IndiaDivine.org
Sign in to follow this  
Pankaja_Dasa

One brings ruination

Rate this topic

This verse could bring fear in the hearts of everybody who don't follow certain restrictions of the Sastra and Guru, but who come everyday to instruct aspiring Sadhakas on the Tenants of Bhakti-yoga! [That includes me]-

---apariks yopadistam yat loka-nasaya tad bhaveta---

-One brings ruination to the world if he instructs others in religious

principles that he himself does not follow.

-Brahma-vaivarta Purana

-Quoted from Jaiva-dharma Chp 7.

In Jaiva-dharma there some concessions for people who are very much inclined to activities, recommended paths -sacrifices for meat-eating and intoxication, it says in the end the aim is to give them up though.

So I wonder if I am right to think that taking shelter of Suddha-Vaisnavas, when they ask you to give them up. They are speaking from the point of view of higher understanding, and know that it can be done. After all this is from point of view of above the Varna? Because in Varna and outside of Varna you need to follow certain rules for your Asrama whatever, but to become a Vaishnava you would need to follow all the rules governing to become a Bhakta. Any opinion?

I was reading also that some people are outside of Varna [Muslims] but nobody is barred from becoming Bhakta [Vaishnavas]. But according to social division you need to still adhere to certain customs.

So lets says a Muslim is a Pure devotee, and a Brahmin Pure devotee [twice-born] wants to marry the daughter of the Muslim devotee, anybody care to answer if that would be possible according to Varna?! If not why not? The Brahmin is most qualified. Get your thinking caps on. Oh yes, if you say not, then give your reasons.

Guest guest

So I wonder if I am right to think that taking shelter of Suddha-Vaisnavas, when they ask you to give them up.

-------------------

What is this question supposed to mean?

VDK.

pure devotee is pure devotee, muslim or otherwise. so what is the objection?

My gurumaharaja said the rules are there to teach you about love - prema. If the rules and regs don't teach you that, or hinder your spontaneity, abandon the rules!

VdK

one needs to always follow suddha Vaishnavas instructions, but such instructions need to be properly understood.

"a Brahmin Pure devotee [twice-born] wants to marry the daughter of the Muslim devotee, anybody care to answer if that would be possible according to Varna?

the real question is: would such a marriage produce a happy and strong family? if you live in the west, such social standards may not be very limiting, but if you live in India - they can ruin your life.

from the varnashrama point of view, a brahmana can accept a wife from any varna.

Guest guest

How so? there are no examples of those mixed marriages, especially in the big cities?

I would think it impossible in certain circumstances, but I can conceive situations where this could be tolerated or even encouraged.