IndiaDivine.org
Sign in to follow this  
vijay

ganesa

Rate this topic

Should we be worshipping ganesa? I found this on vedabase. Is he a vaikuntha diety? this is in bhagvatam canto 7. Or does ganesa mean visvaksena or something like that?

eet, (m) to offer the Deity food cooked by an uninitiated person, (n) to worship the Deity and offer bhoga to the Deity within the vision of an uninitiated person or non-Vaisnava, (o) to offer worship to the Deity without worshiping Vaikuntha deities like Ganesa, (p) to worship the Deity while perspiring, (q) to refuse flowers offered to the Deity, ® to take a vow or oath in the holy name of the Lord.

If one commits any of the above offenses, one must read at least one chapter of Bhagavad-gita. This is confirmed in the Skanda-Purana, Avanti-khanda. Similarly, there is another injunction, stating that one who reads the thousand names of Visnu can be released from all offenses. In the same Skanda-Purana,

HDG A.C. Bhaktivedanta Swami Prabhupada

[snip]

Regarding Ganesa Puja, I have received some letters from persons requesting to also perform it. I have explained to them that ultimately it is not required, but if you have some sentiment to get the blessings of Ganesa in order to get huge sums of money for service of Krishna, then it can be done, but privately. I have instructed them that if they want to do it, they must send me at least 100,000 dollars monthly--not less.

I hope this meets you in good health.

Your ever well-wisher,

A. C. Bhaktivedanta Swami

ACBS/ps

That is not for me to speculate on. Although it is funny in a way as he never instructed anybody that I ever heard of to worship Ganesha. And it was to this person Gurukripa which adds to it. Hard to explain. /images/graemlins/smile.gif I find humor in it but then that might just be me. I have read it many times over the years and it always brings at least a chuckle.

But we should see it as serious certainly. Everything is there in Krsna worship. If He wants you to be rich you will be, poor and you will be. It's His business. And where would a demigod get it to give it to you? Krsna right? So why make a separate arrangment to get money?

Guest guest

The consciousness of the sadhaka is most important. As stated in the following purport:

"When one engages in the Supreme Lord’s devotional service, he is in a transcendental position. Even though one may be situated in the mode of goodness in the material world, he is susceptible to pollution by the modes of passion and ignorance. When the mode of goodness is mixed with the mode of passion, one worships the sun-god, Vivasvän. When the mode of goodness is mixed with the mode of ignorance, he worships Ganapati, or Ganesha. When the mode of passion is mixed with the mode of ignorance, one worships Durgä, or Käli, the external potency. When one is simply in the mode of ignorance, he becomes a devotee of Lord Shiva because Lord Shiva is the predominating deity of the mode of ignorance within this material world. However, when one is completely free from the influence of all the modes of material nature, he becomes a pure Vaishnava on the devotional platform." (A.C. Bhaktivedanta Swami Prabhupada. Sri Chaitanya Charitamrita. Madhya lila 24:330. purport.)

Therefore as aspiring Vaishnavas we are only interested in WORSHIPPING Krishna as the supreme personality of Godhead. However, understanding the position of His empowered devotees in their functional roles, we do not neglect to offer respects to ALL living beings, especially the powerful, empowered Devas (demigods).

In fact Srila Prabhupad encourages us to ask for help in our clearing the path to pure unalloyed service to the Supreme Lord Krishna - while in other places condeming the separate worship of demigods for fruitve material gain.

"One should begin the worship of the demigod Ganapati (Ganesha), who drives away all impediments in the execution of devotional service. In the Brahma-samhitä it is stated that Ganapati worships the lotus feet of Lord Nrsimhadeva and in that way has become auspicious for the devotees in clearing out all impediments. Therefore, all devotees should worship Ganapati." (A.C.Bhaktivedanta Swami Prabhupada. Nectar of Devotion, chapter 8. Offenses to be avoided.)