IndiaDivine.org
Sign in to follow this  
Pankaja_Dasa

Prayers Before Starting Japa

Rate this topic

Prayers Before Starting Japa

Reciting the following prayers before chanting japa will purify the mind, create a feeling of humility, and establish the mood of service (seva-bhava) in the heart. Meditate deeply on the meaning of these important prayers and try to memorize them. One can maintain the proper mood of humility during japa by remembering the meaning of these prayers while chanting Hare Krsna.

nähaà vipro na ca nara-patir näpi vaiçyo na çüdro

nähaà varëé na ca gåha-patir no vanastho yatir vä

kintu prodyan-nikhila-paramänanda-pürnämåtäbdher

gopé-bhartuù pada-kamalayor däsa-däsänudäsaù

I am a pure spirit soul. I am not a brahmana, ksatriya, vaisya or a sudra. Nor am I a brahmacari, grhastha, vanaprastha or a sannayasi. I am nothing more than a servant of the servant of the servant of the lotus feet of Sri Krsna, the maintanier of the gopis. Krsna is an ocean of nectar and the cause of universal transcendental bliss. He always exists with brilliance. (Cc. Madhya 13.80)

I am by nature the eternal servant of Krsna. But because of my bad fortune, I have been inimical toward Krsna from time immemorial. Identifying with my body, I have been continuously wandering in the cycle of birth and death in the material world, suffering the burning three-fold miseries. As a result of some unimaginable good fortune I have attained the mercy of my spiritual master, and now I know that I am Krsna's eternal servant. I am an infinitesimal spiritual being completely apart from the gross and subtle body. I have obtained the good fortune of serving the lotus feet of Sri Guru. Under his order, I am following in his footsteps to serve the lotus feet of Sri Caitanya Mahaprabhu and Gandharvika-Giridhari [or the names of the your personal Deities]. (Pancaratra Pradipa)

O Radha-Govinda! I will adorn my neck with the incomparably beautiful garland of Your holy names. Please make tears fall uncontrollably from my eyes. Please once and for all free me from illusion and submerge me repeatedly in the waves of the nectar ocean of Your holy names. Please protect me and give me unflinching devotion to Your lotus feet. I offer my continual obeisances unto You. (Gaura Govindarcana Smarana Paddhati)

From 'The Art of Chanting' by Mahanidhi Swami Page 125 Prayers and the Holy Name

Guest guest

Dear H.H. Mahanidhi Maharaja or others, who say that?, Srila Prabhupada dosen t mention something like this, from where?

One should be very humble and meek to offer one's desires and chant prayers composed in glorification of the holy name, such as ayi mukta-kulair upasyamanam and nivrtta-tarsair upagiyamanad [sB 10.1.4]. One should chant such prayers to become free from offenses at the lotus feet of the holy name.

'Srimad-Bhagavatam 7.5.23-24