enlightened guru* gives the devotee at any time becomes the most powerful and effective mantra.

I only mention this because scriptures are records of teachings from various gurus at different periods of history, and it really depends on the wisdom and power of a guru living today to point out which aspects of those scriptures are applicable or not applicable for today.

*This guru is usually incarnate in the life of the devotee, but may also be communicated with through inner vision. The important thing is, there has to be some direct contact and transfer of power between the guru and devotee - beyond just reading a guru's teaching from scriptures.

<blockquote>*This guru is usually incarnate in the life of the devotee, but may also be communicated with through inner vision. </blockquote>

Even I find this notion of special interest.

Premasagar, if you can, please tell us more about this method of communication with guru.

gHari

1) Only the gaudiyas and some other minor sects accept Puranas as authoritative.

2) Lord Shiva's response should be read in context to Parvathy's query

paarvaty uvaacha

kenopaayena laghunaa vishhNor naama sahasrakam

paThyate panDitair nityam shrotum-ichchhaam-yaham prabho

Parvati said : Pray spell out the easy method by which the thousand names of Lord Vishnu could be deemed to have

been recited by learned persons daily. I wish to be enlightened by you My Lord.

ishvara uvaacha

shriiraama raama raameti rame raame manorame

sahasra naama tattulyam raamanaama varaanane

Isvara said : Here you are, Sri Rama's name, being the delightful source of mental exhilaration, I take

great delight in reciting it repeatedly, any length of time. Rama's name is indeed on par with the

thousand names of Lord Vishnu spelt out in this Hymnal, O my blessed lady.

Hari Om Tat Sat

I'm new here, so I don't know much about who Theist is.

If you're asking about the practical method by which a devotee communicates with a guru through inner vision, then that really depends on the particular guru and also the guru's particular relationship to the individual devotee.

I suppose you've heard about this kind of thing before, but there are cases where the fully enlightened guru gives the devotee various degrees of spiritual initiation or other teachings or blessings by appearing during meditation or through various other non-physical means.

Actually, I wasn't clear on what exactly your question meant, but perhaps I've answered it already.