IndiaDivine.org
Sign in to follow this  
Guest guest

Prohibition of shoe wearing in Tirumala Tirupati

Rate this topic

Guest guest

In which areas of Tirumala-Tirupati is one prohibited to wear shoes? Are there additional areas where it is preferable? What is the reason of the prohibition. Does one have to remove ones shoes before tonsure?

There is a place where you can check your shoes in for free. It is near the queue complex. You can remove shoes before entering the queue complex. I don't know if you have to remove shoes before tonsuring. I would ask when you go to get it done. I don't think so.

When you go to papavinasam or akashaganga theerthams or other theerthams, just remove shoes nearby while bathing and at nearby shrines.

It's pretty much like any other temple in this respect.

You are very blessed to be going to Tirupati. Please convey my humble regards and obeisances to Sri Venkateshwara Swamy!

~vanamali

In previous times, acharyas like Ramanuja refused to let their feet touch the ground on the Thirumalai mountain, what to speak of shoes. They consider the mountain to be an incarnation of Ananta-sesha, the Lord's snake bed.

Thats a little too much for most of us to handle, so don't worry about it. Just be respectful to the place and follow what others are doing as far as shoes go.

Guest guest

Thank you for your reply. I'm still curious, I heard from someone that was already there, that shoes are removed before entering the tonsure area, is this area more holy, or is there significance to being barefoot during tonsure.