IndiaDivine.org
Sign in to follow this  
Gauracandra

Charnamrita Idea

Rate this topic

I came up with a simple idea that I think is good. Why not have little paper cups in a dispenser for people to laddle charnamrita into. You know the kind of cups that are in doctor's offices when you need a shot of water to take some pills. First, I think organizationally it works well. Second, I think people coming for the first time to a temple would appreciate it.

I tried searching for the paper cups I'm talking about. I found some that were as low as 8 to 13 cents each. But these were real sturdy, almost cardboard like cups. The ones I'm thinking about are very flimsy, paperthin cups. There could be a little pull down dispenser. As you pull one off, it comes off and the next one is available to be taken.

Guest guest

Why? Do you want to change the current method of taking Charanamrita? Hands get sticky?

It is a tradition that after drinking the Charanamrita from your palm one would rub the palm over the head, so its like putting some nectar on your head as well.

How do you plan to do that with a cup.

Prabhu, why not keep the tradition going on....why this change? KC is so simple, if we just stick to the basics.

Guest guest

I think it's a good idea, prabhu, but it's not traditional and really it should not be done. Sorry, I just don't agree with it, but it's a nice idea...

~Vanamali

Traditions have to be somewhat maleable sometimes when being introduced widely into a culture that sees them a foreign.

I had never considered this before but have seen many awkward moments for newcomers at the charnamrita bowl. The thought of some soul who has been wandering for eons in birth and death coming right to that point and due to some simple circumstance is not able to partake is very very sad indeed.

Basically the real breakdown is that someone taking the time to explain such procedures to obvious newcomers is rare.

Think about it. It's your first time to a Krsna temple. Everyone has on traditional clothes and are singing in strange exotic languages(whether they themselves understand what is being sung or not, but that's another point). Ceremonies are going on that you have never seen before and don't understand.

When the fire is brought around during arotik one can see what to do by all the others doing it or the person bring the ghee lamp is right there to help you.

Not so at the table with the charnamrita water. I don't think Gaurachandra is suggesting making little paper cups manditory rather just a clean way to make the process more readily acceptable.

This simple idea strikes me as a product of thoughtfull thinking.

Guests feel an unavoidable culture shock. Those with more experience need to be aware of that and offer some simple guidance without waiting to be asked for it.

Guest guest

Basically the real breakdown is that someone taking the time to explain such procedures to obvious newcomers is rare.

>>> This, perhaps, should be rectified...

As I said, I think this is a good idea. Perhaps only for people who don't know what's going on, but not for everybody.

If you find your temple has a lot of visitors, this is perhaps a good idea. However, visitors usually have someone who has invited them to the temple. This person should take the responsibility of showing everything from where and why to remove your shoes, to how to take charanamrita and what it is, to how and when to take prasad, what it signifies, etc.

Just some thoughts... /images/graemlins/smile.gif

Vanamali

Guest guest

aren't you supposed to put your palms over your head, after taking the charanamrita.

---------

Some people drink, then place the palm of the right hand over their two eyes.

In my family, we take the teertham, then pass the right hand over our heads (also excess teertham is absorped in the process)

If you find your temple has a lot of visitors, this is perhaps a good idea. However, visitors usually have someone who has invited them to the temple. This person should take the responsibility of showing everything from where and why to remove your shoes, to how to take charanamrita and what it is, to how and when to take prasad, what it signifies, etc.

This is very important. Most Indians who come know all this as they most likely have been practicing since childhood, but for us Westerners enetering a Krishna temple can seem like stepping into another dimension. And it is. /images/graemlins/smile.gif

Guest guest

perhaps a brochure coul be made available to newcommers that explains aspects like charanarmita, arti, chanting etc.

Yes that is a very good idea. In very simple language. Devotees sometimes bow to each other and say______. This is why.

When the Deity doors open all the devotees bow and say_______. This is why.

Such a plain spoken brochure would be a very great idea I think.

Or even a small pass out booklet taking someone through the whole temple routine from morning services on throughout the day. Done in very great detail.

What is an aroti ceremony? Why is he waving a cloth,water and incense?

Why are they throwing water on everyone's head?

Everything.

I nominate a gHari ji and JNdas ji collaboration under the Audarya Fellowship logo.

Guest guest

How many visits does it take to find out what the significance of charnamrita or other things are. Ask questions, don't have to mouth feed everyone.

Since S. Prabhupada came to the west people came to temple, asked questions and became devotees. Please don't make a temple a tourist attraction, if one is inquisitive they will ask and by Krsna's mercy there will be someone to answer their questions.

Haribol.

Matr devo bhava pitr devo bhava

Acharya devo bhava atithi devo bhava

Guest is god, guestji. You should be delighted to be able to serve Krishna within your guest, and being hospitable is literally part of religion.

The first time I visited a temple I was so nervous I would do something wrong. I was already devoted to Krishna to an extent before I ever had the chance to enter a temple, so I was so thankful to have my husband there to show me what to do.

>How many visits does it take to find out what the significance of charnamrita or other things are.

Actually it took me quite a while to get the hang of things. You cannot take charanamrita with your left hand. Westerners don't generally know this. You should not take prasad with the left hand, that's another thing. Do not point your feet towards the deity-- this is important, but guests will have no idea about this. When doing pradakshinam, keep the god to your right and go in a clockwise direction- always go an odd number of times (three, five, seven, eleven...) These are NOT things that we in the west are brought up with, and I do believe that some "mouth-feeding" would be well-appreciated by our honorable guests.

Love,

Vanamali

Srila Prabhupada was willing to make adjustments to accomodate differing cultures in order to spread the message of the Gita. For example once he mentioned he was thinking to have a sermon hall like the churches with benches (pews) where people would wear their shoes and come in to hear the Gita or Bhagavatam.

Srila Prabhupada's interest was in getting people to take to Krishna consciousness, and he was willing to make cutural adjustments if it would benefit the spreading of Krishna's message.

The idea sprang up in my head a few days ago because I needed to carry a small amount of charnamrita to a dying bird a few blocks away. I thought "Wouldn't it be great if there were some small cups right now?" Bingo.

As Theist says, it wouldn't be mandatory, but would be there for those unfamiliar or reticent. I've seen new comers completely perplexed at the charnamrita bowl. And many don't want to get their hands sticky. Heck, I've seen people not want to take gulabjumons because it would make their hands sticky. Anyways, its just an idea.

Jndas, This (cultural adaptation) is a nice idea. However, if you want to keep any part of the tradition intact, then what's the harm in at least handing out some small leaflets to explain what's happening?

>For example once he mentioned he was thinking to have a sermon hall like the churches with benches (pews) where people would wear their shoes and come in to hear the Gita or Bhagavatam.

But did he ever propose replacing the temple and deity-worship with church-style ritual?

For me, some of the "cultural" things are very beautiful. That doesn't mean that the "charanamrita cups" idea shouldn't be considered. It's not a bad idea jndas. Sorry if I criticized too much.

Guest guest

C'mon Ancient, no one eat with their hands and than rubs the palm with food on the head.

Charanamrita is taken in our hand and than we rub it on our head in one of the scriptures where the importance of Charanamrita is mentioned all this is mentioned.

I doubt there are many people in India who would rub the thick and sticky charanamrita ISKCON commonly produces on their head. Even in ISKCON the hand is washed first with water, and then one rubs that plain water on one's head.

In most traditional places the charanamrita is primarily water, with a few things added such as camphor and spices; or in South India milk is also used primarily.

Generally on the special bathing days other items are used such as pancha-gavya (five items from a cow) or pancha-amrita (five nectarian items). On such festivals I always see hundreds of people carrying away the charanamrita in small clay pots and cups. Whats the difference between that and a paper cup in the west?

Srila Prabhupada was willing to make adjustments to accomodate differing cultures in order to spread the message of the Gita. For example once he mentioned he was thinking to have a sermon hall like the churches with benches (pews) where people would wear their shoes and come in to hear the Gita or Bhagavatam.

What ever it takes to bring in a crowd to listen. I know he liked the idea of Christian Science style reading rooms where people could just drop in and read his books in a quiet and clean enviroment. These are usually located in a small storefront in some main commercial area.