IndiaDivine.org
Sign in to follow this  
krsna

If I become world famous and influential will my guru also become world famous and .?

Rate this topic

O.K. folks I'm on a first name basis with George W. and gonna have tea with Queen Liz at her palace in London...

Will Srila Prabhupada and his teachings be now taken seriously?

My guess would be no. Srila Prabhupada apparently met and spoke with many celebrities and probably not very many of them took him seriously. That is probably part of the reason Srila Prabhupada said he would be happy if all his endeavors produced even one pure devotee.

"In other words, the spiritual master awakens the sleeping living entity to his original consciousness so that he can worship Lord Visnu. This is the purpose of diksa, or initiation. Initiation means recieving the pure knowledge of spiritual consciousness."

(Caitanya-caritamrta, Madhya, 4.111, purport)

that will spark some curiousity in people. That is one of the reasons why people approach the Lord.

Fame is one opulence that can dovetailed in Krsna's service but is certainly not a necessary step that we all must follow. If it comes naturally without over endeavoring then why not.

But let's keep in mind Lord Jesus Christ. He is famous worldwide now for 2,000 years and for what? Not his worldly connections but his connection,service and love to Krsna.

Srila Prabhupada was a poor sannyasi living a room in a temple in some small villiage in India, Vrndavan, which none of us had heard of and without separate endeavor Krsna has made him worldwide famous. He was only interested in broadcasting Krsna's fame and Krsna wanted to see him glorified and honored.

I think it comes down to what our motives might be.

Apparently John Lennon didn't take Srila Prabhupada very seriously and look what John Lennon's "instant karma" got him. Sorry just a joke.

"Diksa actually means initiating a disciple with transcendental knowledge by which he becomes freed from material contamination"

(Caitanya-caritamrta, Madhya, 4.111, purport)

getting famous and respected people interested (however briefly of superficially) in Krishna Consciousness is ALWAYS GOOD for public relations. Look how many people took KC seriously because of George Harrison's interest in it...

Srila Prabhupada on fame:

"In the Narayan prayers it is said that even Brahma if not a devotee of the Lord, He is therefore insignificant, whereas even a bacteria who is a devotee of the Lord is famous."

"After many, many births, if somebody comes to understand that he is the servant of Vasudeva, that person is the most famous, and can deliver all others."

Guest guest

"Fie on him who is known through his father! Great is he who is known through his son!"---Subhashitasahastri

It's common sense, If my father does something great that doesn't reflect on me, but if I do something great that WILL reflect on him.

If I do something wrong nobody blames my son, but if my son does something wrong everyone will blame me.

Obviously it IS good for any Prabhupada disciples to become well known to the masses. Even President of the USA! If possible, then go for it. Even if you fail people will say you had guts.

But usually a look at the birthchart will reveal any possibility of global fame. If not, then forget it; if so, then get it together.

Above all Srila Prabhupada was a practical man. What we are talking about here is practical.

Guest guest

O.K. folks I'm on a first name basis with George W. and gonna have tea with Queen Liz at her palace in London...

Will Srila Prabhupada and his teachings be now taken seriously?

the important thing is that this activity is your karma and that you can turn it in yoga chanting hare krishna and accepting a spiritual master

if prabhupada's gets more fame but you fall because you associate with materialists, it is not a big advantage

Guest guest

In Niti Shastra it is stated, "Nasti kirti sama dhanam"

---there is no wealth equal to fame!

Fame without humility is like a gold setting without jewels.

So it is a great risk, a risk I'm willing to take (since 1975). I know his disciples' success would please Srila Prabhupada, but only by keeping humility as the ornament. Agreed.