IndiaDivine.org
Sign in to follow this  
Guest guest

Is it possible

Rate this topic

Guest guest

Hare krishna ,

One spiritual leader has claimed the following.

"Even though I am married man I very strict in my sadhana. I have practiced strict celibacy throughout my married life because my wife and I did not desire children. I rise every morning by 4am for mangala arati. I've been chanting 16 rounds regularly without fail since 1971 when I took initiation from Srila Prabhupada.

"

My question: Is it possible to do that. Can some of you devotees make similar claim . I mean how a man can remain with out sex for so many years. ..

Hari bol

DD

Guest guest

It is possible and quite simple.

Don't watch TV or movies - since these have sensuous imagery which agitate the mind and senses.

Don't socialize with members of the opposite gender - interact only as much as is necessary without seeming impolite. All women are your mother except your wife --- you get the idea.

Don't listen to karmi music, as much of it is subtly or grossly affected by sexual desire, and can stimulate sexual desire in its listeners.

Don't eat karmi food, especially since it might have rajaasic or tamaasic ingredients, which will stimulate desire.

And of course, do not forget the the "DO's"

Do serve your guru

Do perform unalloyed devotional service to the Lord

Do taste prasadam.

Do hear about the glories of the Supreme Lord

Its better not to repress ones desires. Do you want that guy to become a lunatic or something. Sorry but there is limit to everything. People who become too religious become cranks thats all... In Kaliyug it is enough if one remains a good human being(not a conservative fanatic) with reasonable devotion. You dont have to retreat into a cabe or cut yourself from the rest of the world..Enjoy life and do your duty to humanity

that giving your life to Krishna IS enjoying this life. That is why we are here as humans. To learn to love Krishna completely in our hearts again. Not to enjoy with our senses.

So if a sanyassi wants to commit himself totally to Krishna and only krishna I say he is a strong soul, and I encourage them.

You can read what you like, I just like to read Gita by Vaishnavas, to be more broader understanding. Until I do that is....

Srila Prabhupada Bhagavad-gita As It Is:

bahunam janmanam ante

jnanavan mam prapadyate

vasudevah sarvam iti

sa mahatma su-durlabhah

Bg.7.19

After many births and deaths, he who is actually in knowledge surrenders unto Me, knowing Me to be the cause of all causes and all that is. Such a great soul is very rare.

PURPORT

The living entity, while executing devotional service or transcendental rituals after many, many births, may actually become situated in transcendental pure knowledge that the Supreme Personality of Godhead is the ultimate goal of spiritual realization. In the beginning of spiritual realization, while one is trying to give up one's attachment to materialism, there is some leaning towards impersonalism, but when one is further advanced he can understand that there are activities in the spiritual life and that these activities constitute devotional service. Realizing this, he becomes attached to the Supreme Personality of Godhead and surrenders to Him. At such a time one can understand that Lord Sri Krsna's mercy is everything, that He is the cause of all causes and that this material manifestation is not independant from Him. He realizes the material world to be a perverted reflection of spiritual variegatedness and realizes that in everything there is a relationship with the Supreme Lord Krsna. Thus he thinks of everything in relation to Vasudeva, or Sri Krsna. Such a universal vision of Vasudeva precipitates one's full surrender to the Supreme Lord Sri Krsna as the highest goal. Such surrendered great souls are very rare.

This verse is very nicely explained in the Third Chapter of Svetasvatara Upanisad: "In this body there are powers of speaking, of seeing, of hearing, of mental activities, etc. But these are not important if not related to the Supreme Lord. And because Vasudeva is all-pervading and everything is Vasudeva, the devotee surrenders in full knowledge." (Cf. Bhagavad-gita 7.17 and 11.40)

I want present the same verse, but English Translations by Vaishnavas:

After many, many births, the knowledgable person (who happens to attain the association of such a pure devotee) finally comes to understand that the whole universe of moving and stationary being is of the nature of Vasudeva alone, inasmuch as all are subordinate to Vasudeva. Having grasped this conception, he surrenders unto Me. Know such a great soul to be extremely rare.

BR Sridhara Maharaja

After many births, the wise surrenders unto Me, knowing Me as the cause of all causes. Such a great devotee is indeed very rare.

BV Puri Maharaja

Narayana Maharaja Gita-

After many births of spiritual practice, the jnani who is endowed with knowledge that everything both conscious and inert is related to Vasudeva surrenders himself fully to Me, and performs bhajana to Me. Such a mahatma is extremely rare.

SARARTHA-VARSINI

BY SRILA VISVANATHA CAKRAVARTI THAKURA

The following question may be raised: "Since the jnanis accept Your shelter as the supreme destination, they certainly attain You, but how long will it take for such jnanis to become qualified to enter bhakti?" In answer to this, Sri Bhagavan speaks this sloka beginning with the word bahunam.

"Vasudevah sarvam means that those jnanis take shelter of Me when, after many, many births they see Vasudeva everywhere. Such sadhus surrender unto Me due to the influence of good association which is arranged by My will. That is, they surrender to Me according to the bhava received in such association. Among thousands and thousands of men, such a jnani bhakta, whose thoughts are fixed in Me is very rare, what to speak of aikantika-bhaktas, who are far more rare."

SARARTHA-VARSINI PRAKASIKA-VRTTI

BY SRILA BHAKTIVEDANTA NARAYANA MAHARAJA

"Of the four types of devotees (artta, etc.), the jnanis who have nistha in Me, Krsna, are the best.. A jnani who has spiritual fortune (sukrti) attains the association of suddha Vaisnavas after many, many lifetimes, and he thus becomes aware of the svarupa of Sri Vasudeva. He sees Bhagavan Vasudeva everywhere, which means that he sees everything as being related to Vasudeva. Thus he obtains suddha-bhakti to Sri Krsna. Such mahatmas are extremely rare.

Srila Baladeva Vidyabhusana has given the following comment on this sloka: .The bhaktas who are artta, jijnasu and artharthi enjoy the highest type of material happiness for many lifetimes as a result of devotion unto Me. Finally, they become detached from such material pleasure, and in some lifetime come in contact with Vaisnavas who know My svarupa-tattva. In that association, they attain knowledge of My svarupa. Knowing only Me, Krsna, the son of Vasudeva, as the parama-tattva, they take shelter of Me." Srila Bhaktivinoda Thakura quotes Krsna as saying, "After performing sadhana for many, many lifetimes, the jivas attain pure jnana, and become steadfast in the transcendental consciousness of the self. In the beginning of such spiritual practice, when they are trying to give up their mundane identification, they take support of impersonal monism (advaita-bhava) to some extent. During this stage, they develop disgust towards the material world, but they also remain indifferent toward spirituality, especially regarding the variegated nature of spiritual life. When they have become a little advanced in the eternal, conscious existence of the self (caitanya-dharma), and in understanding the special nature of spiritual life which consists of variegated activities, they become attracted to it and surrender unto Me, who am param caitanya-rupa (the supreme conscious form). At that time they understand that this mundane world is not independent but a perverted reflection of the conscious reality, the transcendental realm, and that a relationship with Vasudeva also exists in this world. Hence everything is in relationship with Vasudeva. Those mahatmas, who have such a surrendered attitude towards Me, are very rare."

Guest guest

hare Krishna,

thanks for the reply .One makes the vow to give his best effort. I have doubts that in this kaliyuga some Bhisma like person can appear. On this forum there are many initiated - non-initiated vaisnavs , but no body made similar claims. so my doubt remain un-clarified.

hari bol

dd

Guest guest

hare Krishna,

thanks for the reply .One makes the vow to give his best effort. I have doubts that in this kaliyuga some Bhisma like person can appear. On this forum there are many initiated - non-initiated vaisnavs , but no body made similar claims. so my doubt remain un-clarified.

hari bol

dd

For me such would be an impossibility at the level I am at. But just because I am at this certain level doesn't mean others haven't made far more progress in previous births as well as this one. I expect to see, and have seen, far more spiritual miracales take place in the lives of anyone who seeks God with even the tinest shread of earnestness. Even me someday.

Now the way I see it this person may be telling the truth of exaggerating it or outright lying. Or it may be that he is not interested in sex due to low testosterone or some pyschological reason. It is also possible that someone can become very attached to sadhana practice but not yet be tasting love for Krsna or even wanting to.

But it doesn't matter to me. I will only accept someone as being spiriually advanced when Supersoul in some way grants me the vision to see that in him. I am too confused a person to dare try and trust any external statements or observations made by my senses to trust my own calculations. Until then I will take everything at arms length.

So we can ask ourselves in what does it matter to me what this person's practice has been? If he is offering that up to prove he is a guru or something then I would take that whole attempt as a reason to avoid him.

So I don't know who said that or why but ask yourself if it is really important, one way or another, in your own life?