IndiaDivine.org
Sign in to follow this  
krsna

"If they want, I will give meat , eggs and wine also."

Rate this topic

Srila Prabhupada asked all his disciples to refrain from sinful activities, specifically the eating of meat, fish and eggs, the taking of intoxicants, engagement in illicit sex, and gambling. And yet, before coming to the West in 1965, Srila Prabhupada, like Srila Bhaktisiddhanta Sarasvati, was prepared, if need be, to relax the strict rules that govern the path of spiritual life.

In the book ‘Prabhupada at Radha Damodara’ by Mahanidhi Swami, Srila Prabhupada’s good friend Srila Bhaktivedanta Narayana Maharaja recounts how Srila Prabhupada spoke of his desire to preach in Western countries: “I will establish boarding facilities for interested people. If they want, I will give meat also, and eggs also, and wine also. I believe that after hearing Hari Nam Sankirtan (the chanting of the holy names, Hare Krishna Hare Krishna Krishna Krishna Hare Hare, Hare Rama Hare Rama Rama Rama Hare Hare) and the siksha (instructions) of Sri Chaitanya Mahaprabhu, then certainly they will reject all these things, and surely they will become pure Vaisnavas.”

Guest guest

I believe that after hearing Hari Nam Sankirtan (the chanting of the holy names, Hare Krishna Hare Krishna Krishna Krishna Hare Hare, Hare Rama Hare Rama Rama Rama Hare Hare) and the siksha (instructions) of Sri Chaitanya Mahaprabhu, then certainly they will reject all these things, and surely they will become pure Vaisnavas.”

One needn't become vegetarian before chanting. The chanting will cause one to "reject all these things" in due course.

Not that the meat eatting and drinking will continue side by side with the chanting as one advances.

He is stating that the chanting of Hare Krishna and the instructions of Lord Caitanya are sufficiently strong to clean us of these nonsense habits.

Guest guest

Prabhupad may well have been prepared to do anything and everything like his master before him, yukta vairagya, to attract the fallen souls of the west, but as it turned out prasadam did the job quite adequately.

I was not vegetarian before I came to Krishna... slowly and slowly these things drop away. You start thinking, "if Krishna doesn't eat it, why should I eat it?" then He starts to soften your heart, and you begin feeling mercy for the animals (by His grace). Then you start realizing that all these things make it more difficult to think, and you feel better when you don't consume them... you no longer have a taste for it at all. This is easier then quitting, and then turning to Krishna... being with Krishna is so satisfying, that you don't crave anything but being in His presence and glorifying Him...