Guest guest

Shiva vs Vishnu -- According to Shiva Purana

Rate this topic

Guest guest

Sadashiva and Vishnu -- SAME

http://www.gita-society.com/temple/HinduPuranas16.htm#shiva

LORD SHIVA PREPARES FOR THE BATTLE

GANAS THRONG MANDAR MOUNTAIN

Pulastya says- "When Lord Shiva became aware of Andhak's imminent attack, he requested Nandi to summon all the Ganas who were more than 700 crores in number. Some of the prominent Ganas like Pashupat, Kalmukh, Mahavrati, Digambar, Maini, Mahapashupat and Vrishabhdhwaj arrived at Mandar Mountain to help Lord Shiva at the request of Nandi.

On seeing the valiant Gana- Pashupat, Lord Shiva embraced him, which surprised all the other Ganas. They were amazed at the special honor given to him. Lord Shiva realised their astonishment and said- "Although all of you have great devotion towards me but in your ignorance, you have shown disrespect towards Lord Vishnu. <font color="red">All of you except Pashupat don't realise that both of us (Lord Shiva and Vishnu) are inseparable and there is no difference between us.</font color> Pashupat is aware of this and hence he has been accorded the highest honor." Having said this, Lord Shiva revealed his majestic form of Sadashiva to the Ganas. The Ganas were bewildered on seeing the whole universe existing within Sadashiva. Lord Sadashiva then transformed his appearance into that of Lord Vishnu. The Ganas also viewed the forms of deities like Indra, Surya and Lord Brahma etc. in him. They were now convinced that both Lord Shiva and Lord Vishnu were the same. The dawning of this realisation liberated them from their ignorance. Lord Shiva blessed the Ganas and embraced them. All the Ganas then took their position all around Mandar Mountain and readied themselves for the forthcoming attack

Guest guest

http://www.gita-society.com/temple/HinduPuranas16.htm#shiva

THE GREATNESS OF PRANAV MANTRA

Regarding the methods of Shiva's worship, Kartikeya told Vamadeva that though Sadashiva was one, yet he was known by various names like Maheshwar, Rudra, Brahma and Vishnu. Mahesh was created from the thousandth part of Sadashiva. The goddess of all illusions - Bhagawati dwells in the left side of Sadashiva, therefore he is the lord of all the actions of the universe. Sadashiva plays his desire acts by indulging in creation, nurturement and annihilation of this world

Guest guest

^^^by the way, that was NOT from the original poster... just from an otherwise silent observer.. /images/graemlins/wink.gif

Guest guest

http://www.mandala.com.au/brhad/2_3.htm

2.3.-

58-9 "Conquered by the devotion of his friend Kuvera, from his own abode, which is like himself, and which is attained by the devotion of they who see that Lord Shiva and Lord Krsna are not different, he is now going, along with his beloved Parvati and his many associates, to decorate Mount Kailasa."

60 Sri Gopa-kumara said: Hearing this, I became happy, and I desired to get the blissful mercy of Lord Shiva.

61 Understanding my heart, Lord Shiva gave a meaningful glance to Nandi. Nandi then explained to me the pure truth, which was at once manifested before me.

Srila Sanatana Gosvami explains that the fact that Lord Krsna and Lord Shiva are not different was the truth manifested to Gopa-kumara.

62 The truth was that Lord Shiva, who increases one's love for Lord Krsna, is not different from Lord Madana-Gopala, my Lord, who is more dear to me than life.

63 I happily joined their company and all of Lord Shiva's associates treated me well. From Sri Nandi I heard of Lord Shiva's extraordinary glories.

64 Always in the same form, Lord Shiva stays in his own abode eternally. There he is always seen by his devotees, who have faith in him alone, and who are pleased to stay in his abode.

65 He is always filled with devotion for Lord Krsna, who is not different from him. With singing, dancing, and other pastimes he delights his associates.

66 Although he is the Lord of the universes, Lord Shiva always worships thousand-headed Lord Sesa with great love, as if he were His servant.

Srila Sanatana Gosvami explains that this is described in Srimad-Bhagavatam 5.17.16

67 Even though I became very happy to hear of the supreme glories of Shivaloka, still I noticed that my heart felt empty.

Srila Sanatana Gosvami explains that Gopa-kumara still yearned to see the lotus feet of Lord Madana-Gopala.

68 Thinking about the reason for this, by the power of my service to the mantra my guru gave, I suddenly understood.

69 The absence of the pastimes and glories of Lord Madana-Gopala's lotus feet gave me pain.

<font color="red">70 Then I told my mind that because he is the same as Lord Madana-Gopala, Lord Shiva himself has performed these wonderful pastimes, although in a different form.</font color>

71-2 Seeing it was still unhappy, I said to my mind: Although you have not yet seen in Lord Shiva the sweetness of Lord Madana-Gopala's form and other glories, still, your long-cherished desire to see them will certainly be fulfilled by Lord Shiva's mercy

1.2.-

94 The Supreme Personality of Godhead Krishna becomes conquered by the loving service of devotees like myself, and for this reason He resides on my planet, on Svargaloka, and in many other places as well, and enjoys suitable pastimes there. (In the same way Shiva resides in Kailasa because of the devotion of Kuvera.)

95 I quote the opinion of Vayu Purana

"The planet of Shiva is beyond the seven-fold coverings of the material world. It is eternal, transcendental, and full of bliss. Only the greatest servants of Shiva may enter it."

96 In that place Shiva is decorated with splendid transcendental garments and ornaments. There He is the master of great powers and opulences, and there he is surrounded by many associates as splendid and glorious as he.

97 <font color="red">In that place, even though the two of them are not different, Shiva worships the supremely powerful and opulent Lord Sankarsana as his chosen Deity. Is this not very wonderful?</font color>

Srila Rupa Gosvami writes in Laghu Bhagavatamrta 31

...vayavyadisu saiveyam shivaloke pradarshita

'In the Vayu and other Puranas he is shown to be in Shiva loka.'

Baladeva Vidyabhusana in his tika on Laghu Bhagavatamrta comments - shiva loke vaikuntha dhamni - 'In Shiva Loka means in Vaikuntha dhama'.

Visvanatha Cakravarti's Bhagavatamrta Kana 6

However, the personality of Sadasiva, is a plenary portion (vilas-vigraha: as distinct from svamsa expansions which are endowed with a smaller degree of potency from the original Godhead) of the self-same form of the Supreme Lord, Sri Krsna, and He is transcendental to the three modes of material nature. It is from Him that the gunavatar of Siva is expanded. Therefore He should be understood to be superior to Brahma, <font color="red">equal to Lord Visnu</font color>, and entirely separate from jivas, who are influenced by the material modes of nature

Guest guest

Gaura Gannodesha Dipika by Shrila Kavi Karnapura:

76. Lord Sadasiva, who formerly appeared as an avesa-incarnation in Vrajabhumi, appeared in Lord Gauranga's pastimes as Lord Advaita Gosvami, who is non-different from Lord Gauranga Himself

CC Adi 6.6: Sri Advaita Acarya is indeed directly the Supreme Personality of Godhead Himself. His glory is beyond the conception of ordinary living beings.

CC Adi 6.7: Maha-Vishnu performs all the functions for the creation of the universes. Sri Advaita Acarya is His direct incarnation.

CC Adi 6.10: Sri Advaita Acarya is a plenary part of that purusha and so is not different from Him. Indeed, Sri Advaita Acarya is not separate but is another form of that purusha.

CC Adi 6.11: He [Advaita Acarya] helps in the pastimes of the purusha, with whose material energy and by whose will He creates innumerable universes.

CC Adi 6.13: Maha-Vishnu creates the entire material world with millions of His parts, energies and incarnations.

CC Adi 6.14-15: Just as the external energy consists of two parts -- the efficient cause [nimitta] and the material cause [upadana], maya being the efficient cause and pradhana the material cause -- so Lord Vishnu, the Supreme Personality of Godhead, assumes two forms to create the material world with the efficient and material causes.

CC Adi 6.16: Lord Vishnu Himself is the efficient [nimitta] cause of the material world, and Narayana in the form of Sri Advaita is the material cause [upadana].

CC Adi 6.17: Lord Vishnu, in His efficient aspect, glances over the material energy, and Sri Advaita, as the material cause, creates the material world.

CC Adi 6.19: The Lord infuses the material ingredients with His own creative potency. Then, by the power of the Lord, creation takes place.

CC Adi 6.20: In the form of Advaita He infuses the material ingredients with creative energy. Therefore, Advaita is the original cause of creation.

CC Adi 6.21: Sri Advaita Acarya is the creator of millions and millions of universes, and by His expansions [as Garbhodakasayi Vishnu] He maintains each and every universe

Shvetashvatara Upanishad V-2: He alone (Shiva-Vishnu) presides over Nature in all aspects, and controls every form and every cause of production. He (Shiva-Vishnu, as as Garbhodakasayi expansion) witnesses the birth of the first born seer of golden colour (Brahma) and nourishes him with wisdom

SB 4.6.43: My dear lord (Shiva), you create this cosmic manifestation, maintain it, and annihilate it by an expansion of your personality, exactly as a spider creates, maintains and winds up its web

CC Adi 6.24: This verse describes that the limbs and plenary portions of the Lord are all spiritual; They have no relationship with the material energy.

CC Adi 6.25: Why has Sri Advaita been called a limb and not a part? The reason is that "limb" implies greater intimacy.

CC Adi 6.26: Sri Advaita, who is a reservoir of virtues, is the main limb of Maha-Vishnu. His full name is Advaita, for He is identical in all respects with that Lord

CC Adi 6.27: As He had formerly created all the universes, now He descended to introduce the path of bhakti.

CC Adi 6.28: He delivered all living beings by offering the gift of krishna-bhakti. He explained the Bhagavad-gita and Srimad-Bhagavatam in the light of devotional service.

CC Adi 6.29: Since He has no other occupation than to teach devotional service, His name is Advaita Acarya.

CC Adi 6.30: He is the spiritual master of all devotees and is the most revered personality in the world. By a combination of these two names, His name is Advaita Acarya.

CC Adi 6.31: Since He is a limb or part of the lotus-eyed Supreme Lord, He also bears the name Kamalaksha.

CC Adi 6.32: His associates have the same bodily features as the Lord. They all have four arms and are dressed in yellow garments like Narayana.

CC Adi 6.33: Sri Advaita Acarya is the principal limb of the Supreme Lord. His truths, names and attributes are all wonderful.

CC Adi 6.34: He worshiped Krishna with tulasi leaves and water of the Ganges and called for Him in a loud voice. Thus Lord Caitanya Mahaprabhu appeared on earth, accompanied by His personal associates.

CC Adi 6.35: It is through Him [Advaita Acarya] that Lord Caitanya spread the sankirtana movement and through Him that He delivered the world.

CC Adi 6.36: The glory and attributes of Advaita Acarya are unlimited. How can the insignificant living entities fathom them?

Guest guest

CC Adi 6.32: His associates have the same bodily features as the Lord. They all have four arms and are dressed in yellow garments like Narayana

Brihad Bhagavatamrita 1.3.23. Lord Krishna at once stopped from killing him (Banasura), became pleased with him, and gave him a form like His own. Then He made him your personal associate, a state even the demigods cannot attain.

Part One,

Chapter Three: Prapancatita Nama (Beyond the Material

World)

1-3 Seeing Lord Shiva who, rapt in love for Krishna, was singing and

dancing as He worshipped Lord Sankarsana, and who was also praising

his followers, headed by Nandisvara, as they were singing, playing

musical instruments, and joyfully calling out, "Jaya! Jaya!", and who was

also praising Goddess Uma as she was expertly playing the karatalas, the

sage Narada became happy, sounded his vina and bowed down to offer

respect.

4 Again and again Narada sand, "You are the great object of Lord

Krishna's mercy!" Repeating his father's words, Narada glorified Shiva in

a melodious voice.

5-6 When, eager to touch the dust of Sri Shiva's lotus feet, the sage dear

to Krishna approached him, the demigod, intoxicated by the flooding

nectar stream of love for Sri Krishna, pulled the sage to him, embraced

him, and respectfully said, "O son of Brahma, what are you saying?"

7-9 When, by conversing with Narada, the best of Vaishnavas, Shiva,

who is the lord of Parvati's life, became plunged in the nectar of

transcendental bliss, stopped his ecstatic dancing, retired with a few

intimate associates, and sat in the virasana yoga-posture on a kusa-grass

seat, with great devotion Narada bowed down to offer respect to him and

recited many prayers describing his glory as the master of the universe.

Then he sang of Lord Krishna's great mercy to Shiva.

10 Covering his ears, Shiva, the best of all Vaishnavas,

the preacher of devotion for Lord Vishnu, very angrily said:

11 I have never been the master of the universe, and I am not the object of

Lord Krishna's mercy. I always yearn for the mercy of the servants of the

servants of Lord Krishna.

12 Sri Pariksit said: Bewildered, Narada stopped his prayer of Shiva's

identity with Krishna. Thinking himself an offender, he slowly said:

13 Sri Narada said: Lord, in truth you both understand and preach the

great mystery of the glories of Lord Vishnu and His devotees.

14 For this reason the best of Vaishnavas yearn for your mercy and Lord

Krishna Himself is pleased with you and wholeheartedly chants your

glories.

15 How many times did Lord Krishna, assuming many different forms,

worship you with devotion? How many benedictions did He take from

you?

16 Sri Pariksit said: Unable to remain peaceful while hearing these words,

the embarrassed Shiva suddenly rose from his seat and with both hands

covered Narada's mouth. "Don't speak this reckless nonsense about me,"

he said.

17 Struck with wonder, Shiva loudly said: O sage, you should see the

inconceivable power and opulence of the Supreme Lord's transcendental

pastimes!

18 Ah! My Lord is a wonderful deep ocean of transcendental glory. Even

though I have many times offended Him, He does not become averse to

me.

19 Sri Pariksit said: Filled with bliss, Narada touched Shiva's feet, made

him sit down, and continued his glorification of Shiva, who is always

plunged in the nectar of devotion to Lord Krishna.

20 Sri Narada said: You are very dear to the infallible Supreme

Personality of Godhead. You have never offended Him. In the eyes of the

common people you may seem to have sometimes offended Him but He

does not see any offense in you.

21-3 When a demon named Bana, who was your devotee, who was very

proud of the strength of his arms, and who brought many troubles to the

saintly devotees, captured and bound Aniruddha with his mystic power, he

fought with Lord Krishna, the holder of the cakra. Losing the fight with

the Lord, Bana was almost dead, but he was saved by you, who prayed

that his life be spared. Lord Krishna at once stopped from killing him,

became pleased with him, and gave him a form like His own. Then He

made him your personal associate, a state even the demigods cannot attain.

24 When Gargya and other enemies of the Vaishnavas worshipped you

with severe austerities, you granted them a clever benediction that proved

to be no benediction at all.

25 Even though Citraketu and many others had offended you, because

they took shelter of Lord Krishna you were not angry with them.

26 You desire only the satisfaction of Lord Krishna. You eloquently pray

only to remain a pure devotee of Lord Krishna.

27 For this reason the Supreme Personality of Godhead gave to you and

goddess Durga the power to grant the liberation prayed for by Brahma and

the demigods.

28 Living as an ascetic, you have a low opinion of all the

happiness found in your power and opulence, which is greater than that of Brahma and all the demigods.

29 Who else, filled with ecstatic love for Lord Vishnu and clothed in only

the ten directions, would dance as a madman with his wife and friends?

30 Today I have seen the wonderful glory of your intense desire to attain

pure devotional service to the Supreme Personality of Godhead. This

desire has made you eternally very dear to Lord Krishna.

31 What more can I say? You are very dear to Lord Krishna, and by your

mercy many others have also become dear to Him.

32 By Parvati's mercy also many have become dear to Lord Krishna. She knows very perfectly the truth about you both (Shiva and Krishna). Lord Krishna loves her as if she were His own sister. For this reason, even though you are very renounced and advanced in spiritual life, you have great respect for her.

By the way click Signature link to download this book:

/images/graemlins/frown.gif

But all this confuces me when I read.. offences to the Holy Name, please somebody recify my stupid mind..

2. In this material world the holy name of Vishnu is all-auspicious. Vishnu's name, form, qualities, and pastimes are all transcendental, absolute knowledge. Therefore, if one tries to separate the Absolute Personality of Godhead from His holy name or His transcendental form, qualities, and pastimes, thinking them material, that is offensive. Similarly, to think that the names of demigods such as Lord Siva are as good as the name of Lord Vishnu is also blasphemous.

Also we believe in achintya bheda bheda tattva.

Mahaprabhu said this Himself. But devotees are always one with Krishna they are never apart from Him.

Lord Siva whom is difficult to understand just as our own Prabhupada is, or any Acharya or Vaishnava is. We would never dare to say Prabhupada is different from Krishna we don't say this. We say he is devotee of Krishna. Servant of Servant to be more precise. Look above even Lord Siva says this, same thing, over years people have twisted meanings to say Lord Siva is greatest even great than Vishnu. But Gaudiya Vaishnava's don't dis-believe this they pray to Lord Siva and Lord Krishna both. They know this secret that they are always without each other thats why they are the same. But I still don't understand names part.:)

Guest guest

Visvanatha Cakravarti's Madhurya Kadambini (third shower)-

Due to the non-similarity of caitanya, Visnu and Brahma are different. Sometimes Puranas describe the nondifference of Visnu and Brahma. This nondifference may be considered like that of the sun and the suryakanta-mani, the stone empowered by the sunlight. In some mahakalpas, like Brahma-kalpa, some jiva empowered by the Lord becomes Siva. Sastras say, “Sometimes a jiva is also empowered as Siva or Brahma.” sastra also says, “One who considers Lord Narayana, the Supreme among demigods, as equal to Brahma, Rudra, and other demigods is certainly an atheist.” <font color="red">This sastric evidence will be considered proper when Siva and Brahma are both in the category of eminent jivas.</font color>

Those who have not discussed these truths say, “Visnu is the only Lord, not Siva”, “Siva is the only Lord, not Visnu.” “We are the sole devotees of Visnu and will not see Siva.” "We are the sole devotees of Siva and will not see Visnu.” Their minds thus absorbed in arguments, they commit offense. If in time, such offenders get the association of sadhus expert in discussing all these truths and are enlightened by them, they can also realize the nondifference of Siva and the Lord. Then by doing nama-kirtana, their aparadha is nullified.

Guest guest

Does anyone know which towns in India are or were previously known as Vishnukanthi and Shivakanthi? There is a heated debate between these two towns as to who is superior. At least Lord Chaitanya and Lord Nityananda met these raging quarrels and they both laughed very loudly and went their way without making any comment or tryiny to settle the quarrel. Can someone explain why? The Shiva Purana is not even considered a purana in many puranas and at most a purana in the mode of darkness. Can you imagine that in the Shiva purana Lord Shiva in the form of Sharabda bird killed Lord Nrisimhadeva is is presently wearing His skin?

Guest guest

Laghu Bhagavatamrita

298 Lord Siva, who is known as Sadasiva and Sambhu, is manifest in the northeast part of Vaikunthaloka

Srila Rupa Gosvami writes in Laghu Bhagavatamrta 31

...vayavyadisu saiveyam shivaloke pradarshita

'In the Vayu and other Puranas he is shown to be in Shiva loka.'

Baladeva Vidyabhusana in his tika on Laghu Bhagavatamrta comments - shiva loke vaikuntha dhamni - 'In Shiva Loka means in Vaikuntha dhama'.

Guest guest

Gaudiya vaishnavs worship Lord Shiva???

I'm hearing this for the first time. Do they worship Lord Shiva in Iskcon??

Can you state any example (not the Vankhandi Mahadev one! or the one in Govardhan). I will be very greatful to you.

I want to know more. Thank you.

Also we believe in achintya bheda bheda tattva.

Mahaprabhu said this Himself. But devotees are always one with Krishna they are never apart from Him.

Lord Siva whom is difficult to understand just as our own Prabhupada is, or any Acharya or Vaishnava is. We would never dare to say Prabhupada is different from Krishna we don't say this. We say he is devotee of Krishna. Servant of Servant to be more precise. Look above even Lord Siva says this, same thing, over years people have twisted meanings to say Lord Siva is greatest even great than Vishnu. But Gaudiya Vaishnava's don't dis-believe this they pray to Lord Siva and Lord Krishna both. They know this secret that they are always without each other thats why they are the same. But I still don't understand names part.:)

Guest guest

Gaudiya vaishnavs worship Lord Shiva???

I'm hearing this for the first time. Do they worship Lord Shiva in Iskcon??

Can you state any example (not the Vankhandi Mahadev one! or the one in Govardhan). I will be very greatful to you.

I want to know more. Thank you.

Siva ratrti?

Guest guest

Sastra pramana on Siva tattwa.

From intorduction:

"...Most of the great scholars and realized devotees seem to agree on one thing: Śiva is a complex and very special tattva. In the hearts of devotees on bhakti yoga path certain questions may arise. Who is Lord Śiva? What is His relationship to Śri Kṛṣṇa? Should I approach Lord Śiva? Who is He in Vraja-lila? What is His true and constitutional position?

This text addresses these exact questions..."

Contents:

sribabaji.org/portal/staticpages/index.php?page=harihara