IndiaDivine.org
Sign in to follow this  
Guest guest

A guy preaching to me about christanity.

Rate this topic

Guest guest

hare krishna.

I am 19 years old, and I have been posting about things like problems, songs, drawings for a long time now as a guest, but that doesnt matter.

Well I been trying to follow the gita for a good year and a half now, and I can say, that god truly graced me, and I am honored to be able to chant the name of god.

My family had arranged to meet up with a christian man who follows his fate very carefully, he is a good man, no doubt about it. The first time we meet up we were suppose to go play soccer, well it ended up being us just talking about our religious difference, of course him being 20 years older then me, he had way more experince then me, and of course his words where blowing mine away. I of course argued about it, but I couldent say much because all I have is read the gita and nothing else. He was telling me how recranation is not true, and that the only true way is jesus christ. I argued that what if jesus was just a fony, a david hassleoff of the old rome time, he of course replyed with a ready reharsed answere. I asked him, if he would want to go to the hindu temple in los angels next week and he agreed only if i would go to church with him next week.

Week pass by, we meet up on a sunday morning, and drove to the hindu temple, we came kinda late as the session was already done, but atleast I got to see the devotiess, and the great krishna avatars. I had a enmorus feeling of peace, and love in there. I dident get to talk to any devotiess, because we were gonne leave. We went to a church, and he wannet to stay there for an hour, we went in and everyone started to sing and preach and etc, all of them white people that seemed to have such big egos about who they are in this world and how much wealth they have gained. 5 mins into it, I said, I really want to leave, and so we did. He asked me if I wannet to go to church next week and I said sure, because I really wannet to be nice because he drove me all the way to see krishnas temple.

A week later we finally went to play soccer, He of course preached and preached about jesus, while I was just aruging about his excisted. After the soccer game he said, Ill pick u up at 12:30 and we'll go to a 1 hour and 30 mins long church session. I told him, to be honest, and truthfull, I dont belive in jesus, and the bible, and problay all my life I wont. Then I said, that to be truthfull, I dont want to go to church today, and he said isyour choice, im not forcing you, but right after he started to preach for another 30 mins. I prayed to shiva to end this, and of course, shiva answered my call.

I got home and now i feel guilty for not going to church with him, because he is a nice guy and all, but really preaching, he kept telling me that I cant find the truth in hinduism and buddhaism and taoism, he said that there is no such thing as karma and recarnation, and I should accept jesus as he died for my sins.

What should i do?

Should I give chrisanity a chance? I think is bs, and I rather concertrate more on krishna then some human being that got crucified. The bible might have some storys taht can help me in everyday life, but it does not mean it is true. I dont really want to church and I dont really want to belive in chrisanity, I dont want to put my fate in jesus, I rather put my fate in radha and Krishna, in brahama and Vinshnu, and shiva, I rather put my fate in Uma and feel her love.

Should I go to church? Should I give this man a chance?

I dont have a car, so I cant really drive all the way to los angels to the sunday meetings, but I will asoones I get my license.

I just dont think going to church will get me any closer to god, then I already am.

What do the devotiess think?

What should I do?

Guide me.

I argued that what if jesus was just a fony, a david hassleoff of the old rome time, he of course replyed with a ready reharsed answere.

Srila AC Bhaktivedanta Swami Prabhupada (or any prominent Gaudiya Vaishnava acharya for that matter) has never blasphemed Jesus Christ. On the contrary, Jesus Christ is widely known as a Satyavesh avatar of Sri Krsna. Many devotees of Krsna also have a photo of Jesus on their altar or somewhere in their home.

I am seeing two problems here (and please don't take my words as criticism, but rather as advice gleaned from experience); first, your attitude toward different religions doesn't seem to jive with Sanatan Dharma and Vaishnavism. All forms of worship of God are accepted. As I said before, the acharyas had great reverence for Jesus. Remember the words of Srila Haridasa Thakur, who considered the chanting of Vishnu and Allah's names to both have great spiritual potency.

The other problem is that perhaps you're not getting enough educated sat sanga from older, more well-read devotees, otherwise you'd have heard exactly what I was telling you months and months ago. Always read the books of Srila Prabhupad and other acharyas. If the devotees in your area are not being helpful teaching you the right siddhanta, seek out the sincere helpful devotees anywhere you can.

Now let's get back to the problem at hand. You met a nice Christian, who just happens to have no reverence for Sri Krsna or Sanatan dharma. He doesn't seem to be a hostile person, but this is just how people are taught; that their religion is the one true faith, and every other is bogus. Be compassionate with him. Teach him through your good example. Even if he is 20 years your elder, then you must take a position similar to Prahlad Maharaj.

Does he ever explain WHY reincarnation and karma is not real? Does he ever quote out of the bible where it says Jesus is the ONLY path? If he hasn't said this, or provided a proper answer, INQUIRE! Most smartass athiests can have a Christian holy roller like your friend sobbing like a schoolboy within 5-10 minutes of a debate. You don't want to be quite like that, but keep it in mind. Don't try to make combat with this fellow, don't even liken it to a lila where Mahaprabhu defeated Sarvabhauma Bhattacharya. Be gentle like Prahlad, have FAITH in Sri Sri Radha Govinda and Shastra, and READ books especially where Srila Prabhupad speaks about Christianity, and you wont have this conflict anymore.

It's not a question of this religion or that one in the end. Krsna tells us in the Gita to abandon ALL varieties of religion and just surrender to Him.

I try to stay a distance from %99 of all people that agressively profess Christianity. Experience has taught me that it is no use talking to them as they aren't really listening anyway. And when they speak they usually spit some blasphemy into my ears concerning Krsna. We must be very careful about this.

I also avoid talking in depth to those that consider themselves Hindu's as they are often Mayavadi's. It is also useless but most are not blasphemous towards Christ. Although lately that disease has been spreading. If you want to advance in Krsna consciousness then you must avoid such talk. Just like you take a little poison with your meals we must avoid ALL blasphemous statemnts irregardless of the direction it may arive from.

Prabhupada's books are linked at the bottom of this page. I feel safe reading his works.

I will post a portion of a conversation he had with an American poet that may address your concerns more directly.

Jaya Yeshua! Jaya Krsna!

-----------------------

Allen Ginsberg: Well, then how would you adapt the Krsna chanting to Christianity? By seeing Krsna as Christ or Christ as Krsna and sounding Christ’s image in Krsna’s name?

Prabhupäda: Krsnaa, Christ... Of course, this question was several times put to me. Christ says that “I am son of God.” And Krsna says “I am God.” So there is no difference. Son of God and God, we respect everyone. If I respect your father, I respect you also. Do you mean to say if I disrespect your father, you’ll be pleased upon me? No. That is our philosophy. So Caitanya Mahäprabhu says that I am servant of the servant of the servant of the servant of the servant of Krsna [Cc. Madhya 13.80]. So if anyone loves Krsna, he must love Lord Jesus Christ also. And if one perfectly loves Jesus Christ he must love Krsna. If he says, “Why shall I love Krsna? I shall love Jesus Christ,” then he has no knowledge. And if one says, “Why shall I love Jesus Christ? I shall love...”, then he has also no knowledge. If one understands Krsna, then he will understand Jesus Christ. If one understands Jesus Christ, you’ll understand Krsna. - conv. May 12,1969

He was telling me how recranation is not true, and that the only true way is jesus christ.

--- I always felt that the only way that Jesus could be the only way is if people could reincarnate and have the chance to find out about Christianity. Otherwise it makes God look a little cruel to put some people in Saudi Arabia, Some in China, some in the USA, with only one chance to find Jesus. Unless God gives multiple chances, then how can Christians justify this? Oh well, it doesn't really matter. No use in fighting. Each person has his or her own way of looking at God, relating to God, and God is happy to appear to us as we need Him, whenever we need Him.

It all starts by understanding we are not these bodies. Then reincarnation becomes understandable. The eternal hell idea where someone gets one lifetime to surrender to Jesus and if he doesn't, or as you say, is born where he doesn't even hear of Jesus, strikes me as a great offense to the Lord. To think He is that cruel or so stupid he can't figure out a way to eventually rescue everyone is absurd.

Guest guest

theist, this is why I decide not to go church, I dont want to be preached by christanity, and feel guilt and be afraid that I will go to hell.

I dont think is right for me, I rather come to the hindu temple every sunday and hang out with the devoties at 6 am in the morning, then go to a church and stay there for 5 mins.

Guest guest

It sounds to me like you find this guy intimidating. Do you? It's more important to follow your heart than an obligation.

Any religion that is a product of duress will not take you very far.

Guest guest

From my understanding of Christianity, Jesus came with a great mission, but most of His teachings were modified and original bible has been edited several times inn course of times according to the convenience of the people. Originally Jesus did advocated non-vegetarianism, reincarnation and He advocated people to follow Him implying that follow the truth.

But most christians grossly misunderstood and started thinking that whatever sins we do, we can give it to Jesus and He will take care and this only increased the atrocities and ego among them and christian based countries have no spirituality in real sense.

In original bible, Jesus advocated morality and celebacy before marriage, but hardly christians follow this howmuch ever they go to church.

So the problem is not with Jesus but with the preachers and since they dont impose anything properly, but rather in a boring monotonous way, people just visit church as a part of duty or even as part of their meeting with friends to get to know other families, rather than following the real values.

Real spirituality lies in giving up the ego and surrendering oneself to the Supreme. Certainly many Hindus irrespective of whether they read Gita or not, is still being followed in India and also elsewhere.

Thats why Hindusism attracts constantly many people around the world inspite of many invasions and destructions and damage done to sanathana Dharma and to India over centuries by muslims/mughals and the westerners.

Thats the beauty of Sanathana Dharma. It takes the soul gradually from material world into the spiritual world in one's life.

I am a Hindu, but have visited church good number of times during my school education and also after I understood Sanathana Dharma much clearly, I had been for Jesus since He followed Principles of Gita and preached them to people, but I dont listen to the preachings of the present day christians howmuch ever they claim to be really religious.

So dont feel guilty if you could not go to church as that individual is not a realised soul in reas sense, because I know some christians who dont talk in the way as how you mentioned but gladly visit hindu temples as they realise that Supreme is one and the same.

So this individual who preach you is not right, but Jesus is not wrong. So when you have your own car, you may visit Hindu temple and also church as you wish, and follow the principles of Gita that gives you peace of mind and elevate you to higher level of thinking. You dont have to feel guilty for following Gita, because the principles taught by Jesus are nothing but Gita in its essence, but not understood by the present day christians.

Guest guest

Thank you for this great advice.

I started reading the Śrīmad Bhāgavatam, I dident get to far, but I download a 40 min reading by a devotie from the www.krishna.com site.