Came across this.

SB.5-11-17

TEXT 17

bhratrivyam enam tad adabhra-viryam

upekshayadhyedhitam apramattah

guror hares caranopasanastro

jahi vyalikam svayam atma-mosham

SYNONYMS

bhratrivyam—the formidable enemy; enam—this mind; tat—that; adabhra-viryam—very, very powerful; upekshaya—by neglecting; adhyedhitam—unnecessarily increased in power; apramattah—one who is without illusion; guroh—of the spiritual master; hareh—of the Supreme Personality of Godhead; carana—of the lotus feet; upasana-astrah—applying the weapon of worshiping; jahi—conquer; vyalikam—false; svayam—personally; atma-mosham—which covers the constitutional position of the living entity.

TRANSLATION

This uncontrolled mind is the greatest enemy of the living entity. If one neglects it or gives it a chance, it will grow more and more powerful and will become victorious. Although it is not factual, it is very strong. It covers the constitutional position of the soul. O King, please try to conquer this mind by the weapon of service to the lotus feet of the spiritual master and of the Supreme Personality of Godhead. Do this with great care.

PURPORT

There is one easy weapon with which the mind can be conquered—neglect. The mind is always telling us to do this or that; therefore we should be very expert in disobeying the mind’s orders. Gradually the mind should be trained to obey the orders of the soul. It is not that one should obey the orders of the mind. Srila Bhaktisiddhanta Sarasvati Thakura used to say that to control the mind one should beat it with shoes many times just after awakening and again before going to sleep. In this way one can control the mind. This is the instruction of all the sastras. If one does not do so, one is doomed to follow the dictations of the mind. Another bona fide process is to abide strictly by the orders of the spiritual master and engage in the Lord’s service. Then the mind will be automatically controlled. Sri Caitanya Mahaprabhu has instructed Srila Rupa Gosvami:

brahmanda bhramite kona bhagyavan jiva

guru-krishna-prasade paya bhakti-lata-bija

When one receives the seed of devotional service by the mercy of the guru and Krishna, the Supreme Personality of Godhead, one’s real life begins. If one abides by the orders of the spiritual master, by the grace of Krishna he is freed from service to the mind.

Srila Narottama dasa Thakura's

Sri Prema-bhakti-candrika

(The Moonlight of Loving Devotion)

Introduction

1 om ajnana-timirandhasya

jnananjana-salakaya

caksur unmilitam yena

tasmai sri-gurava namah

I was born in the darkest of ignorance, and my spiritual master opened my eyes with the torch of knowledge. I offer my respectful obeisances unto him.*

2 sri-caitanya-mano bhistam

sthapitam yena bhutale

svayam rupah kada mahyam

dadati sva-padantikam

When will Srila Rupa Gosvami Prabhupada, who has established within this material world the mission to fulfil the desire of Lord Caitanya, give me shelter under his lotus feet.*

3 akhila-rasamrta-murtih

prasrmara-ruci-ruddha-taraka-palih

kalita-syama-lalito

radha-preyan vidhur jayati

Let Krsna, the Supreme Personality of Godhead, be glorified! By virtue of His expanding attractive features, He subjugated the gopis named Taraka and Pali and absorbed Syama and Lalita. He is the most attractive lover of Srimati Radharani and is the reservoir of pleasure for all devotional mellows.*

Song 1

sri-guru-carana-padma, kebala-bhakati-sadma

bando mui sabadhana mate

jahara prasade bhai, ei bhava toriy a jai

krsna-prapti hoy jaha hate

To the lotus feet of my spiritual master, which are the abode of pure devotional service, I who am very fallen bow down with great care and attention in my heart.

O brother, crossing the realm of repeated birth and death by his mercy, we will attain Krsna.

2 guru-mukha-padma-bakya, cittete koriba aikya,

ar na koriho mane asa

sri-guru-carane rati, ei sei uttam-gati

je prasade pure sarba asa

I will make the words from my spiritual master's lotus mouth one with my heart. I do not want the desire for any other thing to stay in my heart. Love for the spiritual master's lotus feet is the highest goal. By his mercy all desires are fulfilled.

3 cakhu-dan dilo jei, janme janme prabhu sei

dibya-jnan hrde prokasito

prema-bhakti jaha hoite, abidya binasa jate

bede gay jahara carito

He who gave me eyes to see is my lord, birth after birth. He made divine knowledge shine in my heart. From him has come prema-bhakti, which destroys ignorance. The Vedic scriptures sing of his character.

4 sri-guru karuna-sindhu, adhama janara bandhu

lokanath lokera jibana

ha ha prabhu koro doya, deho mora .-chaya

ebe jasa ghusuk tribhuvana

O spiritual master, O ocean of mercy, O friend of the fallen, O Lokanatha, O life of the world, O master, be merciful to me. Give me the shade of your feet. May your glories be proclaimed in the three worlds.

5 baisnaba-carana-renu bhusana kariya tanu

jaha haite anubhaba haya

marjana haya bhajana sadhu-sange anuksana

ajnana-abidya-parajaya

By making the dust of the Vaisnavas' feet the ornament of my body, ecstatic love comes. Washing the Vaisnavas' lotus feet is my method of worship. By always associating with the Vaisnavas, I shall overcome the darkness of ignorance.

6 jaya sanatana rupa prema-bhakti-rasa-kupa

jugala-ujjwala-rasa-tanu

janhara prasade loka pasarila saba soka

parakatala kalpa-taru janu

O Srila Sanatana Gosvami and Srila Rupa Gosvami, who are two deep wells of the nectar of pure love, two personifications of the splendid nectar of the Divine Couple, and two desire trees by whose mercy the entire world is free from suffering, all glories to you!

7 prema-bhakti-riti jata nija-granthe su-byakata

kariyachena dui mahasaya

jahara srabana haite parananda haya cite

jugala-madhura-rasasraya

In your books you two great souls clearly described prema-bhakti. You are reservoirs of the sweet nectar of the Divine Couple. Hearing about you brings bliss to the heart.

8 jugala-kisora-prema jini' laksa bana hema

hena dhana prakasila janra

jaya rupa sanatana deha' more sei dhana

sei ratana mora gela hara

You are fabulously wealthy, possessing ecstatic love for the youthful Divine Couple, a love more precious than gold purified in ten thousand flames. O Rupa and Sanatana Gosvami, all glories to you! I beg you, please give me in charity some of these jewel necklaces.

9 bhagabata-sastra-marma naba-bidha bhakti-dharma

sadai kariba su-sebana

anya-devasraya nai tomare kahinu bhai

ei bhakti parama-bhajana

I shall eternally engage in the nine-fold process of devotional service, which is the essential message of Srimad-Bhagavatam, and I shall not worship the demigods. O brother, I say to you: Devotional service is the most exalted kind of worship.

10 sadhu-sastra-guru-bakya cittete kariya aikya

satata bhasiba prema-majhe

karmi jnani bhakti-hina ihare karibe bhina

narottama ei tattwa gaje

Making the words of the guru, sadhus and sastras one with my heart, I constantly float and swim in the ocean of pure love. I am different from the karmis and jnanis, who have no devotion for Krsna. Narottama speaks the truth.

Song 2

Invocation

srimad-rupa-gosvami-prabhupadenoktam

anyabhilasita-sunyam

jnana-karmady-anavrtam

anukuleyna krsnanu-

silanam bhaktir uttama

Srila Rupa Gosvami Prabhupada has said (Bhakti-rasamrta-sindhu 1.1.11)

"Uttama bhakti, or unalloyed devotion unto the Supreme Personality of Godhead, Sri Krsna, involves the rendering of devotional service in a way that is favourable to the Lord. This devotional service should be free from any extraneous motive and devoid of fruitive karma, impersonal jnana and all other selfish desires."*

1 anya-abhilasa chadi jnana karma parihari

kaya mane kariba bhajana

sadhu-sange krsna-seba na pujiba devi-deva

ei bhakti parama-karana

Rejecting all other desires, and abandoning philosophical speculation and fruitive work, in the company of the devotees I will worship and serve Lord Krsna with my body and mind. I will not worship the demigods and demigoddesses. Devotional service is the reason for my life.

2 maha janera jei patha tate habe anurata

purbapara kariya bicara

sadhana-smarana-lila ihate na kara hela

kaya mane kariya susara

Devotedly follow the path of the great devotees in the past. Properly using your body and mind, don't neglect either the regulative devotional practices or the remembrance of the Lord's pastimes.

3 asat-sanga sada tyaga chada anya gita-raga

karmi jnani parihari dure

kebala bhakata-sanga prema-katha-rasa-ranga

lila-katha braja-rasa-pure

Always reject the company of the impious. Give up attraction to non-devotional songs. Leave the karmis and jnanis far away. Only associate with the devotees. Take pleasure in hearing the nectar descriptions of pure love for Krsna. Become flooded by the nectar of the narrations of the Lord's pastimes in Vraja.

4 jogi nyasi karmi jnani anya-debata-pu jaka dhyani

iha-loke dure parihari

karma dharma duhkha soka jeba thake anya joga

chadi bhaja giribara-dhari

Putting the yogis, svamis, karmis, jnanis, demigod-worshippers, and meditators far away, and rejecting the torments that are fruitive work, ordinary religion, and the other yogas, worship Lord Giridhari.

5 tirtha-jatra parisrama kebala manera bhrama

sarba-siddhi gobinda-carana

drdha-biswasa hrde dhari mada-matsar ja parihari

sada kara ananya bhajana

The struggle to travel to various holy pilgrimage places is simply the mind's mistake, because to make spiritual advancement all one actually needs is the lotus feet of Lord Govinda. Abandoning pride and envy, and with firm faith in your heart, always worship Lord Govinda without deviation.

6 krsna-bhakta sanga kari krsna-bhakta anga heri

sraddhanbita srabana-kirtana

arcana bandana dhyana naba-bhakti maha-jnana

ei bhakti parama-karana

See the devotees of Lord Krsna, associate with the devotees of Lord Krsna. Faithfully engage in the nine-fold process of devotional service, which includes hearing about the Lord, chanting His glories, worshipping Him, offering obeisances to Him, and remembering Him. Following these activities enlightens the devotees with spiritual knowledge.

7 hrsike gobinda-seba na pujiba devi-deva

ei ta ananya-bhakti-katha

ara jata upalambha bisesa sakali dambha

dekhite lagaye mane byatha

I shall use these senses to serve Lord Govinda, and I shall decline to worship the various demigods and demigoddesses. I shall only speak about pure devotional service. The numberless different philosophies and conceptions of life are all products of the conditioned soul's pride. Trying to understand them brings no real benefit but only a pain within the mind.

8 dehe baise ripu-gana jateka indriya-gana

keha kara badhya nahi haya

sunile na suna kana janile na jane prana

drdhaite na pare niscaya

The insubordinate senses are like enemies that live within the body. Tell the ear to hear and it may rebel, refusing to hear. Tell the mind to understand a particular point, or become firm in a certain way, and it may very well disobey.

9 kama krodha moha lobha mada matsar ja dambha-saha

sthane sthane ni jukta kariba

ananda kari hrdaya ripu kari parajaya

anayase gobinda bhajiba

I shall fight with lust, anger, bewilderment, greed, madness, envy and pride. Defeating them, I will become blissful at heart, and I will easily become able to worship Lord Govinda.

10 kama krsna-karmarpane krodha bhakta-dwesis-jane

lobha sadhu-sange hari-katha

moha ista-lablha-bine mada krsna-guna-gane

nijukta kariba jatha tatha

Lust I will engage in offering the fruits of my work to Lord Krsna. Anger I will direct towards the enemies of the devotees. Greed I will engage by being greedy to hear the topics of Lord Hari in the association of the saintly devotees. Bewilderment will be manifested because I cannot immediately attain my worshipable Lord. Madness will be there when I madly glorify the transcendental attributes of Lord Krsna. In this way I will engage each of these in the service of Lord Krsna.

11 anyatha swatanta kama anrthadi jara dhama

bhakti-patha sada deya bhanga

kiba ba karite pare kama-krodha sadhakere

jadi haya sadhu-janara sanga

If lust is not controlled, then it becomes the breeding ground for a host of vices and checks one's advancement on the path of devotional service. However, if one stays in the association of the saintly devotees, then that association will carry him beyond the influence of lust, anger, and their friends.

12 krodha ba na kare kiba krodha-tyaga sada diba

lobha moha ei ta kathana

chaya ripu sada hina kariba manera adhina

krsnacandra kariya smarana

I shall not become angry. I shall renounce anger. I shall become free from my six enemies, such as greed and bewilderment. I shall control my mind, and always remember Lord Krsnacandra.

13 apani palabe saba suniya gobinda raba

simha-raba jena kari-gana

sakala vipatti jabe mahananda sukha pabe

jara haya ekanta bhajana

When lust and his friends hear the word "Govinda" they immediately begin to flee, as a herd of elephants flees when it hears a lion's roar. If one engages in single-pointed devotional service to Lord Krsna, then the worshipper attains transcendental bliss, and all kinds of calamities flee from him.

14 na kariba asat-cesta labha puja pratistha

sada cinta gobinda-carana

sakala santapa jabe parananda sukha pabe

prema-bhakti parama-karana

Don't sin. Take no interest in profit, adoration, and distinction. Instead meditate on the lotus feet of Lord Govinda. In this way all sufferings will go far away and transcendental bliss and pure love for Lord Krsna will spontaneously come.

15 asat-sanga kutinati chada anya paripati

anya debe na hariha rati

apana apana sthane piriti sabai tane

bhakti-pathe padaye bigati

Give up the association of the impious non-devotees. Give up the tendency to find fault in others. Don't follow any spiritual path other than devotional service. Don't worship the demigods. If one takes to the worship of the demigods, he becomes deviated from the path of devotional service.

16 apana bhajana-pantha taha habe anurata

ista-deva-sthane-lila-gane

naisthika bhajana ei tomare kahila bhai

hanuman tahate pramana

O brother, please become attached to your worshipable Lord alone. Serve Him without deviation and sing the glories of His pastimes. I will now quote the words of Hanuman, who demonstrates this exclusive devotion to one's worshipable Deity. Hanuman said:

17 srinathe janaki-nathe

abhedah paramatmani

tathapi mama sarvasvam

ramah kamala-locanah

Although He is not different from Lord Narayana, lotus-eyed Lord Rama alone is the be-all and end-all of my life.

18 devaloka pitrloka paya tara maha-sukha

sadhu sadhu bale anuksana

jugala bhajaye jara premanande bhase tara

tandera nichani tri-bhubana

If one attains the planets of the demigods or Pitas and enjoys celestial happiness there, then I congratulate him, saying: well done, well done. However, I myself would never strive to attain such a thing. For myself I am content simply to worship the Divine Couple and swim and float in the bliss of pure love for Them. This pure love is the most valuable object in the three worlds.

19 prthak ayasa-joge duhkamaya-bisaya-bhoge

braje basa gobinda-sebana

krsna-katha krsna-nama satya-satya rasa-dhama

braja-jane-sange anuksana

Although I have taken great trouble to try to enjoy the miserable sense-gratification available in this world, I shall now give it up. I shall now reside in Vraja, serve Lord Govinda, hear and chant the topics of Lord Krsna, chant the holy names of Lord Krsna, and at every moment relish the transcendental mellows of devotional service in the association of the residents of Vraja.

20 sada seba-abhilasa manete kari biswasa

sada-kala haiya nirbhaya

narottama dasa bole padinu asat-bhole

paritrana kara mahasaya

I shall always aspire to serve the Lord, and great faith in the Lord will become manifested in my mind. In this way I shall remain always fearless in all situations. Narottama dasa says: Somehow or other I have accepted the role of a non-devotee. O my master, O great soul, please deliver me.