IndiaDivine.org
Sign in to follow this  
Gauracandra

Do all paths lead to the same result?

Rate this topic

This week's Srila Siddhaswarupananda television program addresses the question: Do all paths lead to the same result?

In the Sri Isopanishad it is stated that one who worships the demigods will go to the demigods and one who worships God will go to God. There is a particular result based on the endeavor one undertakes.

So we do not accept this idea that all paths lead to the same place. Those that state this are actually saying that God is formless and devoid of personality. Guys like Rajneesh say this but they don’t hand out pictures of dogs. They give out pictures of Rajneesh. If we sent them pictures of me they would not hand these out. “All paths lead to the same place but my path is the best.”

Audience Member: I knew a number of psychics. I went to this one church where this lady spent her whole life communicating with ghosts and they say when she died she became a ghost.

Srila Siddhaswarupananda: Yes, she developed ghost consciousness. These mediums do things like having sex with ghosts. But it wasn’t really a ghost, it was a guy in the dark [laughter]. They are following these rascals. Learn to have no hang-ups and have sex with ghosts. They are simply ghosts.

Audience Member: I was talking to this guy about chanting God’s names. What about some tribe in Africa that have their own name for God.

Srila Siddhaswarupananda: God has many names. Everyone has their own language. You say “Africa” like in Africa they don’t have God’s names but in America we do. The sound vibration represents the Lord. Right now I’m not speaking Sanskrit. English isn’t some holy language. But since I am glorifying the Supreme Person therefore there is spiritual power. No one anywhere is separate from God. If someone in this life cannot come in contact with devotees they will one day. Take a long-term view. Its not your fault that you didn’t come in contact with Billy Graham.

So when you die and go to heaven and God says “Have you accepted Jesus Christ?” and you are from Africa and you’ve never heard of Jesus and don’t speak English, therefore you are damned.

Even tribals experience God through contact with nature. God does not make it so some can know him and some cannot. We see time as eternal. If you don’t come in contact with devotees in this life, then at some point you will. God isn’t making an arbitrary choice. Those who do not accept the reality of reincarnation cannot understand this.

Audience Member: I have heard that Bhakti-yoga is the culmination of all yoga.

Srila Siddhaswarupananda: All yogic practices are meant to lead to the Supreme Person. Hatha yoga (breathing, stretching) is meant to calm the mind to have one pointed thinking of God. Jnana yoga is knowledge to understand our relationship with God. What is the practical application of knowledge? You should understand your identity and position. Bhakti yoga is loving service toward God. Sometime a person is called a Hatha yogi, or a Jnana yogi. This just means they’ve stopped at that stage but they don’t apply it. Bhakti yoga means acting on what we know to be the truth.