IndiaDivine.org
Sign in to follow this  
jayaisvara

Sincerity

Rate this topic

I know I have made a topic in the past about sincerity but I still haven't understood what it means to be sincere. I know in the past I have been crooked and prentious to the extreme, and it has subsided a little after taking to KC.

My question to the devotees here is that how does one become eligible to attain sincerity?

Sometimes it comes in the most painful times in our lives where we have no place to turn but to Lord Himself. Why is this?

Please forgive me if I am disturbing you with my questions.

You actually understand it quite well.

Like when you are extremely thirsty and you ask someone for a glass of water. You are sincere in expressing you want for them to give you water. You perceive your need and are asking someone to fulfill it. It has a certain level of importance to you, it is vital that you obtain water.

Sometimes it comes in the most painful times in our lives where we have no place to turn but to Lord Himself. Why is this?

It is in such times that we recognize we have no place to turn but to the Lord. A truly intelligent person understands that the need for the Lord is always there not just when we want Him to ease our pain.

As we gain such intelligence and insight our sincerity in seeking the Lord will increase automatically.

We have all heard the story of the teacher and student by the river. The student asks the teacher what he must develop to get to know God.

The teacher takes him into the river and pushes his head below the surface. The student eventually starts trying to raise his head above the water to get air. He struggles violently. Finally the teacher allows him to surface and his gasps in a big gulp of air.

The teacher tells him that when his desire for God is as one-pointed as that desire for air he will have developed what is necessary to get to know God.

Sincere

Honest to God ?!

No longer looking to be glorified for one's service ?

No longer hiding behind a veneer of pretense ?

Speaking from the heart and not only from the lips?

Heart and soul and not mere mind and intelligence?

The gopis are sincere whereas the smarta-brahmanas are not; they are pretending to be.

Prabhupada in Gita:Better to be a sincere street sweeper than a charlatan spiritualist.

Beg Krsna,petition Krsna, cry out to Krsna. He'll make you eligible to come to know His will for you. You can only cheat yourself. Krna will never willingly cheat you just for fun. No. Krsna wants us to come back to Him billions of times more than we want to go back to Him.

Here's a classic: Pray as if everthing is totally dependent on Krsna (Which it is.) And endeavor as if everything is dependent on oneself. (Which it isn't.)

God,if one is not sincere what is the use living a lie. Better that one never ever lived at all.

BE HUMBLER THAN A BLADE OF GRASS

A synopsis of two lectures by Bhaktisiddhanta Saraswati Thakur

The perfection of life is for everyone to cooperate in Krishna's service. This is an open invitation. Although service of the Supreme Personality of Godhead is the highest of all activities, it can be performed by one and all.

Many people worship for material gain or to attain liberation in God's effulgence. Loving devotional service is not to be confused with such worship. It's the pure transcendental position of the spirit soul.

A real spiritual master is one who dispels the darkness of ignorance by the torchlight of knowledge and elevates his or her disciples to the platform of love. Such a teacher has no personal motivation except to do God's will. In this way, one presents universal religion.

We're infinitesimal. God is infinite. We can't approach God by our senses, mental speculation, or austerities. When we become free of selfish desires and cultivate the spirit of unconditional surrender, God gives us mercy and reveals God’s self. Krishna sends his representative to help us attain this realization. The spiritual master is indispensable for spiritual progress and is the transparent medium through which the Absolute is revealed.

We should give up material attachments and the association of people who aren't interested in serving Krishna. We need to serve and love the devotees, encourage them in their service and never be envious of them.

Sri Chaitanya said, "One who is humbler than a blade of grass, who is more tolerant than a tree, and who does not expect personal honor yet is always prepared to give all respect to others, can very easily always chant the holy name of God."

We must establish the genuine feeling of humility if our chanting is to have potency. We're helpless and require God's grace. God is inclined towards humble devotees. God is not attracted by a mere show of humility which is nothing but insincerity or hypocrisy.

We must also be patient if we're to approach God. This requires being free of any desire other than Krishna and Krishna's service. We fall into the jaws of death due to our ignorance. Material knowledge will not help us become free.

It is essential to hear from the spiritual master and follow the master’s orders. Even to learn material skills, one must have a teacher--what to speak of learning the highest spiritual science. Material knowledge produces meager temporary results. Spiritual knowledge produces the highest eternal benefit, love of God.

We have to be able to tell a real spiritual master from a false one. The real spiritual teacher is the servant of God and is able to save us from the clutches of death and addiction to things other than Krishna and Krishna's service. We fall into the jaws of death due to our ignorance. Material knowledge will not help us become free. The words of the spiritual master will. Therefore, we should worship the guru’s lotus feet every moment of our lives.

The spiritual master is one but appears in many forms. The guru is our only shelter. As soon as we fall away from the lotus feet of the spiritual master or forget them, we fall away from the Truth. We immediately become preoccupied with material activities. We may also become subject to the bad desire of seeking to be worshipped by others as spiritual master.

Krishna as Object of Worship is one half, and as Support of His Worshipper, he himself is the other half of the Whole. It's like the hand of God reaching down to massage his feet. The spiritual master is present in everything as the supporting principle. The guru appears as initiator, instructor, and indwelling spiritual masters. We should consider all devotees of God to be our masters; therefore, we address each other as "Prabhu."

Sometimes devotees criticize other devotees. Srila Raghunath Bhatt Goswami never listened to the faults of devotees. It was enough for him to know that they were engaged in Krishna's service. We become agitated by small insufficiencies. Even when we see the devotees engaged in their service of God, we think they should be doing so much more. Their service is so great, but we're busy looking for defects.

Krishna says in the Bhagavad Gita 9:30-31, "Even if one commits the most abominable actions, if one is engaged in devotional service, one is to be considered saintly because one is properly situated. One quickly becomes righteous and attains lasting peace. 0 son of Kunti, declare it boldly, that my devotee never perishes."

In the Fifth Text of his Sri Upadeshamrita, Srila Rupa Goswami says, "One should mentally honor the devotee who chants the holy name of Lord Krishna, one should offer humble obeisances to the devotee who has undergone spiritual initiation and is engaged in worshipping the deity, and one should associate with and faithfully serve that pure devotee who is advanced in undeviated devotional service and whose heart is completely devoid of the propensity to criticize others.”

As long as we're engaged in seeking out the defects of others, we're devoid of the quality of humility greater than that of a blade of grass. Because I'm full of faults, I'm attracted to finding fault with others. In this way, I lose the opportunity to serve the spiritual master. We need to sit at the lotus feet of the spiritual master and be constantly made aware of our own innumerable defects and be cautioned about the possibility of fall down. Rather than discussing the faults of others, we should speak about Krishna's glories.

Hearing and chanting is the only way to realize Krishna. The genuine spiritual master's chanting is able to actually awaken our remembrance of God. Through submissive aural reception, the desire to chant is aroused in us.

By means of the transcendental sound, we can rise above the conditioned ego. In material consciousness, we're in a masculine ego state thinking ourselves to be the master and enjoyer. Our spiritual ego is feminine and knows itself to be a servant of Krishna meant for his enjoyment.

We're in a lamentable condition due to misidentification with our gross and subtle bodies under the influence of the illusory energy of Godhead. The cause of this fall is to think we're equal or even superior to the Godhead, his devotees, and the spiritual guide. We're arrogant sinners if we think we can worship Krishna and avoid worshiping his devotees who are as worshipable as God. When we try to become master, we become slaves of sorrow, infatuation and fear. We can only become free through the devotional attitude.

We become eligible to serve God by submitting to God with heart, speech, and body, realizing God’s mercy in the sufferings brought about by our own actions. This is the only way of deliverance from this world. Whatever God does is for our good. We'll be saved if we see God’s mercy in every event and activity. If we notice any defect or cruelty in God’s works, it's sure to hamper our spiritual progress.

All our trouble is due to the fact that we're engrossed in activities other than the service of Krishna. We'll be fortunate if our taste for his service increases daily. It's the spiritual master who inspires us in such activity. We should be prepared to carry out the guru’s orders without hesitation.

My guru wanted his disciples to preach Krishna consciousness and deliver the world from Godlessness. Worldly obstacles can't stop this preaching movement since Sri Chaitanya also desired it to spread throughout the world. A guru should not interested in having thousands of useless followers like the innumerable stars in the sky which aren't able to dissipate the darkness by their twinkling. One moon is much more powerful than all the stars. We should become moons and destroy the dark­ness of ignorance.

To do this, we shouldn't merely imitate the conduct of pure devotees, but we should follow their line of thought. We had best scrutinize our own ineligibility for the mission and seek to rectify our own faults. Then we'll see that we're lower than the straw in the street and become eligible for receiving the mercy of God and God’s devotees. Why should a person be anxious to pry into the defects of others when one doesn't examine their own conduct? Is this the disposition of a devotee?

The acts and expressions of the pure devotees cannot be understood even by the wise. Let us not be misled by external appearances. If we offend the devotees of God, we will "be cast into the pursuit of material objects, name, fame, etc. Service of the devotees is the best thing we can do.

We don't find God in this world. The devotees of God show themselves to us by their mercy. We'll be wise to follow their conduct and teachings. This is the only path to our well being.

"The Lord is seated in the heart of all living beings, and thus, He knows very well the movements of all individual persons. As soon as the Lord finds that a particular soul is very eager to go back to Godhead, the Lord at once sends His bona fide representative. The sincere devotee is thus assured by the Lord of going back to Godhead. The conclusion is that to get the assistance and help of a bona fide spiritual master means to receive the direct help of the Lord Himself."

(Srimad-Bhagavatam, 1.19.36, Purport)

Sincerity (IMO) means to pay the price. If our goal is to become Krsna Conscious, then we should be willing to do whatever it takes. (Under proper guidance, not by whim.)

For most, the bare minimum in expressing our sincerity is to chant 16 rounds and follow 4 regulative principles. True, there are devotees who have done this and then after some time, have fallen. This is because they either 1) committed serious offenses while chanting or 2) performed these minimal guidelines in a mechanical fashion. Since spiritual life is dynamic by nature, we are either moving forward, or sliding backward. Of course, we have to make a start somewhere, hence it may seem mechanical at the very beginning. But the aspirant needs to always keep the goal in mind, and be enthusiastic to achieve that goal. Simultaneously, he needs to know that he has declared war on Maya, and must be aware that Maya will set so many traps for us, just like land-mines, and we must tread very carefully. That is why it is stated that the path of Krsna Consiousness is like a razor's edge. If we are sincere, our taste for all things Krsna will grow (His name, pastimes, service, etc), and simultaneously, our taste for mundane enjoyment will decrease. In other words, we should frequently analyze ourselves to insure that we are making progress, and not just stagnating due to mechanically following. Krsna doesn't want machines who mindlessly repeat His name, He wants our hearts.

Wyatt

The teacher tells him that when his desire for God is as one-pointed as that desire for air he will have developed what is necessary to get to know God.

How do we develop such desire?

In that lecture that Krsna das prabhu posted, I don't see how its possible for a neophyte with so much anarthas to follow the strict rules. Especially when people like myself are coming to KC from a society that is mainly focused in criticizing others by their external appearences. I unfortunately took part in such criticism in my past because the 'cool kids' did it to me and for my own selfish desire to save myself, I also try to become 'cool' and did it to other people. Its not something that I want to do ever again. So how is it that one can fix such already developed bad habit?

theistji, Krsna Prabhu, and WyattEarp Prabhu, thanks for your time in replying to my question.

I'm no expert on developing sincerity, so I should probably just remain silent. However, I got to thinking, (perhaps for my own benefit moreso than yours), and in my own feeble attempts at becoming sincere, I've had the most success when I was able to spend a good deal of time reading books from the Acaryas, as well as prayers from Srila Bhaktivinode Thakur and Srila Narottama das Thakur. Bhaktivinode's Saranagati contains some of the most beautiful prayers ever written. These prayers are written for our benefit. Sometimes he prays to his Gurudeva, sometimes he prays directly to Krsna. I've noticed that whenever I take the time to read and pray before I chant, I feel so much more enlivened. Ultimately, the more devotional activities we engage in, the more enthusiastic and sincere we become. The example is there of an iron rod, if we stick it in the fire, it will take on the qualities of fire. In the same way, if we wish to become Krsna-ized, we will want to associate with Krsna through his devotees, the maha-mantra, observing Ekadasis and holy days, offering prayers, offering service, and so on.

Wyatt

DEDICATE THIS ONE LIFETIME TO KRSNA

...I am always encouraged to learn of your activities in the San Francisco temple, and I think that by the Grace of Caitanya Mahaprabhu you shall do very great service to His Sankirtana Movement. For so many countless lifetimes the conditioned souls have been giving all of their service and energy to the service of Maya, and I am requesting all of my disciples that for this one lifetime you give all of your energy and service to Krishna. The spiritual force is eternal, so to give simply one lifetime to Krishna is not a very difficult thing. And yet if we are serious in executing the devotional principles, this one lifetime of service to Krishna will be the absolute and final solution to all the problems of life. Sincere devotional service in even one lifetime is sufficient to make one eligible to return to the Vaikuntha world permanently. Krishna Consciousness has got this power. So stick to this path as you are now doing, and as your sincerity and determination increase more and more, Krishna will surely be pleased to bestow all of His blessings upon you...

..I am so glad to understand that you have decided to dedicate your life for Krishna Consciousness Movement, this is the right way of perfecting our mission of human life. Many men have dedicated their lives for many engagements in the name of philanthrophy, altruism, nationalism, humanitarianism and so on, but all of them will be finished along with the end of life of this body. Our dedication of life or Krishna-ism, on the other hand, will continue eternally and give us eternal life, bliss and knowledge. Try to follow these principles and preach the message to the suffering humanity. This is my request. (Letters from Srila Prabhupada 9/9/69, 1/29/70)

This is my only desire, O Lord, and I submit it at Your lotus feet: That unmotivated devotion to You may constantly awaken in my heart. As much attachment as I now have for worldly affairs, I pray that a similar degree of attachment may develop for Your holy feet. I pray that my love for You may remain undisturbed both in misfortune and in prosperity, and that day after day it may increase by the power and influence of Your holy name. Be my life in heaven or in hell, be it as a bird or a beast, may devotion to You always remain within the heart of Bhaktivinoda. (Srila Bhaktivinoda Thakura- Gitavali)

Thanks prabhu's for answering. I listen to Srila Bhaktivinoda Thakur's songs like "Emona Durmatti" and also Narottama Das Thakur's songs like "Thakura Vaisnava Gana" and "Ei Baro Karuna Koro". Also, the song by Govinda Dasa Kaviraja called "Bhajahu Re Mana". They are very nice songs.

Also, is it alright for a neophyte to read songs from Gitavali, Prarthana and Saranagati and such devotional song books?

No not at all, I am always scared that I will misunderstand many things as I don't have a guru, because I am not qualified yet. So reading these songs books and also books like Sri Nabadvipa Mahatmya, Jaiva Dharma and such, I am scared I will not understand them. How can I understand acaryas who have came before the recent acarya HDG Swami Prabhupada if I don't understand HDG Swami Prabhupada's teaching? That is a question that boggles me. There are also some disciples of Swami Prabhupada who have wrote books which I am yet to read. Books from Swami Nrsingha Maharaja, Swami Bishnu Maharaja and Swami Tripurari Maharaja etc I still haven't read and I don't know if I will understand even if I read them. Its either less material experience to understand the danger of Maya or either I am too dull headed.

I understand that real well. We need to find that level of understanding that is most appropriate for us at any certain time.

For me I need to experience myself as being beyond the body and mind. I will however read ahead of my post and hope something sticks by the grace of Caitya-guru. This has helped me alot with the same question. I no longer try to figure out so hard what I am reading. Like the prayers of Bhativinode. First I would try to "enter into his mood " LOL!!! You know take a real "devotional" posture in mind and sometimes I would imagine myself like I was right there in his prayers or Krsna Book especially. That's OK for a while like a like child with a toy pretending he is a fireman as he drives the little firetruck. But unlike a child sometimes we tend to take ourselves too seriously long after we put the truck down. Children drop the whole thing and move on. This is dangerous I have discovered. So is thinking we can force our way in to those transcendental realms by force of intellect and subject Them to our scroutiny and analysis. This is the stuff from which false teachers are fashioned. But we will always come up short. How did Mother Yashoda catch Krsna when He was being naughty. He allowed Himself to be caught under the force of her love for Him.

Not that we shouldn't engage all the resources of the mind and intelligence but the danger comes when we take ourselves too seriously. Now I like to read Krsna Book because it is so pleasurable. I am trying to just let it wash over my consciousness. Borrowing a little emptiness of mind idea from the Buddhists maybe.

You are being cautious and that must be pleasing to the Acaryas and advanced devotees. I was just thinking of all the bhaktas who say different things about what to read and not what to read. This can become very confusing. Some say don't read Govinda lilamrita for example and others say you should not wait. I was confused about this for a long time going back and forth. Finally I decided I was going to read it so I bought a copy. I read the awakening lila of Radha and Krsna. I felt rather shocked actually and have never opened it again even though I can see it right now sitting on my shelf. But something stuck, I can feel it. Perhaps a little seed whose season is a long ways off from sprouting but one I am keeping safe none the less. I feel if I tried to proceed now or anytime in the near future I will just bury that seed in unfit soil. All things in their proper season.

So I never read Govinda-lilamrita but by taking a peek I have found my own level.

Essentially what I am trying to say and taking the long way in saying it is you will get so much contradictary advice especially on a forum, but also from different teachers and groups, but ultimately Krsna will need to show you your proper place on this path. That can be rather humbling in that I thought I was ready for some intimate pastimes and Krsna has sent me back to Sri Isopanisad. Afterall I still think I can own things of this world and control them.

I hope that made sense jayaisvara prabhu and remember it is just one souls experience. Your's may be very different.

Thanks theistji for sharing your experience. Its interesting that you mentioned about not trying to scrutinize our mind and intelligence in trying to see the taste of the infinite. Because I was just reading an article from Srila B.R. Sridhara Maharaja called "Descent of the Holy Name", you can find it here: http://bvml.org/SBRSM/tdothn.html

In that article he says that sometimes scrutinizing our mind and intelligence too much will make the mind explode and leave us not having the ability to understand the infinite.

Srila Prabhupada has said to use all the intelligence we have to understand Krsna. This also is quite puzzling because in the end, I end up imagining and speculating. I guess I haven't yet understood the difference between the mind and the intellect.

Sometimes when Bhagavatam quotes of Chaitanya Charitamrta quotes are posted here on this board or whenever I see them elsewhere, I try not to read them because I would end up with a wrong conception which, if I try to justify by my own mind without patiently waiting for revelation from God, I would be cheated myself.

Even the Bhagavad Gita I hesitated to read but then I had to read because I felt I was waiting too long (I started reading Gita officially after 9 months since I heard about it so I am in Chapter 1 verse 28 as of tomorrow)

But sometimes when feeling unable to turn anywhere to, listening to Narottama Dasa Thakur's songs really make me get in touch with my actual self rather than the fake devotional covering I have put over myself.

Thanks again for sharing your personal experience Prabhu.

Yes, the way I understand it we use to intelligence as much as we have but we rely on Krsna to guide the intelligence.

Don't be shy about reading Prabhupada's books. How else can we formulate the proper questions? The difference is it is not recommended to jump to tenth canto Rasa-lila. It's a progressive meditation from 1st canto through though. Like meditating on the Deities feet and progressive letting our contemplation rise to the smiling face.

The idea about finding your own level I feel is very important. We are coming into this life having achieved different levels of advancement from the past. I have seen some people come and just pick it up right off and be far ahead in one year to others who have been involved for ten years.

That is why I take the "disciple of long standing" with a certain reserve. It's not that a disciple of Prabhupada's disciple can't be more advanced then someone who was with Prabhupada from the beginning. So many factors. Of course respect is there for long term involvement but respect has to be there for more adancement also.

I often feel like a turtle running on the side of the road while a world class marathon is being run on the road. I am slow no doubt but at least my direction is correct.

So what I mean to say is we can't always tell by standard external markers.

This is one of my favorites verses.

Even a person with no knowledge can immediately acquire all knowledge simply by the benediction of Sri Caitanya Mahaprabhu. Therefore I am praying to the Lord for His causless mercy upon me. CC Madhya-lila 1.1

Thanks for the replies Prabhu's.

theistji, I think when you say that we are coming into this life with different levels of attainments is really true. I've heard this from other Maharaja's as well. What I do now is read 1 or 2 verse from Gita and I try to listen to the lecture of Srila Prabhupada. This takes about an hour or a bit more. I know I will not understand the Gita by reading it once. As I read a verse a day, I will try to integrate it to how my daily karma plays out and this will make it a nice theoretical and practical lesson I think.

What I don't understand about dovetailing our desires is that, suppose we serve Krsna some nice kachoris, sweet laddus and juicy rasogullah's. When we take prasadam, our(rather my) mind is focused on how the prasadam actually tastes. I don't see how this can help us advance. Sometimes I forcibly try to hide the taste by holding my nose while eating something tasty. Does this taking prasadam also require sincerity in that you must actually acknowledge that it's mercy?

Guest guest

I reallly dont think you have close your nose not to realise the taste of prasadam. Honestly I dont beleive that much is required to become closer with God. Spiritual maturity in mind comes as the soul advances at different level after different kinds of experiences. All the soul at one stage will eventually get rid of material desires and reach Him. Bakthi cannot be forced even within by our own self. If you feel like chanting only one round today with concentration do that as long as you are able to do that one round with devotion. there is no point in forcing oneself to sit in a place and try chanting or trying not to taste the prasadam by forcing yourself. Sincerity is at different level and realising Baghwan is an evolution. NOne can claim that they are matured totally because even great saints at times get angry with others which is not a good sign and there are good evidences of rishis getting angry and curse others in that moment. So keep doing what you are able to do now to Baghwan and in course of time you will evolve more and more closer. Never compare youself and feel dejected. rather do your best what you can do and fix your mind. this little bakthi will evolve and make you totally devoted siince this bakthi by itself comes by the causeless Mercy of Lord Krishna. As long as you thrive to reach Him, He will make you perfect in the way He wants. Leave things to Him rather than breaking yourself.

Raghavan

VANDANAM

“There are nine processes of devotional service, they are all the same. Different processes. Sravanam kirtanam visnoh smaranam pada-sevanam arcanam vandanam dasyam. Vandanam, this vandanam is prayer." 1976, Room Conversation, Detroit, Mi

HOW TO PRAY FOR OTHERS (and Yourself Too!)

Many complain that they prayed and it never worked. First we need to decide what ‘worked’ means. If it means God did not become the order-supplier and give what was demanded, that is an entire other topic. But what about those who simply feel they are not being heard?

While it is true that any sincere prayer is heard by God/Krishna, we may not ‘feel’ the connection. And may also be unable to notice that yes, a prayer was indeed answered, just in a way we never considered. Or at the very least, it brought benefits.

Why do some succeed in prayer while others feel it’s a waste of time? There is a science behind successful prayer. To start with, we need to increase our awareness. We are in these thick heavy, material bodies that tends to blind us from the higher spiritual world and connections. These bodies can be transcended, but the point is, we are in them. The more we engage in spiritual activities, the more aware of our spiritual body we become, and in that way we start developing our attachment to that instead.

I will explain some basics here that will most likely increase a person’s ability to pray more successfully, or better experience unity or connectedness.

While saying a prayer anytime, any place, is always encouraged, here let us look at ways to elevate our consciousness, purify ourselves, and increase awareness in order to make an actual connection when we pray.

Let’s start with some simple points. Unplug the phone, turn off the CD player or anything else. Find a time that sensibly fits into your schedule. If necessary, inform family or friends you do not want to be interrupted for the next XXX minutes. Etc. It’s also helpful to wash our hands, face and rinse mouth before prayer. It only takes a minute and it can help us feel better about ourselves. When we feel better about ourselves, we can do a better job, as well as feel that cleansing the outside is a beginning to cleansing the inside.

With that resolved, we look at the mind, our thought patterns. Both conscious and subtle, they effect our prayers. It’s important to weed out any hidden, harmful thinking patterns and replace them with healthier and/or spiritual ones that will be able to take their place. It is a misconception that a bad habit (or bad thinking patterns) can be fixed by kicking them out. Bad habits are very difficult to break for a reason. Generally they are there due to some type of void, a need, something lacking, etc. So if you want to get rid of a negative, you must replace it with a new, more functional and enlivening habit or thought. This is a simple way to cleanse our mind, and it works!

Of course, we should never be under the misconception that because we are not 100% perfect at this, or at anything, we therefore should not pray. That is maya’s trick to keep us from serving or increasing our individual spiritual advancement. We merely need to try, little by little, to clear our minds and offer prayer. Even if we are successful for only a few moments, that’s a few moments more than we would have had, if we had not endeavored. Thus we have achieved some spiritual advancement. Consciousness always overrides sub-conscious or unconscious anyway, therefore by making any needed changes in the way we think, sometimes stemming over to our lifestyle and improving it, this can help us do it better, starting drop by drop and building.

Next it’s a good idea to spend a few moments trying to relax and get calm and centered. This significantly helps us find the connection to God we thought was not there, or not much. Actually, it was always there but with the honking of car horns in the city, or dealing with growing children in the country, running to the office, PTA meetings, or any form of busyness which plays a major role in nearly everyone’s life in this age of kali, has deafened us to this gentle, subtle spiritual awareness. Some slow, deep breathing can help, which is most effective when the lower part of the abdomen is filled with air first, and gradually working on up. Release in reverse order. Now, this is not necessary, and is just a form of physical relaxation, a way to increase it in a short span of time. It certainly is not required to pray. Merely, the more relaxed we become, the more we can tune in to the more subtle or spiritual awareness of Lord Sri Krishna! If you choose to include it, no need to spend much time. Two or three deep breaths can usually calm and center a person. But any method in which you can get relaxed is all which matters.

You’re almost ready to begin. First read something that personally inspires you. (Which is also a form of relaxation, and more spiritual.) A favorite verse from the Gita, a paragraph from a lecture Srila Prabhupada gave, etc. Read it as an invocation if you like. Give it a moment to seep in. Also include the Maha Mantra here, as that is the most potent prayer of all prayers. “Hare Krishna, Hare Krishna, Krishna Krishna Hare Hare, Hare Rama Hare Rama, Rama Rama Hare Hare.” Adding this to your invocations and anywhere else will increase the potency of any prayer!

Pranama’s. Here, we fold our hands into the prayer position. Don’t press them too hard together, but hold them loosely and relaxed. This part facilitates energy, and you may discover a sense of peace and centeredness, sometimes with an increase in spiritual awareness, other times not. However more important is the humble attitude this mudra helps one to remember. The two hands form a triangle as if to connect to the Spiritual Sky, the head is kept bowed, and preferably eyes are shut which facilitates deep, sincere words.

Next, Concentration. Control the mind; don’t space out. :-) When we do not allow the mind to wander, the more success we will receive through prayer. We tend to find that the mind strays off at times and thinks of something else. Don’t let it disturb you, just quietly pull it back to where ‘you’ want it to be. Although I say ‘concentrate,’ this is not a type of red faced, or ‘veins popping out of the forehead’ type of concentration. It is a very relaxed state of mind, a gentle focus, and refocusing when necessary.

Now we look to the heart. All prayer should come from the heart. It must be sincere, deeply intended, deeply felt, and to give it all you’ve got. This is not draining when properly done. If anything it is the opposite! You will be energized! However, if one practices everything written on this page but their heart is insincere, the rest will not work. Nothing will. This is the importance of the heart, it must be genuine.

Please note: When people request prayer, we will be asked to pray for specifics. Some need a broken leg mended, others need a broken heart mended, yet others have a relative with emotional issues. The list is long. We can and should prayer for whatever it is they ask us, since that is the type of service we state we offer. Then we can follow it up with “Whatever You, Lord Krishna, feel is for the higher good of this Person.” Or similar. You can create your own, of course.

SAMPLE PRAYER:

For those who would like to see a sample prayer, possibly to give ideas to compose your own, here is one I have used. You can use it if you like, or modify it, etc.

(First I offer obeisances to Srila Prabhupada, then the Pancha Tattva mantra, and always include “Hare Krishna” within a prayer &/or to end it.)

“My Dear Srila Prabhupada and Lord Sri Krishna,

Please accept my humble obeisances at your lotus feet. I can do nothing without You. If I may do some small thing, please grant me permission to be used as Your Instrument. If You so desire or will allow, & if it’s beneficial, may (state recipients name, Etc.) be healed or helped with (whatever they requested). And if nothing else, I pray to You for their highest good, that they may find their way to You, or You may grant mercy so they can understand You are the Supreme Personality of Godhead and chant Your Holy Name. Thank You.”

What about the times you can’t give it your all, but would like to say a quick, little prayer for someone? No problem. Then say exactly that to Krishna, as you would anyone else. Simply be honest with Him, and that’s all any of us need to do regarding prayer.

Example: “This is all I have to give today dear Krishna, but I do wish so-and-so the best, and if You don’t mind, would you send them whatever You find their need to be? Including Yourself? Thank you.”

Most will feel an increase in spiritual awareness and/or potency in their prayer after utilizing the above guideline. However, some will not ‘feel’ anything. Does this mean your prayers aren’t being heard? Not in the last! They are heard just as much as those who feel something. This same problem sometime arises with those who practice Reiki or Pranic Healing, where they do not feel the ki or prana coming through their hands, and question their healing ability. However, there has been significant evidence that healers who don’t pick up on the vibrations still heal as well as any of the other healer who do. As long as they work, it does. Prayer is the same. As long as you pray, God/Krishna listens.

Do not be attached to the results. Don’t worry about then, don’t think about them. This does not mean to become hard hearted - not in the least. Just that you did you job, now let go and let God.

Scientific studies have proven that prayer works. Even when the recipient is not informed they are being prayed for! So never doubt, and please pray for those in need. It is a wonderful way to perform devotional service, as to serve the Lord is great, but to serve the devotees of the Lord, shastra (scripture) says this pleases Him the most! Imagine, if you can send prayers to help a devotee who turns out to be an expert (sane, kind hearted) book distributor, what benefit you will receive! Of course, we are not the doer, we are only asking to serve. Then Krishna lets us serve so we can get closer and closer to Him.

There is no specific order for the above method. You can mix them, add to them, subtract, etc. As Lord Sri Chaitanya (the most merciful incarnation of Krishna) has told us, there are no hard and fast rules – simply chant the Holy Names of Krishna. I have merely given a guideline here to give idea’s which hopefully will help folks out a bit.

Your Servant,

Prtha (Priitaa) d.d.

(Prayer is not a substitute for japa (chanting Hare Krishna). To chant japa each day is first and foremost of importance. Only after we chant our rounds should we then serve others in this way. And will be stronger too.)

So all the souls will eventually reach the Lord again? Or will they be just liberated and again fall back?

Krsna prabhu and Raghavan prabhu, thanks for that information. That prayer by Prtha (Priitaa) d.d will surely be helpful, thanks again.

Hare Krsna

In this world the fully convinced state is non-existent. We are, therefore, compelled in all cases to act on make-believes viz. the so-called working hypotheses.

Srila Bhaktisiddhanta

How can you be sincere in the non-fully convinced state, (In the conditioned state ,under the 3 modes of nature)?

Are your convictions only based on acts of make-believes or pretense ?

/images/graemlins/confused.gif

Kinda like a man falling off a cliff and someone manages to grab one of his hands which prevents his immediate doom. The man feels as though he has been saved, but really much work remains to get him to the safe secure ground above. Hang on tight and know that He Who has grabbed you is strong enough to pull you up.

What else can we do?

That is a good understanding of our position. I would suggest treasuring it.

Only one who can learn the process of nescience and that of transcendental knowledge side by side can transcend the influence of repeated birth and death, and enjoy the full blessings of immortality. - Sri Isopanisad Mantra 11