IndiaDivine.org
Sign in to follow this  
theist

drifting along, singing a song & feeling good in the neighborhood

Rate this topic

Dangerous tendancy. Do you find yourself comfortable in the "Krsna conscious" lifestyle? Having given up on the hard work of facing the demons within that are blocking our actual surrender to the Lord? It can be easy to just settle back and cruise, feeling complacent. Things are really pretty good right? Pictures of Krsna on all the walls at home. Chanting and reading everyday. Attending the temple functions. We become familiar with the routine, we know how to act in the temple room on Sunday as we visit with old friends, "Ah, the good old days...". "Yeah we are not fully Krsna conscious but we used to sell books and chant everyday on the street plus we follow most of the rules even now and avoid major screw ups so we will probably get to heaven at least. That's not so bad. At least we are not meat eaters anymore."

You all know what I mean. The hard serious internal work gets set aside for later. Which of course means the actual taste for the prem of Krsna becomes kind of put on the back burner for a while.

Is this an example of the trap of becoming conditioned by the mode of goodness that Krsna spoke of in the Bhagavad-gita?

"we follow most of the rules"

...you mean like "no beer on Ekadasi"? /images/graemlins/smile.gif

seriously folks - there is nothing wrong with feeling good about being in (more or less) Krishna Consciousness (remember BG: "KC is joyously performed).

lets leave the guilt trips where they belong: in judeo-christian traditions /images/graemlins/smile.gif

about the beer on ekadasi. No problem for me though as I switched to non-alcholic brews long ago. /images/graemlins/smile.gif I still like the taste.

I can't help thinking that you missed my point though. There is no heavy feeling of guilt when conditioned by the mode of goodness. Nor am I trying to instill one on anybody.

Just food for thought.

I find that positive, happy things inspire people much better than guilt and fear, however subtle. Heck, in a good company of devotees even I might surrender one day. (and yes, I do know what you mean, but I chose so see things somewhat differently)

Yeah the social aspect is there. We all like it and tend to settle down in it. You kind of make my point actually.

You misunderstand the value of guilt though and that was never the intention of this thread.

The point was honest serious introspection.