IndiaDivine.org
Sign in to follow this  
Pankaja_Dasa

How did Bhagavad-gita come to Be?

Rate this topic

The Blessed Lord said: I instructed this imperishable science of yoga to the sun-god, Vivasva, and Vivasva instructed it to Manu, the father of mankind, and Manu in turn instructed it to Iksvaku.Bg.4.1

O my Lord, Sri Krsna, son of Vasudeva, O all-pervading Personality of Godhead, I offer my respectful obeisances unto You. I meditate upon Lord Sri Krsna because He is the Absolute Truth and the primeval cause of all causes of the creation, sustenance and destruction of the manifested universes. He is directly and indirectly conscious of all manifestations, and He is independent because there is no other cause beyond Him. **It is He only who first imparted the Vedic knowledge unto the heart of Brahmaji**, the original living being. By Him even the great sages and demigods are placed into illusion, as one is bewildered by the illusory representations of water seen in fire, or land seen on water. Only because of Him do the material universes, temporarily manifested by the reactions of the three modes of nature, appear factual, although they are unreal. I therefore meditate upon Him, Lord Sri Krsna, who is eternally existent in the transcendental abode, which is forever free from the illusory representations of the material world. I meditate upon Him, for He is the Absolute Truth. SB.1.1.1

The age of the current Manu is calculated to last some 305,300,000 years, of which 120,400,000 have passed. Accepting that before the birth of Manu, the Gita was spoken by the Lord to His disciple, the sun-god Vivasvan, a rough estimate is that the Gita was spoken at least 120,400,000 years ago; and in human society it has been extant for two million years. Bg.4.1 Purport

Our only purpose is to present this Bhagavad-gita As It Is in order to guide the conditioned student to the same purpose for which Krsna descends to this planet once in a day of Brahma, or every 8,600,000,000 years. Bg. Preface

Although the Lord appears on schedule, namely at the end of Dvapara-yuga of the twenty-eighth millennium of the eighth Manu, in one day of Brahma, still He has no obligation to adhere to such rules and regulations because He is completely free to act in many ways at His will. He therefore appears by His own will whenever there is a predominance of irreligiosity and a disappearance of true religion. Bg.4.7 Purport

The Manus who are prominent within this universe are as follows: Yajna as Svayambhuva Manu, Vibhu as Svarocisa Manu, Satyasena as Uttama Manu, Hari as Tamasa Manu, Vaikuntha as Raivata Manu, Ajita as Caksusa Manu, Vamana as Vaivasvata Manu (the present age is under the Vaivasvata Manu), Sarvabhauma as Savarni Manu, Rsabha as Daksasavarni Manu, Visvaksena as Brahma-savarni Manu, Dharmasetu as Dharma-savarni Manu, Sudhama as Rudra-savarni Manu, Yogesvara as Deva-savarni Manu, and Brhadbhanu as Indra-savarni Manu. These are the names of one set of fourteen Manus covering 4,300,000,000 solar years as described above.

SB.1.3.5 Purport

QUESTION! Manu always speaks Gita in this way, anybody ever thought about this. So as to make it more easy for me to understand?